Cranky and ranting: the Wheel of Change Tarot

firemaiden

I'm trying to use the Wheel of Change tarot in a reading. I had already noticed that this deck has an irritating political agenda a mile long, but I was drawn to the colours, and the imaginative artwork.

But now I'm finding myself bristling with every card I turn over, and even more so when I read the book. I find myself disagreeing with almost everything she says, or finding it trite or childish, and the premise of many of the cards irritates me further still.

And yet, I want to work with it. I like the colours. (LOL) Genetti generously says in the preface of her book that she does not want her ideas to interfere with our own intuition - so I guess I can leave the lengthy write-ups on the cards alone.

I guess in a certain way, the artwork is meant to be irritating, abrasive even, so in that it succeeds.

Today I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the five of wands, its about "ritual" - and her write up suggests that engaging in rituals helps us free ourselves up somehow.

I can't understand how rituals could do anything but deaden, and it irks me.

But I guess there is ritual, and then there is ritual.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Imagemaker

I am very anti-ritual--I think doing the same thing over and over in just the same way is NOT comforting, it's mindbogglingly boring.

Ritual only frees me in that I go out the door and never come back.

dolphingirl

Maybe try doing something that gets you the same results that other people get from doing a ritual?

Personally ritual doesn't do a thing for me either but I probably get the same feelings from going for a walk in the park or splurging and going for a movie and popcorn.

Do something relaxing :) Does that help at all?

My other thought would be to maybe put the artists book away and try using a book that you feel more comfortable with with her deck?

Good Luck
Samantha

Jewel-ry

If you dislike the book that much but want to work with the deck, do an Umbrae --- lob the book

:)

firemaiden

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr....I do lob the book!! As I said above, she even generously offers that the book not colour our own intuition.

My point is that the deck irritates me, every card I turn over makes me bristle! And yet... I still want to work with it... strange isn't it.

I'd sort of like to hear from people who have this deck, as in does the political agenda bug you? How are you finding it to work with?

mj07

sometimes abrasion is good for the soul, fm, cleans you out a bit! If you're feeling this incredible and uncontrollable urge to use the cards, then they must have come into your life to teach you something.

I agree, lob the book, and maybe come up with your own interpretations of what the cards mean! I can't think on anyone better qualified or equipped to do it than you! :D

Astraea

Like you, I was very attracted to the colours and artwork of this deck, and took a chance on it. To my chagrin and disappointment, I discovered that this is yet another deck requiring one to learn a system. More and more, that kind of thing irritates me and strikes me as a gimmick. And yes, there is a decided political agenda built into this one. I find the book condescending, smarmy and annoying.

I still like the artwork, but I lobbed the book and the deck works just fine on its own. I don't read with it much because there are others I like more, though.

Umbrae

firemaiden said:
…hard time wrapping my mind around the five of wands, its about "ritual" - and her write up suggests that engaging in rituals helps us free ourselves up somehow.

I can't understand how rituals could do anything but deaden, and it irks me.

But I guess there is ritual, and then there is ritual.

Err…uh…it’s not my style of deck. I’m not attracted to the colors at all.

But as to the 5 of Wands, I’ve always taken it to be sort of a…like a ritual. Look at the Bond trading pits – guys are screaming, doing funny hand signals, pushing and shoving and from the outside – it looks like complete chaos. But to the traders, it’s a kind of a subtle dance – very ritualistic in nature.

See…to them it’s a ritualized dance. To you, it’s chaos.

This is a card that usually denotes conflicts because it represents the meeting of smooth waters and choppy waters.

firemaiden

Oooo, I see, a ritual, like a ritual fight - like when bull frogs compete to see who's throat is bigger?

I like Astrae's choice of words -- condescending, smarmy and annoying! ROFL!! that makes me feel better! I'm not alone :D

thanks for your kind words mj07 :) I think you may be right, a little abrasion might be good for the soul. (for some reason I asked for it, LOL)

musclegirl

Thou shalt not discredit other members' decks. Maybe the creator of this deck is an Aeclectic member. :)