Art card and it's relation to the Rider-Waite Temperance card

voxetoile

Hello everyone. My name is Jennifer and I am new to this forum. I've owned a Thoth Tarot deck for about 10 years, but have recently begun to take a greater interest in my readings. Most of the books I own and check out of the library are in reference to the traditional Rider-Waite deck (which I am going to purchase this evening), and the two don't necessarily coincide.

My question is about the Art card, which came up in a reading earlier. Is this basicially the same as the traditional "Temperance" card? I understand that it's meaning is that of balance and duality. It was reversed, and I was wondering if any of you have any more insight about this beautifully illustrated and fascinating card.

Aeon418

Hi voxetoile. Welcome to Aeclectic.

The Art card is pretty much the same as the RW Temperance card. This card is all about balance and the joining of opposites. The central figure of the Art card is a combination of the man and woman in the Lovers card. Also note how the alchemical lion and eagle have swapped colours.

All the elements in this card are being mixed together. It's a work of Art to produce a new synthesis. Something new that is the product of both parties and yet completely different from both at the same time.

Aeon418

The Golden Dawn Magical Tarot deck has two versions of Temperance. One is similar to the Rider-Waite version, the other is closer to the Thoth version.
http://www.astroamerica.com/tarot/t-magic2.jpg

Both versions are illustrative of different aspects of the alchemical formula "solve et coagula". The position of the solar glyph tells you which end of the path of Samekh the card corresponds to.

In both cases the divinatory meaning is the same.

ravenest

yeah, but no, but ...

voxetoile said:
Hello everyone. My name is Jennifer and I am new to this forum. I've owned a Thoth Tarot deck for about 10 years, but have recently begun to take a greater interest in my readings. Most of the books I own and check out of the library are in reference to the traditional Rider-Waite deck (which I am going to purchase this evening), and the two don't necessarily coincide.

My question is about the Art card, which came up in a reading earlier. Is this basicially the same as the traditional "Temperance" card? I understand that it's meaning is that of balance and duality. It was reversed, and I was wondering if any of you have any more insight about this beautifully illustrated and fascinating card.

Often in a workshop we will pick out the Thothcards that are more different from traditional trumps (either by order, attribution, artwork or title) thats a signal that with this particular card , specific attention is bought to the change. the best comprehension comes from an understanding of Thelemic philosophy ( &all of Thjoth must be seen in this context), but variences highlight important nodes (compare AC's 'Devil' with traditional, also Lust. Temperence.etc and especially 'The Aeon' (Last Judgement= end of the old, Aeon =begining of the new.