any thoughts on 'science'?

BrightEye

This card appeared in a reading I did this morning asking how I can win someone's trust (the other cards were Adjustment [another sword!] and 3 of Wands/Virtue). The Thoth 6 of Swords seems to depart radically from the RWS meaning of journey to new shores/leaving sth behind.

Since the key word is science and the number is 6/Tiphareth, could it be about a balanced mind, mirroring in a sense the meaning of Adjustment?

The rose and the cross in the middle seem to be important, but I'm still new to the deck and don't yet know what they refer to.

Aeon418

The RWS 6 of Swords always makes me laugh. Travel by water ? Huh!! This is a card of thoughts and the mind. I suspect that Waite just translated the astrological attribution of Mercury in Aquarius as Travel by Water. D'ohh!!

The 6 of Swords - Science. Definitely a card of a balanced and open mind. Ready to explore and experiment with anything and in any direction, just like a scientist. This card is also about being open and honest, but also about objectivity and looking facts in the face.

Taking that along with the other cards I would say it indicates taking the initiative in the situation. Be open, honest, and up front. But if it doesn't work out, hey that's just the way things are meant to be.

Dean

I think the Science card in the Thoth is definitely a card of mental balance a card for working things out which can solve problems, i like to see this card in times of difficulties for relationships, it's a card for reconciled differences between two partners, as in the RWS this card represents a time of moving away from difficulties and resolving issues that were unsolvable.

BrightEye

Thanks Aeon and Deanres.

Would the swords indicate talking? If they do, then I've tried that and it has got me nowhere. The other person is a water sign (I'm Libra) and uncomfortable talking (probably because there is not enough trust there, hence my question).

The only card that indicates initiative to me is the 3 of Wands. The others are balanced cards, especially Adjustment seems to me like someone who steps back and evaluates/waits?

Kahlie

Makes me think that Talking, although you think, it hardly has any effect, will slowly proof more benificial.
I'm thinking also that since both Swords Cards indicate Balance... How is the balance between Listening/Talking? Is it correct? Do you dominate the conversation to make your point? Do you give the other person enough time to respond?

Kahlie

Dean

I think the Adjustment card as similar aspects to the six of swords they have similar ideas interms of being both balanced cards, Adjustment is ruled by Libra so its a card of fairness or justice a time of moving into a more equal and balanced approach, in the six of swords this is ruled by Aquarius and Mercury so yes this card is about talking and discussing things out in the open.

BrightEye

Kahlie said:
Makes me think that Talking, although you think, it hardly has any effect, will slowly proof more benificial.
May I ask what makes you think that?

I think I give her plenty of time/opportunity for input.

Ross G Caldwell

It seems to me there is a delicacy of approach being called for here. Perhaps "tact" is the word it seems to be saying.

The 6 is the balanced sefira, and the intellect (Air) in balance is a very *conscious* application of intellectual power - it is assessment, judgement, deliberation. It is not intuition, but the mirror of intuition (straight down from Kether) expressed in words.

I would say the trump emphasizes the sense of balance in this reading - you have to get the heart of the matter (the heart is the center too). Why do you think you don't already have the trust you need?

So the swords all pointed at the heart might be saying "Get to the point".

The 3 of Wands - Virtue - suggests to me "Honesty" in this case.

To sum up, use your mind to consider the possibilities, and trust your mind to figure them out, then approach the problem (your sense of somebody else's lack of confidence/trust in you) that way. The reading is saying - you have the power to do this by being intellectually honest, and tactful, without needing to resort to other means of persuasion.

BrightEye

Ross G Caldwell said:
To sum up, use your mind to consider the possibilities, and trust your mind to figure them out, then approach the problem (your sense of somebody else's lack of confidence/trust in you) that way. The reading is saying - you have the power to do this by being intellectually honest, and tactful, without needing to resort to other means of persuasion.
In other words, I have to figure out the reason behind the lack of trust and then work out ways and means to earn it? So the cards don't say anything about interaction in the first instance?

Ross, this is very intellectual stuff. I read it 5 times. Sounds good though the way you put it.

Ross G Caldwell

BrightEye said:
In other words, I have to figure out the reason behind the lack of trust

Yes

and then work out ways and means to earn it?

I guess, if you figure out the reasons, the solutions will be obvious, or nearly so. Then you will only need the strength (honesty-"Virtue"-will) to carry it out.

So the cards don't say anything about interaction in the first instance?

I guess I agree with those who have said "talking". But make sure you know why you want to say what you have to say, and also plan in case things don't go your way in the imagined conversation(s). That's the message of the 6 of swords. The Trump "Adjustment" means - always stay balanced and don't let things get out of hand! (unbalanced).

Ross, this is very intellectual stuff. I read it 5 times. Sounds good though the way you put it.

LOL - I hope it helps. But the 3 of Wands is a demanding card; you have to be honest, to feel you are right, to have courage; you have to want to do it.