celtic cross

Eviemay

Below I have a list of what meanings I give to the positions in the Celtic Cross - however position 7 never really means emotions for me, I can't quiet put my finger on it.... Any suggestions?

1. present position
2. immediate influences
3. most apparent in life
4. root of the reading
5. Past influences
6. near future
7. ....emotions?
8. outside influences
9. hopes/fears
10. what is to come

The other positions work well for me....except 7. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Bright Blessings,
Evie

dangerdork

Hi Evie -

I always read and thought 7 was "How you see yourself" and 8 was "How others see you..."

which when comparing the two can lead to great insights...

Eviemay

Ahh!

For me position 8 is others influences on the situation. I like your interpretation of 7. prehaps I could try "how you percieve the situation"

Thanks for the info!
Evie

allibee

When I first started reading, the 7th position was 'you doorway from the past to the future' ... ie what you have to do to get there.
It seems odd now, so I rarely use the CC anymore, and if I do, I allow my intuition to tell me what is the meaning of the position, if any.
Moreso these days, there is a story in the cards that wishes to be told, and therefore the positions have barely any significance.

allibee

lawguy51

For me (and others I'm certain) this card represent you, your 'self', how your attitudes, bahaviour and emotions impact on the question at hand. It is sort of your reaction to the small cross (positions 1 and 2). By comparing and combining this position with your positions 4 and 9, you may find you have a more complete picture of your impact on the reading on an emotional, attitudinal and experiential level.

Lawguy51

JC

Here's the version I follow. It's been modified as I learn more.

1. Significator - the querant. I usually let them pick this card out for themselves
2. "What crosses you" - immediate opposition, could be internal, external or a combination of both
3. "What is beneath you" - the root of the problem, why the question was asked, situation around querant, very immediate past
4. "What is behind you" - also immediate past that the querant may or may not still be influenced by.
5. "What is above you" - also why the querant asked, what s/he wants, aspirations, goals, desires
6. "What is before you" - immediate future
7. "What is within you" - how the querant views themselves and their environment, where they percieve they fit into their environment
8. "What is outside you" - outside influences, how others view the querant and their situation, how others think the querant fits into their surroundings.
9. "What is before you" - future complications, further oppostition, how to deal with oppositions
10. "Ultimate outcome" - along with #6, this is what will happen

Celtic_Dragon

I always thought that the meaning was represented by it's location:
Current path(1)
Against(2 cross)
Base/support(3)
Past actions/decisions(4)
Desires(5)
Possible outcome from sitters' actions alone(6)
Summery of quarent's situation(7)
Known influences/friends & family(8)
Unknown influences/behind the scenes(9)
Possible outcome + new variables(10)

____5____10
____2____9
_4__1_6__8
____3____7
But then my Faery Wicca tarot book has it different also.

1. The base of the situation
2 (cross). The energy the querent is bringing to the situation
3. What could come or will eventualy happen
4. The strength or foundation of the situation
5. The element of change, what might be leaving or entering #3
6. The unexpected, what needs to be considered
7. Other people and how they relate to the querent
8. Self;how the querent is relating to others involved in the situation
9. What element needs to shift between the querent and others
10. Possible future if all positions are worked with

____3_____10
____2_____9
_6__1__5__8
____4_____7
Also does anyone use the last four positions? (11-14) Or is that just unique in that only my deck book has them listed. (And quite honeslty they seem redundant)

paradoxx

the position is use:
7 -this card is the person in question and their proper perspetive in teh reading
8 - this represents other people and how they relate to the person related in card 7
9 -inner feelings, emotions, hidden influences, the reading is coming to a conlcusion
10-conclusion, immediate outcome, what is coming to be, what is probably unavoidable

it is this grouping of 4 cards that make the celtic cross the celtic cross, it takes the information from the cross part and establisihes an independent set of interpretations based on other issues that may need to be addessed.

Legion

Position 7

Since the times that i've used the Celtic Cross have been in a more Psychoanalytical purpose, to try and understand and help people with the cards, I have put the seventh position as "How you view yourself" and the eight position as "How the outside world view you". This gives some room for the person to interprate, and a healthy idea of the differences that sometimes appear here.

theblackdahlia

Here's the version I follow. It's been modified as I learn more.

1. Significator - the querant. I usually let them pick this card out for themselves
2. "What crosses you" - immediate opposition, could be internal, external or a combination of both
3. "What is beneath you" - the root of the problem, why the question was asked, situation around querant, very immediate past
4. "What is behind you" - also immediate past that the querant may or may not still be influenced by.
5. "What is above you" - also why the querant asked, what s/he wants, aspirations, goals, desires
6. "What is before you" - immediate future
7. "What is within you" - how the querant views themselves and their environment, where they percieve they fit into their environment
8. "What is outside you" - outside influences, how others view the querant and their situation, how others think the querant fits into their surroundings.
9. "What is before you" - future complications, further oppostition, how to deal with oppositions
10. "Ultimate outcome" - along with #6, this is what will happen

Great! Thank you!