Baffled by your comments on Courts

Parzival

Baffled By Your Comments on Courts

Lillie said:
Hi fulgour!

Yes. Tarot is tarot.
And sometimes I think people over analyse it, try to make it fit this system or that.
Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.
It can be an interesting excercise, but...
I don't know, just because something fits, or almost fits, it doesn't mean it is meant to be there.

Someone studies something, and begin to understand it in their own way, and to see correspondances between it and other things they understand.
Their own metaphors and images.
But then other people get the idea that they have to be able to see it that way too, and if they cannot see it through the same metaphors and images they feel that they do not understand it properly.
As though understanding the metaphor has become more important than understanding the thing itself.

But people can see this stuff anyway they want, they can use their own metaphors and imaginings. Whatever makes sense to them...[ quotes from Lillie]

A little wit and wisdom from Lillie that spoke to me. Yes, we do narrow ourselves into symbolic fixations, and our metaphorical take replaces the actual image. What about diving deep down directly imto the image that we see and staying there for awhile? The image then unites with our sight and something happens, like the Taoist listening to a waterfall or the Haiku poet tuning into the moment. Many prefer a guide to give us someone else's definitive vision and explanation. I fall for that,too. But a great Tarot deck is beyond charts, words, definitions, formulas. It's a pool for a frog to jump into. A journey like the spiral of a conch. Measurable, immeasurable.

ravenest

Frank Hall said:
As though understanding the metaphor has become more important than understanding the thing itself.

Remindes me of intro to our course on elemental theory, Qabalah, astrology. etc; "The map is not the territory."

firecatpickles

I have to agree with Lillie. I always take what others say with a grain of salt. I "see" court cards the way I see them. If someone else's interps fit mine, well, fine. If not, well, fine. It doesn't matter to me.

But when you are beginning it is important to take others' views into consideration and then test it to see if it works for you.

I think you will rarely find the "my way or the highway" mentality here.

KK
:spade: