View Single Post
Citizen

MikeH 
real coins and images of coins

So you are saying that the first artist did the Lover and the suit cards in both decks, and then 5 or 10 years later, whenever the second artist was employed, the second artist did the World card for both. Yes, I suppose that's possible, although I am still skeptical. Come to think of it, I don't remember your theory about how far apart the two artists were.

Now I have something else. I have been looking at Ross's images, for which I thank him. The more I look at them, the more puzzled I become. I put them next to each other. The Visconti coin is top right, Cary-Yale top left, and Brera-Brambilla bottom. Here are the obverses.

They are similar but by no means identical, even allowing for wear and tear and the worn edges of the Visconti. The horse's rein is curved on the Visconti, straight on the CY. The sword comes against the edge differently. The rider stands more stiffly in the Visconti. Above, I rotated the Visconti counter-clockwise a bit, so that the horses would match up better. But then the rider, sitting straight up in Rossís image, looks completely unstable, compared with the other two. And several other things, like the horses' legs.

It is the same with the reverses.

The wing comes up against the top edge differently. The snake at the bottom edge is at a different angle (I didn't rotate anything.) The two sides are different. And so on. But I am no expert. What do you make of these apparent discrepancies?

Another interesting comparison is with an actual coin from the 1450 period, Francesco's ducat reproduced on "Andy's Playing Cards." It looks different from any of the others. But on stylistic grounds alone, isn't it more similar to the two cards than to the Visconti ducat? (Here the Visconti rider is sitting stright up; I didn't rotate it.) The Visconti has less artistic sophistication than the other three, in the naturalness of the figures. It looks to me as though the coin-maker had orders to copy the Visconti design. But he did it in a later style. At this time, the mid-15th century, artistic style was changing rapidly, toward greater naturalism.

I have not examined all the coins on all the CY and BB Coins cards. In fact, I have not examined any--just the blown-up enhanced images Ross and Pollet have given me. Doing so may or may not shed further light on the subject.
Top   #35