5 of cups-qualities in a person.

Oracle Modeste

REGRET, REGRET, REGRET!!!!

Upright or reversed, regret!!!!!!!!

Either that or it is someone who is holding on to the past, and who will not let go long enough to look to the future.

Crystal17

gorgeousbutterfly said:
haha to each their own, i rather be called a cry baby , then an emo! an emo has crazy styled hair!

*lol*, but a lot of emo guys are kinda cute ;) i would say a 5 of cups is someone who is living in the past and wishing they could turn back time and do things differently.

satine

The 5 of Cups represents to me someone who tends to carry a lot of guilt, who leans toward depression, who analyzes the mistakes of the past rather than looking toward the future... Even when the person's blessings- those full cups- are pointed out to the person, this ends up being just another source of guilt- and the person is then hard on himself (or herself) for not being thankful enough...

Now of course this card can represent a minor and passing regret- no big deal in the grand scheme of things- but if this card comes up as representing a core quality of the person, then these initial descriptions might apply.

I know we each have our own "takes" on the cards, and we each have our own experiences that give layers of meaning to each card, but for what it's worth, the 5 of cups is a card that absolutely represents (for me) the main qualities of my father who has battled depression his entire life. He is so beautiful, has so much to offer, and he does have many blessings (including his incredible talent as a classical pianist), but he lives in the past and wonders what he should have done, could have done in every situation going all the way back to his childhood (and he is in his mid-60s now)... and he just about drowns himself in regret. I see the man in the picture (of the RWS deck) as an emotional person, someone who is mourning... but I feel some of the swords energy in this card as well. Emotions are often fueled by thoughts; if you focus too much on analyzing every past event from every possible angle, you really can drive yourself crazy, become depressed, and you're much less likely to see let alone truly appreciate the blessings that come your way. I'm typing in a stream of consciousness right now, but I hope this still makes sense...

BLFO

What a minute....when you say qualities, do you mean the good points about them like qualities versus flaws, or their personality in general good or bad?

It is it about qualities (good) versus flaws (bad) then what is the good of a 5 Cups person?

gorgeousbutterfly

I meant both good and bad qualities, so either way.

Thirteen

satine said:
the 5 of cups is a card that absolutely represents (for me) the main qualities of my father who has battled depression his entire life. He is so beautiful, has so much to offer, and he does have many blessings (including his incredible talent as a classical pianist), but he lives in the past and wonders what he should have done, could have done in every situation going all the way back to his childhood (and he is in his mid-60s now)... and he just about drowns himself in regret.
Wow. Thank you for sharing something so personal. I think you really captured the card at it's deepest level.

BLFO

So what is the good qualities of a 5 cups person? That they are sincerely apologetic?

gorgeousbutterfly

BLFO said:
So what is the good qualities of a 5 cups person? That they are sincerely apologetic?

positively i see a person who is capable of grieving for a loss of a loved one? and being in peace with it. also five of cups can mean creative change.

Tarotvoyant

5 Cups

When I see this card, I hear the saying "Don't Cry over spilled milk,, get up and move on !

Grizabella

It can mean someone who enjoys feeling sorry for themselves, and there really are those people. They're not in a genuine depression, they've just learned that feeling sorry for themselves works to get a desired reaction from those around them. It's a manipulative ploy with them.