Ten of Swords & Ten of Cups as Feelings

Anika.Layne

Ten of Swords & Ten of Cups Feelings Combination

Hello awesome AT community!

So, I finally have a card combination that seems to completely confuse me to the point where I am searching for your help! Ten of Swords and Ten of Cups together regarding feelings for someone. As part of a larger spread, you pull TWO cards for “what are his feelings for me?” so both answer the question. I wanted to make that note that one wasn’t pulled as a clarifier.

Here is a bit of background to help explain my interpretations for this combo. A guy and myself hit it off wonderfully. He was definitely into me, kind, gentlemanly, considerate, etc. All of a sudden, he got cold feet/afraid. I know this because when we talked about why he all of a sudden disappeared, he said he didn’t want to get too serious to get hurt again.

I know he was in a relationship with a woman who completely destroyed his world, cheated on him, etc and he really hasn’t recovered from it or dealt with it, therefore doesn’t want to put himself out there or trust women/anyone. Since ceasing “dating” and progressing the relationship, we’ve seen each other while out with our mutual friends, and always have good conversation/time. Whenever we have a moment to talk or are able to be alone he makes it evident he still has feelings for me and said he wants to trust me. However, nothing has progressed, he doesn’t seem to let himself feel that for some reason.

Would the 10/Swords mean that I am helping him to see that the worst/hurt is over? It is okay to trust me and be with me because the trauma of his past relationship is over? Or could it mean that his feelings are just gone? He hit his bottom and is just moving on from me.

However, paired with the 10/Cups, to me this card is like the ultimate, “You make me so ridiculously happy!” or “You make me so much happier than I ever thought.” “I want to be with you because I feel safe and comfortable.”

In addition to him not taking any action, I feel a bit contradicted when both are combined to show his feelings, since I typically get a negative vibe from 10/S and positive one from 10/C. I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and give your insight!

Anika.Layne

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, Anika.Layne!

I think the two cards clearly show that he is conflicted right now. While he feels like he could be happy with you (10C), he still hasn't gotten over the betrayal/hurt/devastation of his last relationship (10S), which is affecting his feelings for you.

tarotcognito

First thing that crossed my mind was someone who wants a solid long-term relationship but is swimming in a world of hurt. There is definitely a lot of internal confusion, fear and pain warring with hope and the desire for something good.

Hope this makes a bit of sense.

JadoreHauteCouture

hello... when i first started seriously studying tarot, (and i was already doing tarot for about 4 years prior that), i still couldnt crack Tens... Reading were all good and then i pulled 10 of something and i got stuck... I wrongly saw 10 of swords as something negative and that person is being trapped in pain (no, that is 9 of swords, not 10), and i also thought that 10 of cups is always positive meaning happy feelings and unicorns (no, that is 9 of cups).... So one day, i cracked them and since then i have no problems with 10s and they are pretty accurate... now, i dont wanna rewrite explanations, so im just gonna copy & paste my notes, so appreciate it cuz i never share my notes. I think it is explained well so i hope u will understand:

Tens of Something for dummies:

tens always, ALWAYS mean there is too much of something...
cups - too many emotions, you are annoyed by something
pentacles - too much materia, you are bored by something
swords - too much of thinking, you overanalyze and get irritated
wands - too many feelings, you cannot handle your feelings and you become tense and violent

In 10s of cups the person is basically fed up with everything and everyone when all 10 cups (emotions) are running over the edge. Person then creates conflicts since he/she has already accomplished everything in love life and all these emotions keep running out of him. Message of 10s of cups would then be to try to find new point of interest (go back to Ace of cups) and take a break from your loved ones since you were spending way too much time together (more time would only create quarrels)...

I assume that 10s of pentacles is also when you become bored in the situation (you get too many pentacles = too much security) but i guess its the situation when you get too comfortable and are not willing to do anything anymore - becoming too passive (pentacles = earth, being too connected to ground). Things seem too good and too calm which can create perfect environment for adultery and so on, if partners fall asleep in stereotype.

10 of wands represents human urges and instincts (fire - strong sometimes even animal energy). in case of 10 of wands, usually person is pictured carrying 10 wands on their back struggling to carry them all. 10 of wands therefore again represent too much of something. In this case its too much of uncontrollable raw energy (feelings) causing people to exaggerate and become violent. Best way is to find self-control of this energies and feelings in order to close the circle of wands and start again at ace of wands by finding new raw energies than person can use.

10 of swords means overthinking. Swords representing mind and thoughts have turned against its owner and now these swords are stabbing him. Person feels like he lost everything, all securities in order to build new things in the future. Message here is to realize that person has to start over again without pitying himself and whining and taking the responsibilities for his own actions. Person then get back to work and get new ideas of Ace of Swords.

So, in your case. First card was 10 of swords which means that he was looking for problems in his mind that he created them himself... He overthought and overanalyzed the situation over and over and over like a broken record, that he persuaded himself that it is pointless to get into another relationship. That led to 10 of cups, which was being fed up with someone - in this case you. He still cares, but everytime he is with you, he is just weird and irritated for no reason... When someone is in 10 of cups mood, you simply CANNOT communicate with them... the cups are running and no matter what you say, its no good... they just have emotions overflow... You simply need to give space to these people and wait... Either they will realize whats happening and calm down or either they will keep tripping and being all drama....

Does this explain the situation???

starrystarrynight

Tens are also about transitions (to new cycles which would be represented by Aces.) But when you get a prominence of them in a spread, it often makes me feel that the signifier is stuck in the transitional phase (as others here have suggested) and just can't seem to move on to the new cycles suggested. So, here, the guy is "stuck" with conflictual and depressive thoughts (10 of Swords) about completing the cycle of emotions (10 of Cups) he was previously involved in--i.e. his past relationship that, for all intents and purposes, has not ever gotten closure in his mind and heart. In other words, he still isn't over his last relationship, whether or not he wants to believe that.

GotH

hello... when i first started seriously studying tarot, (and i was already doing tarot for about 4 years prior that), i still couldnt crack Tens... Reading were all good and then i pulled 10 of something and i got stuck... I wrongly saw 10 of swords as something negative and that person is being trapped in pain (no, that is 9 of swords, not 10), and i also thought that 10 of cups is always positive meaning happy feelings and unicorns (no, that is 9 of cups).... So one day, i cracked them and since then i have no problems with 10s and they are pretty accurate... now, i dont wanna rewrite explanations, so im just gonna copy & paste my notes, so appreciate it cuz i never share my notes. I think it is explained well so i hope u will understand:

Tens of Something for dummies:

tens always, ALWAYS mean there is too much of something...
cups - too many emotions, you are annoyed by something
pentacles - too much materia, you are bored by something
swords - too much of thinking, you overanalyze and get irritated
wands - too many feelings, you cannot handle your feelings and you become tense and violent

In 10s of cups the person is basically fed up with everything and everyone when all 10 cups (emotions) are running over the edge. Person then creates conflicts since he/she has already accomplished everything in love life and all these emotions keep running out of him. Message of 10s of cups would then be to try to find new point of interest (go back to Ace of cups) and take a break from your loved ones since you were spending way too much time together (more time would only create quarrels)...

I assume that 10s of pentacles is also when you become bored in the situation (you get too many pentacles = too much security) but i guess its the situation when you get too comfortable and are not willing to do anything anymore - becoming too passive (pentacles = earth, being too connected to ground). Things seem too good and too calm which can create perfect environment for adultery and so on, if partners fall asleep in stereotype.

10 of wands represents human urges and instincts (fire - strong sometimes even animal energy). in case of 10 of wands, usually person is pictured carrying 10 wands on their back struggling to carry them all. 10 of wands therefore again represent too much of something. In this case its too much of uncontrollable raw energy (feelings) causing people to exaggerate and become violent. Best way is to find self-control of this energies and feelings in order to close the circle of wands and start again at ace of wands by finding new raw energies than person can use.

10 of swords means overthinking. Swords representing mind and thoughts have turned against its owner and now these swords are stabbing him. Person feels like he lost everything, all securities in order to build new things in the future. Message here is to realize that person has to start over again without pitying himself and whining and taking the responsibilities for his own actions. Person then get back to work and get new ideas of Ace of Swords.

So, in your case. First card was 10 of swords which means that he was looking for problems in his mind that he created them himself... He overthought and overanalyzed the situation over and over and over like a broken record, that he persuaded himself that it is pointless to get into another relationship. That led to 10 of cups, which was being fed up with someone - in this case you. He still cares, but everytime he is with you, he is just weird and irritated for no reason... When someone is in 10 of cups mood, you simply CANNOT communicate with them... the cups are running and no matter what you say, its no good... they just have emotions overflow... You simply need to give space to these people and wait... Either they will realize whats happening and calm down or either they will keep tripping and being all drama....

Does this explain the situation???

Totally explains it to me. I get it!

JadoreHauteCouture

Tens are also about transitions (to new cycles which would be represented by Aces.) But when you get a prominence of them in a spread, it often makes me feel that the signifier is stuck in the transitional phase (as others here have suggested) and just can't seem to move on to the new cycles suggested. So, here, the guy is "stuck" with conflictual and depressive thoughts (10 of Swords) about completing the cycle of emotions (10 of Cups) he was previously involved in--i.e. his past relationship that, for all intents and purposes, has not ever gotten closure in his mind and heart. In other words, he still isn't over his last relationship, whether or not he wants to believe that.

Yes, all tens close the cycle (so they are the ending of a cycle) but also open a new one (they are a beginning of a new cycle), because 10=1+0=1. So all Tens go back to Aces.... lets take a look..

Ten of Cups talks about being irritated by everyone... When i pull 10 cups for someone, i can see that person is nervous and moody for no reason and even that person doesnt even know why. Usually it is when he/she spends too much time with someone and then she wants to be by herself/himself. Good way to overcome such feelings is to find a new motivation, new emotions and admiration for others and that is by drinking from Ace of Cups. Finding new ways to love others... It is getting a bit psychological but only that person has to find courage to start to like others as they are...

Ten of pentacles is when your life got stuck into stereotypes. All your dreams and everything you ever wished for happened and now when you fulfilled everything, there is this sudden emptyness - what to do now? It is important for people - especially in marriage - to set new goals and a new direction so that they start at Ace of pentacles... Usually it isnt the families with problems who cheat... Wives and husbands are too busy working, raising kids, getting stuff... But when spouses got enough comfort to be home and do nothing, or is just surrounded by so much materia and no problems (the life they always dreamt for), then the materia eats up the emotional bond and boredom tempts for adultery or divorce (divorce could be 9 of swords, btw. but that is another issue)...

Ten of wands is sudden aggression and violence inside when person suddenly doesnt know what to do, when he/she thinks they no longer can handle all the problems... It is again important to go back to Ace of Wands and find that strong raw energy to overcome the obstacles and problems... Dunno whether I said it here but all Aces are unstable (because they are number 1, and 1 means ego), so if person doesnt manage to use Ace of Wands for his/her own benefit, it can turn against him/her... it is better to use uncontrollable energy of Ace of Wands, rather than fight with it (be lazy and verbally fight with everyone)... then the fire can literally burn you, instead of burning your demons... Fire is a good servant, but a bad master...

Ten of Swords is overanalyzing and it can be broken by mind enlightement of Ace of Swords. New ideas, new point of view. I think this does not need further explanation...

I also agree with the blockage... For me, all reversed cards represent blockage and inability to move to another card (in this case Aces). So if i was doing the reading, i would prolly pull reversed Tens, but that is up to the querent.... Everybody has their own system that works for them... For me, being stuck in the past relationship would represent Threes, not Tens, regarding there is a third person involved... even though not physically...

Ps 2 others: thx for appreciating my 2 cents :)

Anika.Layne

Thanks to all who have replied :)

Jadore, wow, thank you for sharing your notes with everyone, I do feel special!! I have never thought about 10s in that sense at all, very insightful and thought-provoking! I suppose that is where each individual's ideas, experiences, etc. form the way each he/she reads cards. No one has the same view through and through. These will come in handy for any future readings on any subject.

I do agree with some aspects, others I seem to still be a tad resistant to based on my own experiences. 10s haven't shown themselves as super overbearing in my readings, personally. 10/S isn't obviously the best thing to see, but I seem to view it as "Okay, you've hit your bottom hard, but there is only one way to go and that is up! The worst is over. Things are looking up." So relating to the situation/question regarding feelings, maybe one could view it as a realization that hurt can start to be put in the past. Thoughts anyone? I don't feel like I have a good enough grasp on these two combined as the "feelings for" aspect though... hmm.

10/C is comfort and happiness in my eyes from readings I have done. This seems easier for me, I view it as positive feelings. However, combined with 10/S, that past hurt hides and masks the expression of the positive feelings of 10/C?? Or am I way off?

I agree and see the cards working together with some of your points, too, Jadore. 10/C as being too much emotion, as well as 10/S mixed in as thinking too much, which I can attribute to this situation. Confusion, not knowing what to do. Seeing potential in a new relationship, but also still hurt from the past. But at the same time, 10/S is like, the worst is over, you can see the sun rising on the horizon. A person can be on their way up, as the OLD way of doing things, or feelings in this situation, has died. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Starrystarrynight, I can definitely see that scenario fitting into this situation. He seems to hold hurt he hasn't dealt with. However, the question was about his feelings FOR a PERSON, not just in general. Does this change any meaning, or am I trying to read the cards wrong? This interpretation of the 10s definitely can fit our situation, but I'm digging deep for the meaning of these cards as feelings FOR someone, not just how he feels inside/personally. Does that make sense what I ask? Ahh these cards and my questions! haha :)

Lokasenna & rwcarter, I feel you both have great interpretations for the cards in regard to relating them to feelings FOR a person. I can understand these better answering my burning question as these as feelings FOR someone. On first read, I felt that this interpretation hit home a bit better and made more sense to me, but pieces and aspects of everyone else's has greatly helped, too.

This is some great discussion. I appreciate all who are contributing to my learning! I'd like to hear if anyone has something additional to share about the 10/C 10/S interacting as feelings FOR someone, or am I trying to dig too deep to understand when the answer is right in front of me?!

I hope I haven't asked too many questions if they are obvious to everyone else :)

anika

WalesWoman

I think 10 Swords is how he has taken his past hurts and fear of betrayal to the extreme, to the point where it cancels out all the finer points and abundance of the 10 Cups. His mind at this point, or his fears rather is that love is all a big fat rosy illusion that leaves one hurting.

Hopefully at some point he will allow himself to trust again and not judge every other woman that enters his life by the bad, bad ex girlfriend.

But in some ways there is promise, that while these are the dark times, they are ending and as once cycle ends, another begins...maybe he will find out love can and does exist and happiness is not some fairytale ending.