The Sun

haggy

Does the sun represent god?

I was thinking since everything living things on earth rely on the sun for the continuance of their lives.

Sulis

Well it could represent the thing that enables all life on the planet so if that's God for you then I don't see why not.

willowfox

Does the sun represent god?

I was thinking since everything living things on earth rely on the sun for the continuance of their lives.

***No it is not god but instead just an ordinary yellow star, with no mind or feelings of any kind, its a thing.

PAMUYA

If you believe in a creator, anything could represent God.

danieljuk

it depends on your own beliefs! Many ancient religions worshipped the sun in that way like Druids, Egyptians and others, just like the opposite the Moon. For me it doesn't represent God but it is one of my fave cards!

Richard

Just as the yellow thing in the sky in the Tarot card represents the Sun, so also the Sun itself can be regarded as a symbol of the force which creates and sustains life. This is the reason the ancients celebrated the return of the Sun at Winter Solstice and is probably why the Church decided to date the birth of the Christ, the giver of life, around this time. So the Sun may be regarded as symbolic of God. Of course, as the mythologist Joseph Campbell observed, the term God itself is merely a metaphor for what one believes to be the ultimate-ultimate, whatever that may be.

Carla

Just as the yellow thing in the sky in the Tarot card represents the Sun, so also the Sun itself can be regarded as a symbol of the force which creates and sustains life. This is the reason the ancients celebrated the return of the Sun at Winter Solstice and is probably why the Church decided to date the birth of the Christ, the giver of life, around this time. So the Sun may be regarded as symbolic of God. Of course, as the mythologist Joseph Campbell observed, the term God itself is merely a metaphor for what one believes to be the ultimate-ultimate, whatever that may be.

The sun has been closely associated with deity, or supreme consciousness, or as Lon Milo Duquette calls it, 'The Great G', for time out of mind. The Sun could certainly be read as God...or just life. It could be the Force in Star Wars (before they came up with all that midi-chlorian malarkey.)