The Process: Beginnings

violinlily

can't say any more than has already been said!!!

**darting around to find a notebook**

Karenwhe

Why not use the computer for journaling.........??????????

My LIFE is in the computer (and yes, I backup everything every day).

Anyway, I don't think I could hand write anymore even if my life depended on it......

Jewel

Bravo!!!! Umbrae where were you when I started out? *LOL* I remember how overwhelmed I would get sometimes with the books ... and trying so hard to memorize those meanings. One day I just tired and I bought a notebook and put up all my books and did exactly what you said ... that is when I learned to love tarot. I cannot imagine living without my notebook(s) and pencil.

Moonbow

I'm bumping this very important thread -

It's a must for all levels - I think :)

Red Kite

Hi Umbrae,

I've just stumbled across this/these threads from another one I was following.

Thank you for giving me another viewpoint. One which is helping me make more sense of my journey. I am a complete beginner, trying to reach my intuition, which upbringing has blocked off. I know that if I become wedded to the LWB I shall never be able to sever the cord!

In this thread you recommend reading 'A Wicked Pack of Cards'. I've looked on Amazon (.co.uk) and there are several books with the same title. Please can you tell me who the author is?

tarotbear

"stand on your L foot with your R big toe in your nose ...

Khatruman said:
In any case, I wish you were there 16 years ago, when I felt a pull towards Tarot, bought a book called The Tarot Workbook by Emily Peach, and read the first few pages which required me to memorize correlations to the planets, astrology, kabbalah, et al, ad nausuem, before I even looked at the cards!!!!

I felt that way about Connolly book "tarot - a new handbook for the Apprentice" which a friend gave to me years after I had gottenn into tarot. She found it under her bed where it had been for years. As I read this book which follows similar lines - that you must know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ABOUT A CARD BEFORE YOU EVEN TOUCH THEM (?????) - I was struck by the concept of how boring they were making Tarot for the apprentice. Looking at the notes my freind made in the margins, it took her a lot of time to start (and give up, finally) on this book. I calculate that a VERY interested person would be studying for at least four months before they ever touch the cards ... NO way, Jose!

tmgrl2

Red Kite said:
Hi Umbrae,

In this thread you recommend reading 'A Wicked Pack of Cards'. I've looked on Amazon (.co.uk) and there are several books with the same title. Please can you tell me who the author is?

A Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot

by

Ronald Decker, Theirry DePaulis and Michael Dummett

St. Martin's Press.

I got mine from Amazon. com

terri

Also by Decker and Dummett

A History of the Occult Tarot

peridot

Wow Umbrae, that was fantastic. You’re a really engaging writer. Thank you for all that advice. I know you said spiral notebook but I really like the pretty journals…. so I went out and got one and I’m stealing a pencil from work. Oops I mean borrowing :)

Ahria

I have two black sprial notebooks, now I know what they are for :D

Thank you Umbrae for a truly inspiring introduction to the tarot.

Diana

peridot said:
Wow Umbrae, that was fantastic. You’re a really engaging writer.

Why don't you ask Umbrae if he won't PUBLISH A BOOK!!!!!!!

Maybe he'll listen to you. He doesn't listen to me. :(