The Icky Green Deck- Not so icky!

thinbuddha

Naw- not me selling. I'm just looking for a big deck with the 3 Magus cards (preferably not a greenie), so I kinda know what's on ebay at any given moment.

-tb

Abrac

Thanks for that link thinbuddha.

Icky green really isn't so icky. It looks better than I thought it would. I still like the gray borders better though.

fof

Lillie

thinbuddha said:
Naw- not me selling. I'm just looking for a big deck with the 3 Magus cards (preferably not a greenie), so I kinda know what's on ebay at any given moment.

-tb

The greenie never had the three magi.
If it has them it's not green.

Emily

fools_fool said:
Thanks for that link thinbuddha.

Icky green really isn't so icky. It looks better than I thought it would. I still like the gray borders better though.

fof

Hi fools_fool,

Those are some of the best scans of a green Thoth that I've seen - but still doesn't come close to holding the actual deck in your hands lol.

sunflowr

The one on ebay... wow, that's a green one! ;) I thought "green" meant a green cast or optical illusion caused by the green border. Nope. When you guys say green, you mean REEEEEEAAAALLLY greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen! ;)

prudence

hmmm, you know, until now, I had thought that my deck was not the icky green one, but looking at the scans, I may have been wrong. I removed my borders ages ago, right after I first joined AT, so I can't compare the borders. But the images seem to be the green ones. I saved my OTO card, it says copyright 1978, US Games Systems Inc, and Samual Weiser, printed in Belgium. Is this indeed the notorious green deck? I got it new at the local bookstore, over a year ago.

My Priestess card is so faded, it is making me sad, compared to that scan.
Also this one came with the UH card, not the 3 Magi.

Lillie

You could try checking the backs.

The greenies had no white border, and so the cross is larger than on the non green, white bordered ones.

Try comparing the backs of the cut deck to an uncut deck. (if you have one around!

Or just scan in the back of one, and I can try to compare them to mine.

No! check the back of the uncut OTO card! does it have a white border?

Just to confuse the issue...
I believe there were various printings of the non green deck, some brighter than others!

Also I believe that some green decks are greener than others.

There should not really have been any green decks in the shops a year ago, I think they stopped printing them around 2000.
But it could have been old stock.

sunflowr

Lee said:
You can see a comparison of the green and new versions at tarotpassages.com:

http://www.tarotpassages.com/thoth1.jpg

-- Lee

Now see? I like that green border! It makes it look "richer" somehow. I dont see it as "icky" at all. The colors seem better too. Maybe just the scan?

On the other side of the coin, that one on ebay I saw yesterday.. now *that's* icky.

So now I'm confused.

prudence

Lillie said:
You could try checking the backs.

The greenies had no white border, and so the cross is larger than on the non green, white bordered ones.

Try comparing the backs of the cut deck to an uncut deck. (if you have one around!

Or just scan in the back of one, and I can try to compare them to mine.

No! check the back of the uncut OTO card! does it have a white border?

Just to confuse the issue...
I believe there were various printings of the non green deck, some brighter than others!

Also I believe that some green decks are greener than others.

There should not really have been any green decks in the shops a year ago, I think they stopped printing them around 2000.
But it could have been old stock.

sure enough, the backs have no border. Oh, well, my greenie is uniquely mine and I love her.

But I may track down another deck maybe a smaller Thoth, in German or something. I really want to see these images as clearly as I can.