Mystical Origins of Tarot

Tarotphelia

The best thing about The Devil's Picturebook is Mr. Huson's drawings. Especially the red embossed devil on the cover. I read it knowing it was imperfect and speculative , but so is a lot of the information here. Interesting nonetheless.

Terrie

Dark Inquisitor said:
The best thing about The Devil's Picturebook is Mr. Huson's drawings. Especially the red embossed devil on the cover. I read it knowing it was imperfect and speculative , but so is a lot of the information here. Interesting nonetheless.

The same for MYSTICAL ORIGINS OF THE TAROT. Most cards have two to four drawings, but the juggler has six. Really nice art work! The drawings make the text fun to read.

Cerulean

Terrie, on Paul Huson...

You said:

Cerulean, thanks for all your details! It seems that you might be more qualified to write a detailed history than Huson! (I'm serious, not being sarcastic.) But I suppose Decker/Dummett might have the details right?

Cerulean's reply:
In general, I think Paul Huson is more qualified to have in his writing, "woven such a historic tapestry". He has taken many details from hundreds of years of history and weaved it in a way that will probably inspire people...or they will just enjoy his work for what richness it brings to them. Perhaps the fact that he inspired me to look at certain topics again from my old class notes is exactly the kind of inspiration his book should provide.

I truly like Decker and Dummett, as well and they are excellent references to me.

My small areas of study in Italian art history and poetry that touch on tarocchi need to be broadened and deepened..and my looks at later aspects of tarot history also need to be broadened and deepened, definitely!

So I appreciate Paul Huson's book, very much. The drawings are very good.

I hope others are enjoying it as well.

Regards,

Cerulean

jmd

I have read the earlier version of the book many years ago, and look forward to adding this updated one to my list of books.

As the earlier version was certainly one to add to one's library, it's good to see others recommending his update.

augursWell

I bought this book a few days ago as it kept drawing my attention every time I was in that area of the bookstore. :) Also after reading this thread I decided it would be a useful purchase. I've not finished reading it but I'm glad I bought it. If nothing else it is at least an historical framework upon which to hang my own sparse knowledge of Tarot history. It seems well documented and historically accurate, as far as I can tell.

I think the whole idea of following each Tarot card in modern decks throughout its "lineage" from the original playing card to decks of today is a very useful and unique one. As he states early on, he doesn't ascribe to the idea that one must stick to these canonical meanings as the only valid meaning but one must arrive at one's own. However, it is valuable to me to be able to see all of the other meanings that others have given to particular cards and see how those cards and meaning came about.

I also find his theory about the four castes of ancient persia an intrigueing one.

All in all a worthwhile book.

firemaiden

I've been reading this on and off when I find it in the bookstore. It looks excellent. I really really want this one!

Abrac

I'm a bit of a latecomer to this book but I'm really glad I finally got around to reading it. It adds significantly to the scholarship that's already out there. A lot of Huson's conclusions satisfy for me some unanswered questions that none of the others do.

I don't agree with him on everything though. He still concludes that Force in the Visconti-Sforza depicts Hercules about to smash the Nemean lion's head. While the artist may have used that as his inspiration, it seems to actually depict the man and lion working together against a common foe. If Hercules was battling the lion, wouldn't it be directing its aggression at him? :)

Greg Stanton

I think that "Mystical Origins of the Tarot" is one of the best books on the subject out there. Together with Robert Place's "The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination" they form a very nearly complete picture of Tarot history. I always recommend these two together when people ask for good books on Tarot.

Dummet's (et al) "Wicked Pack of Cards" and "History of the Occult Tarot" are another fine source of information. However, Dummet is not sympathetic to those of us who are mystically inclined -- in fact, he's downright hostile, especially in the first book. For pure history, though, these books can't be beat.

Bernice

This is a book I do not regret buying, for dispite the historical inaccuracies in the early part - which only served to make me question & dig deeper ("inspire me" as someone else has said) - the writing style is not dogmatic, a big plus for me, and sources are clearly stated should one want to investigate further. I'm also delighted with the many drawings which appear throughout the book.

All in all, a very readable and thought-provoking book which has opened up numerous cul-se-sacs of exploration for me about card decks, from their Mamluk (playing card) beginnings to the Tarot, and the later 'esoteric' tarots.

Small aside: I agree with abrac and Rosanne about the Visconti-Sforza card Force. I see the alliance of two families depicting combined strength, a Force to be reckoned with.

Bee :)

Le Fanu

Greg Stanton said:
I think that "Mystical Origins of the Tarot" is one of the best books on the subject out there. Together with Robert Place's "The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination" they form a very nearly complete picture of Tarot history. I always recommend these two together when people ask for good books on Tarot.
I don't have the Place book but then I have always found that his account of tarot history in the companion books (Vampires, Saints, Alchemical etc) are so good, I wonder just what new information will be included in the History, Symbolism and Divination book. Even though I keep getting it recommended at me on amazon! And you're right about the Decker, Dummet &c. I always feel guilty when I'm reading those books. As though they're about to shout at me and give me a good dressing down for letting my mind wander to mystical thoughts, mystical symbolism when reading. Talk about axe to grind...