Religion and Tarot

Lexie

Muser257 said:
Yeah I wear a silver cross and was raised Christian. Not devout or anything, I know what Church I wasn't going to kinda thing.

I don't like the idea of organised religion. Someone once told me that God never made religion, man made religion.

That's exactly how I feel too, I couldn't agree more.. :)

Teacups

memries said:
If you see a pretty girl sitting in the sunshine enjoying the day and being cheerful it tells you a story. She is surrounded by flowers with the Sun shining upon her. It is a real life setting what card is it ?

A Tarot card is just the same thing, it is a piece of cardboard but because you look at it you see a story. We see stories all the time if we just look at people instead of cards. So to me it is the same thing.

VERY good point! It makes me think of the website Flickr, why do people like to look at the photographs taken by other people? You can look at the pictures and make certain inferences by them.

Well said!

the_surfacer

I was raised Southern Baptist, but have since left Christianity.

Nowadays I would probably describe myself as a "Deist with some pagan sensibilities".

I look at Tarot as a way of getting a different perspective -- using the cards to look at a situation in a way we hadn't before. What exactly causes a given card to come up (is it random, or is it Ordained by the Universe?) is something that I don't worry too hard about -- no matter how the Page of Wands got into the spread, she's still there with a message for me.

frelkins

philebus said:
Frelkins, I've been putting together a book of those games. Although I shall be offering it for sale at lulu as a paperback, I'll be making the download available for free for a couple of months to Aeclectic members.

That's fantastic! Actually, in these days of Skype, you should consider holding a free tarot playing "videoconference call." If everyone uses Skype it's quite cheap or even free.

In fact, let's do that! If others want to join in, they can Skype in to. Is there a tarot variation for 2 players? :)

franniee

I am a christian (eastern rite catholic to be specific) but I follow it MY way. The basics.... not all the man made lunacies... ie no contraception, no gays, no tolerance.... :D Tarot cards are not evil - people are....

:heart:

Sphinxmoth

Lexie said:
Oh, I'm so sorry Sphinxmoth, I always worry about my poor English.. It's difficult for me to express exactly what I mean .. any way nice to hear from you :)

:) :) :)

No worries, Lexie. Your English is very good, and people very often
misunderstand each other, even when speaking to one another in
languages they know very well.

Thank you for replying again. I, too, was worried about being
misunderstood

:)

apollo18

As an absolute beginner, I have been reading the Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot by Mark McElroy, and I was thinking this morning that it could be a good book for Christians as there are a lot of Christian correspondences listed for the Major Arcana. Not just the obvious ones, but many different aspects of the life of Jesus, such as "Christ's triumphal entry into Jerusalem" for The Chariot, and "The sinless Christ" for Strength.

Nevermore

franniee said:
I am a christian (eastern rite catholic to be specific) but I follow it MY way. The basics.... not all the man made lunacies... ie no contraception, no gays, no tolerance.... :D Tarot cards are not evil - people are....

:heart:

You said it best.
Tarot's like a knife. You can use it to hurt people or you can use it to chop some veggies. You know what I mean;)
Also you oughto keep in mind that the Bible was written such a long time ago and even ten years ago people were different and understood things differently than we do today. So I think that many people didn't really understand divination back then, so formed an opinion of the unknown and unfortunately that opinion is perpetuated even today. I myself used Tarot, just being interested in it and always having been fascinated with the occult. I felt nervous but my first deck was a fairly lighthearted and modern deck and after a few readings I couldn't see any evil about it. I was as evil a person as I had always been ;)
I remember her nickname right? IndigoRose has some very beautiful things to say about Christianity and Tarot. Just look up "Christianity" in the searchbar and I'm sure you'll find some discussions with her great posts.

8ofcuper

I think it's silly how most christians think that tarot is a bad thing. I was christian and I thought the same thing, but now I do it everyday. I find nothing wrong with it.

Teacups

8ofcuper said:
I think it's silly how most christians think that tarot is a bad thing. I was christian and I thought the same thing, but now I do it everyday. I find nothing wrong with it.

well, see? you may have just made the point for it being 'evil' though, when you said " I WAS christian..."

ahem. Just for the sake of arguement, I'm not personally saying anything, just pointing out what I think a very religious person would use to argue with you... (I'm being the devil's advocate here, nothing personal)