Major Arcana and the Thelemic Holy Season

Always Wondering

Mem
Path 23 joining Geburah(Severity) to Hod(Splendor
Stable Intelligence
Water
The Hanged Man

The Twenty-third Path is the Stable Intelligence, and it is so called because it has the virtue of consistency among all numerations.
This brings to mind the wisdom alphabet in general and Gemitria as a game of finding or supporting this consistency. As a more basic meaning both Regardie and Case imply “stillness”, “fixed” and “union”. Case writes that the understanding of Yoga is the nearest understanding of this path. “Being fixed in union.” He points out the Hebrew for Qayyam- existing, stable, with the value of 160. I don't get this, yet.

Mem is plural and means seas and symbolizes reflection and reproduction of Life-Power in forms of selfmanifestation. Sea water contains salt and this plus the reproduction brings to mind the Empress and Binah. The highest spiritual with the lowest material qualities. Other qualities of water are receptive, sustaining and subconscious. Crowley points out that water is the element of Illusion. He also relates the sound M to Nuit and the return to Eternal Silence, as in the word Aum.

Crowley doesn't mention Neptune in relation to ATU XII in the Book of Thoth so I left it out. He does bring in the element of “fire of the Lord of the new Aeon” in essence, slaying faith with certainty and Chasity with ecstasy. In this card we have the green of Venus, signifying Grace. The white light of Kether, the serpent operating all change, and ankh as a symbol of the Rose and Cross. Redemption seems a evil but necessary bases of this card. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Liber LXV Chapter Three.
I got a little lost in Chapter Three, I think the comments drew me in too much. I really did start to feel under water. I do note the two serpents on ATU XII in connection with the two serpents, Lilith and Nuit. I had to turn the card upside down for clarity though. :laugh: I think I will display it this way for the rest of the day.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
As a more basic meaning both Regardie and Case imply “stillness”, “fixed” and “union”. Case writes that the understanding of Yoga is the nearest understanding of this path. “Being fixed in union.” He points out the Hebrew for Qayyam- existing, stable, with the value of 160. I don't get this, yet.

Mem is plural and means seas and symbolizes reflection and reproduction of Life-Power in forms of selfmanifestation.
Does a rough and choppy sea reflect much of anything? No, not really. So if you're metaphorical "internal waters" are turbulant and disturbed, how much of the Life-Power are you capable of reflecting and manifesting in your life? Not much. :(

Through the practice of Yoga you can begin to turn your choppy sea into a still, calm lake that can reflect the light of L.V.X.
Always Wondering said:
Crowley doesn't mention Neptune in relation to ATU XII in the Book of Thoth so I left it out. He does bring in the element of “fire of the Lord of the new Aeon” in essence, slaying faith with certainty and Chasity with ecstasy.
A little earlier Crowley tells us that the Fire of the New Aeon is hostile to Water, unless the opposition is the right kind implied in marriage. The same way verses 13 and 18 in the third chapter of Liber AL are married. ;)

Case points out that the Hanged Man is the card of the Adept. He's half right. It was the card of the Adept in the Aeon of Osiris. But the present Aeon is that of the Twin Child, who is both active and passive. The passivity of the Hanged Man must be balanced by the activity of the Emperor to be a suitable symbol of Adeptship in the New Aeon of Heru-Ra-Ha.

Edit: I just remembered that Tzaddi balanced(Lamed) with Mem is the Hebrew word, TzLM - Image. 90 + 30 + 40 = 160. Now there's something to reflect on. :laugh:

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Does a rough and choppy sea reflect much of anything? No, not really. So if you're metaphorical "internal waters" are turbulant and disturbed, how much of the Life-Power are you capable of reflecting and manifesting in your life? Not much. :(

Through the practice of Yoga you can begin to turn your choppy sea into a still, calm lake that can reflect the light of L.V.X.
A little earlier Crowley tells us that the Fire of the New Aeon is hostile to Water, unless the opposition is the right kind implied in marriage. The same way verses 13 and 18 in the third chapter of Liber AL are married. ;)
I was wondering half the day why how severity could bring balance. I forgot about "Mercy let be off."

Aeon418 said:
Case points out that the Hanged Man is the card of the Adept. He's half right. It was the card of the Adept in the Aeon of Osiris. But the present Aeon is that of the Twin Child, who is both active and passive. The passivity of the Hanged Man must be balanced by the activity of the Emperor to be a suitable symbol of Adeptship in the New Aeon of Heru-Ra-Ha.

I do try to take this into account when I read Case and Regardie. But I didn't quite get the active and passive until today.

Aeon418 said:
Edit: I just remembered that Tzaddi balanced(Lamed) with Mem is the Hebrew word, TzLM - Image. 90 + 30 + 40 = 160. Now there's something to reflect on. :laugh:
I woke up this morning realizing I forgot to practice a little Gematria with Mem. But this is better.

AW

Always Wondering

Lamed
Path 22 Geburah(Severity) to Tiphareth (Beauty)
Faithful Intelligence
Ox-goad
Libra
Adjustment

The Twenty-second Path is the Faithful Intelligence, and is so called because by it spiritual virtues are increased, and all dwellers on earth are nearly under its shadow.

Here I see the ACTION or WORK, perhaps the mechanism of lifting, or up. Interesting to note that Lamed is the only Hebrew letter that extends above the line of writing. Lamed suggests everything that is extended, raised or displayed. It helps to think of “lasting” in regard to “faithful”. Also durable and constant. Certain. I guess it takes the might and strength of Geburah for lasting extension, though it does seem off balance on paper.

The-Ox goad incites the OX(Aelph- Fiery Intelligence). Crowley puts much significance on this relationship and hints to equate the designs in these two cards. I believe we did this in a thread. I will try and look it up.

Libra is the sign of balance and is ruled by Venus and Crowley says Venus, also Harlequin, the dancing and fulfilling partner of The Fool. Saturn(time) is exalted in Libra. All action and reaction take place in time.

So ATU VIII represents manifestation. Saturn, time, teacher, Ox-goad(god of Agriculture) Will; exalted in the dancing planet of Venus, Love. The Woman satisfied, the blade of the magician's sword(lifting, extended, raised) between her thighs. Working Logos.
Balance against each thought its exact opposite. For the Marriage of these is the Annihilation of Illusion.
So it seems that the key to the WORK of UP is balance. Annihilation by marriage. All dwellers on earth are nearly under its shadow.
1. Know then, that as man is born into this world amidst the Darkness of Matter, and the strife of contending forces; so must his first endeavour be to seek the Light through their reconciliation.

Liber Librae seems kind of like some mystic steps of lifting and seem related to the Hebrew letters and their paths, all if them referring to non-attachment, but an active detachment. Big DUH. :laugh: I have printed it out in hopes it will help me with the Raja Yoga book.
O. Learn first --- Oh thou who aspirest unto our ancient Order! --- that Equilibrium is the basis of the Work. If thou thyself hast not a sure foundation, whereon wilt thou stand to direct the forces of Nature?
Adjustment and The Fool again.

The Gematria of 30 doesn't make much sense to me today.
Case references NAMN (141) to Faithful Intelligence. The root of which is AMN- Amen, Amon, Amun. I don't follow the connections, but it is interesting.

AW

Always Wondering

Kaph
Path 21 Chesed to Netzach
Intelligence of Conciliation or Desire
Palm of hand, spoon
Jupiter
Fortune

The Twenty-first Path is the Intelligence of Conciliation, and is so called because it receives the divine influence which flows into it from its benediction upon all and each existence. Conciliation implies new understanding or union between higher and lower parts. Also Rewarding Intelligence. Perhaps Abrahadabra. Accommodation, adjustment, establishment of order. Desire, I guess, is the seeking of conciliation or union. Regardie says “The emotion of Netzach gazes up at the loving mercy in Chesed, and a strong undeniable desire for the divine is the result.”

Kaph means Palm of hand. Regardie mentions spoon. Crowley mentions palm of hand in relation to the tradition of palm reading or fortune telling. Grasp implies motion where spoon, I think, does not. This would tie in the seeking or desire for meaning.

Both Case and Crowley suggest a very close relation to Jupiter. GD key word Expansion which also ties in with seeking or desire. Jupiter's action is orderly and efficient, so I don't quite understand how luck is related. I have been wondering about this, for a while, in the way of The Book of the Law Chapter 1:29 For I am divided for love's sake, for the chance of union.

In his comment on ATU X Crowley mentions the Hindu philosophy of “the Guna's revolve” but states “The end and reward of the is a state of lucid quietude, which, however, tends ultimately sink to into the original inertia. This implies to me, back into the passivity of The Hanged Man. So I am dealing with inertia of the elements. It takes constant Adjustment to expand higher. But for all my Work, attainment is incalculable. This could imply uncertainty. Also, to great to be estimated. This brings to mind two seemingly opposing verses of the The Book of the Law.

1:58 I give unimaginable joys on earth: certainty, not faith, while in life, upon death; peace unutterable, rest, ecstasy; nor do I demand aught in sacrifice.
3:14 Ye shall be sad thereof.

Looks like I am not going to unravel the mysteries of the Universe today. :laugh: It is not within my Grasp.

Perhaps there is some solution, or at least comfort in Liber VII chapter 3.
17 Thou shalt have a lover among the lords of the grey land.
18 This shall he bring unto thee, without which all is in vain; a man’s life spilt for thy love upon Mine Altars.
19 Amen.

This caught my eye because the moon is in Pisces today and I have been thinking about Jupiter also because of that.
Kaph 20 + Pe' 80 = 100 Qoph, Pisces.

AW

Aeon418

Sorry to leave you hanging, AW. I'll try to catch you up now that I've got a bit more time on my hands.
Always Wondering said:
The Twenty-second Path is the Faithful Intelligence
The number of this path is equal to the number of paths on the Tree of Life - 22. The original life power of the letter Aleph flows through the Tree under the guidance and direction of the letter Lamed, in the same way that the Ox is kept faithful due to the application of the Ox-goad. When ever the Ox begins to drift, the goad prods it back on course.
Always Wondering said:
The Gematria of 30 doesn't make much sense to me today.
The 30th path is Resh, the Sun. Harmony and balance and both attributes of the Sun and Libra.
Always Wondering said:
Case references NAMN (141) to Faithful Intelligence. The root of which is AMN- Amen, Amon, Amun. I don't follow the connections, but it is interesting.
The root meaning of Amen is reliable, sturdy, or faithful. The usual translation is true or truely, and is commenly used as an affirmation of agreement. Amen to that! :D

There's a connection to Justice and Amon. His popularity was at it's greatest around the time the Theban princes finally got rid of the Hyksos kings and were able to unite upper and lower Egypt. Until then they had felt oppressed by the Hyksos, so naturally they thought their victory was evidence of justice and Amon got the praise for it.
Amon also had the unusual ability to turn himself into any of the the other gods, and yet his real identity was meant to be a secret. (Masked Harlequin?) This makes me think of the transformation of Aleph as it flows through all the 22 paths.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Also Rewarding Intelligence. Perhaps Abrahadabra. Accommodation, adjustment, establishment of order. Desire, I guess, is the seeking of conciliation or union.
Good catch. ;) In the chapter 3 study threads we have seen how the letter Kaph and Ordeal X were related.
Ordeal X - OX. Square the circle and establish order by uniting the X and O.
Always Wondering said:
Both Case and Crowley suggest a very close relation to Jupiter. GD key word Expansion which also ties in with seeking or desire. Jupiter's action is orderly and efficient, so I don't quite understand how luck is related.
What is luck? It's being in the right place at the right time. How very orderly and efficient. :D

It's odd how little things creep into everyday language. When someone "gets off" with someone we say they got lucky. The physical act is symbolic of the union of the O and X. Abrahadabra! :D
Always Wondering said:
This caught my eye because the moon is in Pisces today and I have been thinking about Jupiter also because of that.
Kaph 20 + Pe' 80 = 100 Qoph, Pisces.
There's a common theme in both Fortune and the Moon cards. Cycles, patterns, and rhythms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ComplexSinInATimeAxe.gif
Ignore the math and follow the pattern.

Richard

Aeon418 said:
Ignore the math and follow the pattern.
Math was my livelihood for forty years. Pattern is the essence of math. You are sneaky, Aeon418. :)

Aeon418

LRichard said:
Math was my livelihood for forty years. Pattern is the essence of math. You are sneaky, Aeon418. :)
Maybe. :laugh:

But a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case it's the connection between the rotation of Fortune(Jupiter) and the oscillations on the Moon card.
The Moon card is attributed to Pisces, which is ruled by Jupiter. At first sight this association appears a little incongruous. But the visual link between rotation, plotted against time, creating periodic oscillation can be a light bulb moment for some people.

Always Wondering spotted the connection between the letter Kaph and Qoph.
KPh = 100 = Qoph. Perhaps this simple visual will help her understand the connection a little better.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Sorry to leave you hanging, AW. I'll try to catch you up now that I've got a bit more time on my hands.

I know you get busy, but I also appreciate your feedback.

Aeon418 said:
The number of this path is equal to the number of paths on the Tree of Life - 22. The original life power of the letter Aleph flows through the Tree under the guidance and direction of the letter Lamed, in the same way that the Ox is kept faithful due to the application of the Ox-goad. When ever the Ox begins to drift, the goad prods it back on course.
I didn't catch that. Very cool. It really brings home the intelligent part of the paths.
Aeon418 said:
The 30th path is Resh, the Sun. Harmony and balance and both attributes of the Sun and Libra.
Okay, I see that in Godwin's now. I don't think I would have made the connection though. Thanks.

Aeon418 said:
The root meaning of Amen is reliable, sturdy, or faithful. The usual translation is true or truely, and is commenly used as an affirmation of agreement. Amen to that! :D

There's a connection to Justice and Amon. His popularity was at it's greatest around the time the Theban princes finally got rid of the Hyksos kings and were able to unite upper and lower Egypt. Until then they had felt oppressed by the Hyksos, so naturally they thought their victory was evidence of justice and Amon got the praise for it.
Amon also had the unusual ability to turn himself into any of the the other gods, and yet his real identity was meant to be a secret. (Masked Harlequin?) This makes me think of the transformation of Aleph as it flows through all the 22 paths.
I don't know why but I always thought Amen meant "the end". :laugh: I guess because it came at the end of everything in church. I guess Case and Crowley mention these connections to mythology for a good reason. I will have to follow that through more.

AW