The Golden Tarot of Visconti Sforza ???

gregory

Who is Mary Packard ? Is she someone who knows her tarot stuff - she seems to write mostly children's stories ?
amazon said:
For her, writing is a fun way to explore new subjects, such as the mystical world of tarot. After becoming enthralled by the exquisite artwork of the Visconti-Sforza tarot deck, a triumph of refinement and joyful sensibility in the dreary days known as the Dark Ages, Packard became fascinated by the stories behind the cards and how, over time, they transformed from regular playing cards into tools for divining the future and gaining insight into one's life.

(Serious question, as this is a set with the cards included, and at that price, it may be "just another LWB". Or it may not - and so I want to KNOW.)

Lee

The Amazon listing says, "For her, writing is a fun way to explore new subjects, such as the mystical world of tarot." So it would seem she is not an experienced tarot author. :)

rachelcat

And do you think the cards are photo repros with gilding only on the borders? Or a redrawing?

Oh, heck. I'll probably get it anyway. And then I can answer the questions!

gregory

Looks suspiciously like photo repros of the LoS deck....

And yes Lee - that was exactly what gave me pause for thought !

Lee

Oops sorry, Gregory, my eyes passed right over what you quoted!

gregory

Oops sorry, Gregory, my eyes passed right over what you quoted!

:p I thought you were quoting FROM my quote ! No apology needed ;)

greatdane

Would get for the deck...book not so much

I have a book for the Visconti Sforza and not really interested in hers, although it could be great, but if this is something she just thought would be fun to research a little and write about, probably not so much. The deck I want to see, so that's going on my wishlist. Looks like it is the set only, but it's pretty inexpensive on preorder at Amazon.

kwaw

After becoming enthralled by the exquisite artwork of the Visconti-Sforza tarot deck, a triumph of refinement and joyful sensibility in the dreary days known as the Dark Ages,

15th century Northern Italy was the 'dreary days known as the Dark Ages' ?

mmm...

Lee

Hopefully the book will contain something other than canned RWS meanings for the pip cards.