Flip or Turn the cards?

New2Tarot

Today I did another spread. Actually two. I did the first with my Thoth deck. I shuffle it in such a way that there are no reversals, because traditionally there aren't reversals with the Thoth deck ... I need a book specifically for this deck because the only way I understand it is with the keywords and my books. But I don't know how to deal with ill-dignified cards ... anyway, I'm basically just using it once in a while until I learn how to actually use it. Whenever I use this deck, I turn the cards so that the spread is upright. Otherwise, all the cards would be reversed.

But anyway, I did a spread. Then I did another one underneath the first using my Waite deck.. with which I use reversals.. then I noticed that some of the cards were more in sync with the Thoth spread when they were in their upright positions, even though in my spread they were reversed. I thought maybe it has to do with how I flip the cards.

I flip my waite cards vertically.. I've always done it that way and like it that way, but because the two spreads didn't seem to be in sync, I thought maybe this could be why?

Anyway, who here flips and who turns the cards?? Why? Would it make a difference? Should the two spreads have been in sync?

This is way too confusing. I need a personal teacher LOL.

Later,
New2Tarot

New2Tarot

BTW ... when I say "flip" I mean to flip the cards vertically.
When I say "turn" I mean turn like the pages of a book horizontally.

Later,
New2Tarot

EveAnna

Hi New2Tarot,

But if you flip your Rider Waite don't you reverse the cards? I never flip my cards because I think that once they've been layed out thats how they should be read. I like to turn them, I do this with all my decks - sometime I turn the deck as i shuffle if I want to read the reversals sometimes i don't but i always turn the cards not flip them. Hope this helps :)

New2Tarot

Ok, I worded my question/explanation wrong.. ;) Ooops..

Okay, here goes. I have 2 decks. RW and Thoth. Because the Thoth doesn't traditionally use reversals, I shuffle my deck in such a way that reversals don't happen.

With my RWT, I use reversals. So I just shuffle it any old way so that reversals will occur.

Now, my question refers to when you actually lay the cards for a spread..

When I cut the deck into say three piles for a 3 card P/P/F spread for example using my RWT, I flip the top card from each stack over. I flip the card vertically. It could be argued that I reverse reversed cards.

When I cut my Crowley Thoth deck into three piles for a 3 card P/P/F spread, I turn the top card from each stack over. I turn the card horizontally like the pages of a book, so that the cards remain upright. Because every card in every stack of my Thoth deck is upright because I intentionally shuffle it that way. If I were to flip these cards vertically, they would all show up reversed.

So, today I wanted to do a 7 card spread. So I did. For some reason I felt I wanted to do it with my Thoth deck. I am trying to use it once in a while just because, even though I don't really understand it. So I spread the 7 cards (turning them like the pages of a book). I made an interpretation with the aid of my books.

Then, to kind of help me understand the spread, I did the same 7 card spread using my RWT. I thought basically the same results would come and I could help relate RWT interpretation to the Thoth.

On my table I had this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 --- THOTH ALL UPRIGHT
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 --- RIDER WAITE, SOME REVERSED

When I referred to my books to help me interpret the RW spread, I noticed some of the cards that were reversed ... they applied more to the Thoth spread under their UPRIGHT meanings, even though in my spread they were reversed. Like, I'd read the reversed meaning.. think, read the upright meaning and notice that the upright meaning sometimes made more sense.

So then I got to thinking that maybe the way I flip the cards made the reversed cards in my spread appear upright, and vice versa... so I was actually interpreting cards in the RW spread under the wrong context.. some upright cards should have been reversed, but because I flipped it...

That's what I thought.. but maybe how I flip or turn cards doesn't matter and cards show up the way they are meant to regardless.. and so I turn to all of you for opinions.

What do you think? Does it matter? Do you flip or turn?

I've flipped from the start, and have been quite happy doing so, some of my books describe the recommended method as flipping, others turning.

What do you think??

Later,
New2Tarot

New2Tarot

EveAnna (19 Sep, 2001 11:36):
I never flip my cards because I think that once they've been layed out thats how they should be read

I do too, but when they're still in the deck they haven't been layed out. So, should it matter if you flip or turn as you deal or lay a spread??

Later,
New2Tarot

EveAnna

I think that once that last shuffle has been done, the cards are ready. So if you lay them out then flip them your reversing the meanings - if this method works for you and it feels right then keep doing it but I wouldn't feel right flipping my cards before I read them - I've always turned my cards whether I'm doing a tarot or a playing card reading, it'd feel wrong doing it any other way for me. :)

jade

i think that consistency is all that matters. each deck can be different as long as you are always consistent with that deck.

love and light,
jade

Talisman

'Lo all,

I agree with Jade about consistency, and think it is important.

With my first deck, acquired back in the days when there were not many decks to choose from, the Aquarian deck, the book I had recommended using reversed cards. So I always did.

Then I was given the Robin Wood deck, and she doesn't use reversed cards, saying in her book, "I think there are enough cards in the deck to describe anything; and reversed cards are simply unnecessarily confusing." So, with her deck, I don't use them.

Now, I have a third deck, the World Spirit, and in the book it says, "We have chosen not to include reversed. Instead, we present a continuum, including the gifts and the lessons as well as the challenges and shadows of each card." Okay.

Actually have a fourth deck, my "collector's deck, that I can't read with. It is the Wheel of Change deck, and if I did read with it, Alexandra Genetti doesn't use reversed cards either.

So, I am always consistent, according to the deck I use. Thus, I turn the cards, like the pages of a book to read the story.

Talisman

purplelady

I have always "turned" my cards , like the pages of a book. I feel that way I am laying them down the same way they came up in deck. I used to use reversals, years ago. Perhaps I've gotten lazy, but it's just easier now to keep all cards in deck upright!New2-IMHO you are complicating things unnecessarily! By comparing decks and readings and laying out Both decks for a reading. Why not just choose One deck , lay out the reading and read it. Don't worry what Thoth would say when rider-waite is speaking and vica versa! Lay out your reading, intuit and read book etc. Meditate on it , do whatever you want. It seems to me that by using both decks at once you are trying to InTellectualize the whole thing all at once , or understand every aspect of it at once. Perhaps that is not conductive to intuitive reading?

purplelady

New2, I take it you have a beginners book of some sort to learn the basic card meanings and basic suit and number meanings? After that , I would let each deck stand on it's own , pretty much. If I had to worry whether the 5 of cups in thoth was more like the 5 of cups Reversed in rider-waite ,Or if the 7 swords in rider-waite reversed was more like the upright card in thoth , I think I'd feel way too confuddled to even attempt a reading and Then if I purchased another deck , oh my!!! :-D ! Sorry , no offense intended , but if you can hold all that in your mind, you've got one up on me! Good luck and happy readings! :) ;) .