Strength - 8

spinningspider

Strength is a card that was artistically drawn not unlike other decks, as Robin pointed out in her book. She felt that the image of a woman at ease (and very much in control) with a lion was powerful, not to mention poignant, in meaning, and indeed, I'd have to agree. Both the woman and the lion are bold, brave and courageous: The woman is strong for even getting near to a lion, let alone caressing it and laying her hand under his chin. The lion is strong because he'd have to control his basic urges of dominance, aggressiveness and forceful nature to even allow such a union between he and the woman to take place. They both win in this relationship!

Robin set the Strength card at 8, rather than 11 as in some other decks. I particularly appreciated her explanation of this, equating the 8 with the infinity symbol...strength that IS infinite in scope. Since reading this, it's not failed to come to my attention in a reading.

Trust is a word that rings out when I see this card in a reading. Or lack thereof, depending on where the card turns up in the spread or if it's reversed. A lion and a woman would have to each have the utmost of trust in each other for the scene in the card to occur.

The lion is not depicted as weak or mealy-mouthed, however. Nor has the woman taken over as the powerful dominator. Each can keep their unique, personal qualities intact...there is no need for sacrificing them. Instead, a RESPECT has formed between them for each other. They appreciate and applaud each other's personalities but know that if unchecked aggressiveness from either gets unleashed, the relationship will be irretrievably damaged (let alone the horrible injury to life and limb!)

annik

The woman seems to have some tenderness toward the lion. She seems to care for him.

The lion is not aggressive-looking. He look vigourous but not a bad one (not a villain).

tarot4fun

Thank you for your insight.

Moonson

spinningspider, has said it all.
And i also agree with annik.

Thank you for sharing!

Moonson

Has spinningspider said: trust, bravery, courage, respect and the control of emotions.

The courage part is very obvious, for me! I wouldn't caress a lion like that! :)
And for me, the control of emotions that both lady and the lion show is very important. I guess this is the strong meaning of the card along with trust.

In the deck's LWB it says: "the gift to soothe other's grief...". I agree, because the lady seems to be "healing" the lion with her words and the hand gently under his chin, shows that nursing kindness. There's the sense of dedication to others, without asking nothing in return.

Ps.: "nursing kindness" - i heard this expression somewhere... i guess it's right, if it's not, I mean: the kindness that a nurse (ussually!!) shows when treating a patient that is sick.

shiresun

"Love, emotion
Feelings, emotion.
Don't be afraid to be weak,
Don't be too proud to be strong
Just look into your heart, my friend,
That will be the return to yourself,
The Return to Innocence."*​

~ ~ ~​

Amid Mountain peaks, capped with a beautiful blanket of snow, I notice a young woman sitting on the grass and see a magnificent lion prowling toward her. I feel what I am witnessing can not end well for this maiden. She is a lovely young woman, wearing a flowing white gown with a breast plate of armor, made of silver and trimmed with gold. I notice a resplendent bouquet of flowers in her lap. Upon her head she wears a wreath of beautiful wild flowers as well; white, and purple, and small sprays of wispy white delicate buds. The lion walks toward her; an imposing beast, full of power. Surprisingly, the maid beckons for the lion to come to her, and I can see his mighty jaws are parted, and can almost hear a guttural growl. When he is standing before her, she holds her hand out to him, letting him learn her scent, and then she reaches up with her other hand, her fingers dancing lightly on his silky mane. Ever so slowly her hand comes to rest upon his head.

There was a palpable exchange of power. Her love for this lion reaches inside of him, visibly calming him, so she is able to slide her other hand beneath his chin and with a tender touch, closes his jaws. I am stunned, seeing them like this, his bulk resting nearly upon her, as if he is at an oasis in the desert, drinking up the sweet energy which radiates from her.

Her fearlessness and purity of heart brought a gentleness to this great predator; allowing it to, perhaps, return to the innocence of the cub from which he grew. I hear a distinct purring. Here is a statement of how love, tempered with courage, understanding and confidence is a catalyst which manifests kinship between opposing forces where gentle strength of spirit transforms innate brutishness into acquiescence.

Keywords

opposing forces and peaceful resolutions
purity of heart,
transformation,
power exchange,
return to innocence,
energy,
strength of spirit,
courage,
conviction,
healing,
calming,