View Single Post
Citizen

Alobar 

learning the reason the cards represent what they do.
learning why the particular symbols occur where they do.
learning the related systems that have made the GOOD decks as important as they are.

the creators of these decks put alot of study into these symbols, and i think the least we can do is understand their motivation. otherwise the best we can hope for is a superficial understanding of the cards they created.

reading is NOT the be all and end all of tarot. if i may quote Paul Foster Case on the subject...
Quote:
"The Tarot is not a plaything, nor is it only a pack of cards designed for the purpose of fortune-telling, although this use of it has preserved it for serious students through the vissisitudes of time and change."
and also...
Quote:
"The Tarot is a textbook of occult teachings. It is intended for the use of serious students who are in search of spiritual enlightenment, and who are willing to devote a reasonable amount of time and thought to the discovery of the deeper meaning of life."
and then there is Robert Wang, the eminent tarot Qabalist...
Quote:
"The Tarot is a system of enlightenment, a system whose ultimate aim is assisting the individual in understanding his relationship to the Cosmos."
now both of these men are among the most respected authors on tarot, and they can certainly explain what i'm trying to say better than i.
but if you buy into the quotes above (and i find it hard not to), then you'll see what i mean when i say that study is vital with any tarot deck, and this one in particular.

purely intuitive reading is highly subjective, and therefore it is highly debateable. so what is the serious student supposed to take from all this ambiguity?

(edited for some really atrocious spelling errors)
Top   #14