Did Frida Kahlo paint the Thoth deck?!?

mercury8

Ever since I purchased the Thoth Deck I have wondered about its true authorship. I speculate that it was in fact painted by Frida Kahlo, who for reasons unknown chose to remain anonymous. The dates seem to fit. She lived around the same time the deck was painted, and her dates also correspond to that of Frieda Harris'. Even looking at some of the cards I can't help but wonder if Frida (Kahlo) painted them. Several cards (the Prince of Disks & The Lovers) clearly (to me) exhibit a mesoamerican influence. The fool looks almost like the man sitting in a train on one of Kahlo's paintings. And then there's that cross on the back, which besides being stylistically Mexican, also is apparently a Catholic symbol. The England in which Frieda Harris lived would have been episcopalian, and I do not believe they use the cross the same way that Catholics do. Then the reasons arise why would Frida have painted the deck anonymously. One big reason is perhaps the stigma that would have been associated with her designing an 'occult' tarot deck in a predominantly Catholic country like Mexico (where books were burned for sex ed classes in the 60's). Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this before?

Master_Margarita

I do not think the color choices match Kahlo's work, nor does the style.

M_M~

6 Haunted Days

Have you given thought to what Kahlo's motivation to keep it hush-hush were? Or why Lady Harris agreed to put on a huge many year fake show (letters and everything else) in exchange for?

Papageno

the collaboration between Harris and Crowley is authoritatively documented, as is the life of Frida Kahlo, I don't see how one could dispute the evidence.

there was also a considerable difference in their (Harris and Kahlo) age as well as their distinctly dissimilar style of painting.

Rosanne

Hi Mercury8.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo
There is a date that Frida Kahlo went to France 1939?- she spent her life mostly in Mexico and was bedridden for a great part of it. I personally love her art, and can see what you mean about some similarities. The Art Deco style was worldwide at this time. There is too much correspondence written between Crowley and Lady Freida Harris for the two women to be mistaken.
Here is some info for you about Lady Freida Harris (nee Bloxam)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Frieda_Harris.
As to the Catholic influence- not too much was apparent in Kahlo's work, although it is Mexican in influence (which is Catholic)
The Symbolic content of the Thoth cards is because of the Crowley's imput of his beliefs and her because she belonged to the Theosophical Society. She also took lessons in Sacred Geometry.
The two women are well documented and lived in different parts of the world. I have never read that they even met.
You can read about Art Deco style here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Deco
and you will see that Frida Kahlo's husband was known for his Art Deco style.
Welcome to the the Forum- I am sure you will enjoy it. ~Rosanne

Lleminawc

mercury8 said:
And then there's that cross on the back, which besides being stylistically Mexican, also is apparently a Catholic symbol. The England in which Frieda Harris lived would have been episcopalian, and I do not believe they use the cross the same way that Catholics do.
The cross itself is a very common symbol in English churches of all denominations. The particular cross on the back of the Thoth cards is usually said to be a Rosicrucian cross or Rosy Cross and so is definitely rooted in European traditions.