Druidcraft study group: Queen of Swords

TygrEyes

Miss Independent! The Queen of Swords is seen in a barren landscape save for the tree on the precipice in the distance. She is dressed in cool blues and purple. Cool, calm & collected, she’s VERY confident in her abilities. She’s witty, analytical & a challenging adversary. If you were to go toe to toe with her intellectually you had better make sure you’re well prepared - she certainly will be.
The front of her hair is in two plaits while the rest is free & blowing in the wind. To me this symbolizes a very controlled nature on one hand, while on the other hand she can be breezy and free spirited. On a bad day, she could be erratic & irrational when in an out of control state. She could lose control from analyzing too much, driving herself mad, or from her ego being hit hard.
It all depends on which way the wind is blowing! :eek:)

Attachments

• DCSGQS.jpg
    DCSGQS.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 567

irisa

The thing that stands out for me about this Queen is her age she is significantly older than the other Queens in this deck. When I think about it I think she's the oldest QoS I've seen.

A reflection of her life experiences? Been there... seen it... done it...

I think she knows how human nature works and tells it like it is.... for me she's a Mrs No Nonsense :)

irisa

Shade

A question Irisa, since I haven't gotten to physicaly se the cards, is she really older than the other queens? That was my initial assumption when I saw the cards but then I thought more about the meaning of the and it seems possible that the QoS's experiences have taken a greater physical toll on her than the others. Gray hair attributed to stress rather than time perhaps. I know there are a few decks in which the QoS is an older woman (the World Spirit fro example) but just from the scan it looks to me as thoush she is the same age as the others.

irisa

Hi Shade

I understand what you're saying I looked long and hard at her for this very reason... She certainly stands out from the other Queens in this deck.

The initial impression is she is much older but is that just the grey hair? It could be but... It's possible to be older in many different ways beyond simply age... and to me she is.

Perhaps I should have said she gives the impression of being more experienced than the other Queens... :)

irisa

WolfSpirit

Yes I also noticed her gray hair but her face looks unwrinkled and strong. If she suffered from sorrow it no longer shows, apart from the grey hair.

The expression on her face reminds of that in the prince of swords, the same determination and strong chin. Except, the queen does not go barging in; experience has taught her that is no good tactics. But she is alert, pondering her sword, she will not tolerate any messing about.
Compared to the others of the sword family - they all wear shades of blue and purple, the queen has predominantly purple, which is a warmer colour than blue. She has an analytical thinking mind but is not without warmth.
I think she also still shows the delicacy we saw in the princess of swords.

Compared to the other queens, she sits in the most barren circumstances - just bare rock, no pleasant lake or grass or other plants, apart from a tree in the distance. She is willing to sacrifice these pleasantries in exchange for a lofty place to sit, that enables her to overview all and make logical conclusions.

Sulis

She looks regal in all that purple, despite the fact that her cloak seems a little ragged.

I think she looks as if she's examining that sword, running her finger along the blade to see how sharp it is: Not a lady to mess with, a little intimidating even. She looks as if she'd win an argument easily.

The hilt of her sword has a small face on it - could this be a reference to decks such as Thoth where the Queen of Swords holds a mask? Signifying that she'll see through any masks or nonsense and get straight to what matters.

The tree in the background almost looks like a bonsai tree. I think this is to remind us that the direction of the Air element is East.

Her bare feet make me think that she's well grounded.

Love

Sulis xx

WalesWoman

I noticed that tattered look to her cloak as well, "feeling bit ragged" LOL
But what I like about her is that she is older and wiser, but still has a calm and collected air about her (pardon the pun). I like what the book had to say, that her wisdom comes from experiencing the joys and sorrows of life. So I think that is why her cloak is tattered, it's well worn and been through a lot, but still serves it's purpose to protect her from the elements.

She holds a double edged sword, can see both sides of any situation or arguement and would see and act fairly. She deals in hard facts or that is her base

I like her throne, the craftsmanship is superb, yet the design is simple and functional, using natural pieces of wood without ornamentation. She is not one for artifice.
I like that about her as well, she has strength and pride in who she is and what she believes in, but isn't afraid to show her age. She's not one to hide it or disguise it and would probably tell me it's a complete waste of time and not to be a slave to vanity.

I also like that knarly twisted tree growing in the background, surviving under stressful, harsh conditions. It's one thing I started noticing, that the trees grow in the direction of the prevailing winds and keep trying to grow up, but are constantly bent by the wind. So I guess it could represent not giving up, but to survive you've got to bend a bit and make those sorts of adjustments. It could also show how forces from outside your control can shape you and distort you from your ideal self, but still leave a thing of beauty and uniqueness.

I like her feet as well, the left foot arching, as if she is drumming the ground with the heel of her foot, listening in ecstasy to the song carried on the wind. Well, maybe not ecstacy, but really listening to it. She looks like she could leap from the throne and start dancing or go into full battle mode... whatever, she's definately thinking about doing something. I have a feeling she can't sit in that chair for long, she's a woman of action...after careful consideration.

wellspring

Another thing I like about this card is that the breeze is blowing her cloak and hair ...... to me it conveys how refreshing it is to be mentally lucid, objective, confident in your mental abilities, and the freedom of being able to trust your perceptions and ability to use them.

On another level, as soon as drew this card as daily card, had some really big insights, moreso than with other cards have taken so far - insights that can really shift long-standing/deeper things. A powerful card!

One of the insights was about mind and heart being aligned ..... heart can work/heal more slowly than mind, so sometimes means can't make sense of things mentally for a while, until things have filtered through in their natural way. When steady up and go at heart's pace, and mind has 'caught up', can have so much more clarity mentally and in your actions. Rather than being mentally 'foggy', out of touch with heart, and 'living on wits', can have more security, as foundation is on heart-level.

To me this is definitely a card of 'no pretence', about accessing heart-awareness so don't put a front on and feel drained because of this. The breeze that's blowing her hair and cloak, I see as the real refreshment and liberation of being congruent in heart and mind, letting the heart's perception flow, rather than living in just the mind's realm. Feel that by being properly in touch wtih both levels, both levels are really empowered and refreshed.

Cat x

WalesWoman

wellspring, cat... you put this so wonderfully...
One of the insights was about mind and heart being aligned ..... heart can work/heal more slowly than mind, so sometimes means can't make sense of things mentally for a while, until things have filtered through in their natural way. When steady up and go at heart's pace, and mind has 'caught up', can have so much more clarity mentally and in your actions. Rather than being mentally 'foggy', out of touch with heart, and 'living on wits', can have more security, as foundation is on heart-level.

To me this is definitely a card of 'no pretence', about accessing heart-awareness so don't put a front on and feel drained because of this. The breeze that's blowing her hair and cloak, I see as the real refreshment and liberation of being congruent in heart and mind, letting the heart's perception flow, rather than living in just the mind's realm. Feel that by being properly in touch wtih both levels, both levels are really empowered and refreshed.

No wonder this card has been showing up for me a lot... it's exactly what I've been going through. That whole feeling/mental connection or getting it back into synch. I have't been able to make sense of the cards for a while and realized it was because I as at emotional loose ends and it was messing with my whole mentation ability. I haven't been bored I've been depressed and that whole confused mess working like a fog... but with the breeze blowing all that dust and fog and stuff away... it becomes a whole lot clearer and easier to cut through the crap to what is real.

Great insight! Your words just made everything fall into place.

wellspring

Hi Waleswoman

Thanks for your kind message. Really glad posting helped. Been going through same as you describe too. It's a relief to be back with the Tarot again isn't it ... to find that CAN connect with and gently transform those parts of heart that have been wanting to come out into the sunlight for ages!

Queen of Swords also makes me think of those wonderful conservation programs, when eg cubs mature and are released back into their natural habitat, but with the strength and awareness and enhanced abilities they need, at the right time, and with confidence and a real sense of freedom and adventure. (And the conservation centre's 'there' in the background, as and when needed.) I see the Queen of Swords as very enabling, a 'brain detox' so all that dust and stuff's out of the way, and are free to be instinctual intuitive self, tougher, and more fresh and real in the moment, without past dragging or future pulling! Really glad for you. Enjoy the breeze!

Love, Cat x