Devil in Celtic Cross

Bonnie37

I did the Celtic Cross the other day, but I got the Devil in the position What crowns you! I cannot figure out what that would mean. Thank you for any insight on this!

rwcarter

No single card from a reading can truly be taken out of context and interpreted. Here in Using Tarot Cards, we can discuss the many or general meanings of a card, but it would be better for you to post the entire reading to Your Readings so that the card could be discussed in context of the question asked and the other cards in the spread.

Barring that, the Devil as what crowns one could mean many things. One interpretation of the Crowning Card is that which hangs over the subject of the reading/the atmosphere and situation which hang over the Querent in the present and/or what is out on the surface and immediately apparent in the Querent's life. Hopefully the interpretation you're using is close to that one.

One could have an addictive personality, with the addiction not necessarily being drugs. It could be an addiction to bad relationships, mocha almond fudge ice cream, Facebook, etc.

It could indicate the need to control others (in the specific situation of the reading) or to be in control, the one holding the strings.

It could indicate an inability to see where one has allowed others to control one or where one has controlled others.

It could represent the need to confront one's baser instincts or the need to reign in one's baser instincts.

Hopefully something above is of help to you.

Rodney

Nytebugg

for myself, personally in my own readings, the devil is my tendency to work myself up into a bundle of nerves or to over think on things too much. my obsessive thinking patterns
although I once had it mean I would overeat at the Olive Garden with their never ending pasta bowls.

starrystarrynight

It depends upon how you "define" the crown position in your CC. Some people (me included :)) look at that spot as a goal-oriented energy or a best-that-can-happen-in-the-situation position. If that is how you look at it, the Devil could suggest that the best thing that will come out of the situation is that you will become obsessed with it or addicted to it...or maybe that it will lead to hot, possessive sex })...or lead you into temptation--none of which may be as positive an possibility as you might desire.

Others define the crown position differently, so the Devil may mean something different to them in that spot.

Nytebugg

I've been lead astray before by a handsome devil. })
I'd do it again too. :D

starrystarrynight

Ooh la la, Nytebugg...me, too, actually, now that you mention it :) }) !

nisaba

Bonnie37 said:
I did the Celtic Cross the other day, but I got the Devil in the position What crowns you! I cannot figure out what that would mean. Thank you for any insight on this!
Depends what you understand the phrase "what crowns you" to mean, what the circumstances are that the reading is addressing, and ev en what the Devil card in your deck looks like: for example, some time ago I did a reading for a bloke where the Devil came up as one of the cards in his "home and family" column, which otherwise looked quite sunny. That particular deck has a large spider on the Devil-card. We discussed the card extensively - I simply couldn't get ti to "fit" the rest of the reading. He then went home, still puzzled, went down in to his basement - and found it crawling with spiders! The card was giving him a very direct warning. Which doesn't help with being crowned by it, but certainly illustrates how Devils in different decks might be trying to get different messages across.

As to "being crowned by" the Devil, let's assume that the Devil is here referring to a risk through temptation of some kind. Let's also assume that "being crowned by" is once again being dreadfully literal (it happens quite frequently, I find). I'd discuss it esoterically in a number of ways depending on the client, but I'd also say something like: "Also, safeguard against being tempted to do something silly like speeding or driving against traffic lights or taking a short-cut by walking through a building site - who knows, there could be a real risk of head injuries if you give in to that temptation."

willowfox

Bonnie37 said:

No question or context makes it difficult to give a sensible answer.