View Single Post
Citizen

Alan Ross 

This is still another card in this deck that has me thinking, "Yep. I need to work on this." I admit I'm occasionally guilty of nodding my head and making appropriate noises during a conversation while thinking of what I'm going to say next. Maybe I would be a better listener If I had a beautiful receptive lotus blossom instead of a head.

I'm reminded of the classic zen story about the university professor who has been invited to have tea with a Zen master. While the Master is serving the tea, the professor goes on and on about his own views of Zen. The Master listens politely while filling the professor's cup with tea. The master keeps pouring until the cup overflows. As tea goes everywhere, the professor cries out "enough! the cup is already full. The tea is overflowing." "Like this cup," the Master calmly responds, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

"We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak." Epictetus
Top   #4