Shuffling

biddy9

You know, sometimes I prefer to shuffle the cards for my client, even if it's face-to-face. I guess I just don't really trust them to program the cards right! Does anyone else ever just take the cards and shuffle them for their client, even if they're sitting right opposite?

Biddy Tarot

Kiama

Often I do, usually because I'm so focussed on the question we're asking the cards that I'm not thinking about the querent at all! I don't hold with the 'you must let the querent touch the cards so their energy can be put into them also' theory. The only reason I usually let the querent cut the deck is because I like them to actually take an active role in the reading, not just sit back and let me do all the work! It's their life they're asking about, so they might aswell take an active role in finding out about it... I they cut the cards, they immediately feel more involved, so they are more inclined to talk about the reading and give feedback throughout it.

So yes, sometimes I just forget!

Kiama

divinerguy

I ask the querent to select all of the cards for the reading. It makes them part of the reading, it transfers energy to the cards more efficiently and it adds a bit of drama. Their reading really is in their hands.

Diana

I would never even think of not letting someone shuffle and then choose their own cards (I fan my cards so each card can be chosen with care). It's not my reading and they are responsible for their own lives. If for instance, someone came to me who had no arms or hands, I would at least let them choose the cards once I had shuffled them.

Of course, if I'm doing a long-distance reading, then that's not possible and then I do it for them.

DarkElectric

I use some reversals, but I get choose these at random, and I never have more than 5 reversed cards in the deck. Sometimes, when a client shuffles the cards, they end up modfying this. So, what I do, is shuffle the cards a little, then give them to my client. I ask them to blend their energy with the energy of the deck, and when they feel ready, give it back. Then I shuffle it a little more and hand it back to them. I proceed to request that they cut the deck into 3 piles, and rub hands together until they're warm. Then, I ask them to slowly pass their left hand, (the receptive hand, usually, based on which hand they write with) until they feel one of the piles is the right one for them. They choose one, and I lay the cards out from there. This gets them involved, both energetically and physically, and my system doesn't get shot to hell.

I used to let clients shuffle their own, but I would have to instruct them as to keeping the cards all going in the same direction. This stressed some of them out, and disrupted the flow of the reading, sometimes,because they were more concerned with keeping all the cards facing the same way then they were on their question.

I know, maybe it's whacked. But I believe reversals can expand on a reading, but not if there are too many of them. Everyone has their own opinion about reversed cards, too. It's a hot topic around here!

biddy9

Yes, I find that my clients will spend most of their energy on getting used to shuffling the cards! I guess Tarot cards are a bit bigger than normal cards and it can be a bit tricky learning how to shuffle them properly. But I like your ideas on other ways of getting them involved. Thanks!

Brigit

DesertHowler

biddy9 said:
You know, sometimes I prefer to shuffle the cards for my client, even if it's face-to-face. I guess I just don't really trust them to program the cards right! Does anyone else ever just take the cards and shuffle them for their client, even if they're sitting right opposite?
http://www.biddytarot.com

When I got my Osho Zen deck I showed it to my good friend and part-time Tarot mentor. I'd done a few readings with it. She didn't even touch it. She said, "This deck doesn't want to be touched by any one other than you. DON'T let anyone touch it!!" I haven't and it seems to work OK that way.

DH

Black dragon

generally shuffling depends on what i feel at the time, if i feel i should let the person shuffle then i do if i just want them to cut then thats what i do, or if i don't want them toucing the deck, then well you get the idea.

Generally i'd say just trust your own instinct.

pentunen

I always shuffle for the people I'm giving readings to, largely because I don't trust them to 'treat my cards right' :)
I allow them to cut the deck, though, so they do have a say in which cards get picked.

- pentu

krysia322

Re: Re: Shuffling

DesertHowler said:
When I got my Osho Zen deck I showed it to my good friend and part-time Tarot mentor. I'd done a few readings with it. She didn't even touch it. She said, "This deck doesn't want to be touched by any one other than you. DON'T let anyone touch it!!" I haven't and it seems to work OK that way.

DH
I've got to go along with DH on this one. I've had experiences when the deck simply refused to have anything to do with the question-asker. Most of my decks are cooperative and don't mind it, but I do have a couple of decks that prefer not to be touched by anyone other than myself, or by anyone outside the immediate family.
*shrug*

Whatever works. LOL