Magic Realist Press - Fairytale Tarot - The Death

moderndayruth

First thing that grabbed my attention were the candles, they are lightening up the whole picture as if promising the “dissolution” of the darkness, though the accompanying story, the Godfather Death itself is quite “dark”.
An old man was looking for the Godfather for his thirteenth born child. He encounters Death and after paying respect to her for treating the poor and reach equally, he accepts Death to be the Godfather; in return, Death promises to make the child a famous physician.
Later on Death instructs the child –young man by now- how to treat the patients for whom there is cure and tells him to let go the patients who have to pass away.
Everything goes well until the young man tricks Death to save the kings life; Death forgives him, but he does it again in order to save the life of the princess – this time Death tricks him in return and ends his life.
Very complex story, as well as the picture itself, it’s rather difficult for me to connect the two.

Queen of Disks

This is a very cool Death card. It drives home the point of the Death card which is The End (of something) and the inevitability of The End, no matter what you do. You can't cheat Death, as the young man finds out the hard way.

I got this card for my daily draws only a few times, and they had to do with things like a perscription running out and my nearly getting hit by a car. :bugeyed:

6 Haunted Days

I, to love this card. One of my favourites in the deck! It's quite striking and I react to it on a very personal level. I see it as showing that fear of change and letting go. Grasping even though you know it's futile.

Sar

I see the lights in the image as a road to the other side..

Master_Margarita

I had never heard of this fairytale before I started studying this deck. I suspect the books of fairytales I read as a child had been bowdlerized.

I love the moment in the story where the old man says that he likes Death because he is so democratic, treating the rich and the poor alike--after rejecting G-d Himself as a godfather on grounds that he gives to the rich and takes away from the poor! And after rejecting the Devil himself as well. Cheeky old man!

The full version of the story has a lot more details about the candles--it's on the Internet here. A nice touch about the image on the card is that the physician's candle, which is on its last legs as we know, is shown directly in front of him.

:heart: M_M~