Discussion Group - Cups Overview

Poledra

In the RWS deck, cups are associated with water and therefore emotions. Cups are vessels that contain liquid, that people drink from, sample from, taste. Water flows and pools, but can also run in raging torrents and carve deep canyons. It can be still and deep or shallow and crystal clear. Water therefore seems a perfect metaphor for emotions.

Placing the water in cups contains those emotions, keeping them in and holding the torrent of water back until it overflows and lets the excess out.

How do you see the cups?

Poledra

ana luisa

You covered most of the "emotions" part.:) I also see cups as referring to liquids. It may mean water (baptism water, dehydration, etc0; it may mean alcohol or drinks, it may mean tears, it may even mean bodily fluids. Once, I read a miscarriage on an Ace of cups reversed... The idea of the cup holding the emotions is great especially for some of the cards where the cups are overturned.

Starling

What I find interesting about the King of Cups is that he is riding ON TOP of the waters. He has so much mastery of the waters, and of emotions, that he can literally float a heavy throne on top of them and calmly sit on it.

The Queen is on the edge of the water, still on the rocky beach, but is also, not unaffected and not in control, but able to use the waters and the emotions they represent, to nurture her world.

WalesWoman

Cups are much more than emotions or water.... they are the creative muse, the love of beautiful things & culture... art, music, those things that enrich our lives.

So I guess for culture... you could always look at Cups as the matrix for growing things... like molds, bacteria and test tube babies.

The water of cups is associated with the seasoup of life, the vessel that contains, protects and sustains new life... which is why the ocean is so prominent in the King and Queen. The knight has to cross a river or ride alongside it... which will lead eventually to the sea.

rcb30872

Yes, water is associated with the emotions, but it can also be about the senses. For example, in the Ace of Cups there are five different streams, or whatever you want to call it, from when the cup is overflowing. They are supposed to represent the five senses: touch, smell, taste, smell and sight.

Water is a good way to symbolise something, for example the water can be calm and sometimes it can be turbulent, which can somehow relate to certain situations. It can also be about how we feel about something.

Waters run deep springs to mind. May indicate that there is more "depth" to something that meets the eye!

Poledra

rcb30872 said:
For example, in the Ace of Cups there are five different streams, or whatever you want to call it, from when the cup is overflowing. They are supposed to represent the five senses: touch, smell, taste, smell and sight.

Really? That is fascinating! I suppose it makes sense since our perception of a situation is so closely tied to how we feel about it.

Poledra

rcb30872

I heard it somewhere, or read it somewhere. It was some time ago, so I can't tell you where, because I forgot. All I remember what I wrote ;)

re-pete-a

Water in hermetic lore represents the sub conscious hence the river stix in the death card .The king on water with a stone throne would represent his ability to ,be above, and not be subject to, but master of ,hence KING,a master of law ,business or divinity.Some other cards have small streams ,this indicates to me an un developed but awakening sub conscious,the start of spirit. Interesting stuff this tarot, don't you think? .......Water and emotions?I'll ponder that for a while,nice angle to it, also it feels ok too.
________
Lesbian Tubes

re-pete-a

oops sorry

were sorry .......water .............mind .........not sub conscious mind......King of ones own mind and emotions,,,,,,,,,,,,worth a lot of ponderings
________
Cumshot eye

Vetch

And another stream-of-consciousness (kinda :) ) after reading what you all wrote ~

Emotions~ the senses~ we receive emotions via the senses. Communication, not via the mind (swords) but through deeper channels.

Water of Life; rain that nourishes.

Water also flows into the deep, into the underground ~> underworld ~> the subconscious.

Death ~> sailing on the river

Let go, let it flow