The Sun

wind

Let's talk about the Sun, please!:)

The card, I mean:):):)

When you see Sun card coming out, what do you think? What do you say?

For me it means that things are being "enlightened", they are coming out in the open and it is not so unpleasant as with other cards (beacuse seeing the whole trutgh might be hurting in some ways).

Or that you blossom in your full potential.

And it can also promise good results, things worked out, even new beginnings - the child in the picture.

Any other thoughts? If the outcome cards is the Sun, what do you say?

mtnmermaid

I hardly ever get it in readings for myself. Last time was in regard to a relationship and it was indicating my thoughts & feelings, and at the time I was just a shiny happy grinny little thing, feeling good about everything, feeling like the center of attention. :) Another time it came up representing a person I know and my first thought was that I better put on some emotional SPF 45 cause he's going to wear me out. You know that kind of energetic always switched on kind of person? Their energy is wonderful but it can be tiring to be around, a little too hot and bright sometimes.

If it's for someone else, what I say just depends on the other cards and the nature of the reading. I don't associate it with children. The deck I use most of the time doesn't have a child in it. (Tarot de Paris)

Abrac

Hi wind

For me it depends on the deck. A lot of decks represent the Sun as shiny and happy, but some like the Vieville portray it as fierce and menacing. The sun in nature clearly has these two aspects. A lot of how I interpret this card depends on it's context in a spread.

fools_fool :)

Flavio

fools_fool said:
For me it depends on the deck. A lot of decks represent the Sun as shiny and happy...
fools_fool is right, different decks offer new takes on the cards, for example I used to think that a reversed Sun was still very good but in a cloudy day so to speak, but the the Revelations Tarot give us the following description:

Reversed Sun said:
The pursuit of happiness can lead delays or even failure. Be weary of flying too close to the sun for the risk of being burnt.
As for the Sun in an outcome position, besides what other meanings had been explained it is a "YES" to a question, announcement of success, good health and vitality.

rachelcat

Apollo

Years ago, I connected the Sun card with the god Apollo as described in Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy. So beside happiness, Sun can symbolize anything that is light as opposed to dark: Things that are obvious and out in the open, like reason and intelligence, (public) virtue, and even creativity (Apollo as the father of music).

Although I'm not as comfortable with this equation, you can connect the opposite god of darkness, Dyonisius, with the Devil card. Besides evil, darkness can mean such things as mystery, instincts, desires, etc. For me it's more a combination of the Devil and the Moon . . .

rainwolf

Since the moon preceeds it, I think of it as coming through the darkness and seeing things as they really are. The 4 sunflowers represent the 4 elements, and the garden represents the inner growth of the senses.

divinerguy

For me, the Sun is the beginning of a new day. It is full of hope and promise, but be careful, you can be burned if you're not mindful of its power.

jojojo

The sun

I always have seen the sun as a positive card, that things are going well - 'bask in her rays and look at what you have achieved'

I asked the cards if there was anything I should do (regarding a situation) and the card I got was the sun....it flumaxed me...I wasn't sure what it was trying to tell me, as the card is a positive 'yes' card I thought that there was something I should do..but what....but when I thought about it my original meaning came to mind 'bask in her rays' so I thought no - everything is going to be ok regardless of what I do, so sit back and enjoy.....

caridwen

From my own experience: I did a reading regarding my dog when he was very very sick. I wasn't sure whether to have him put down or not and the final outcome card in the Celtic Cross I did was The Sun. He's fine and now three years old and in very good health.

That's what the Sun means to me. Success, hopes and wishes fulfilled. Every time I look at my dog, I feel blessed that he's here and still alive. He brings me such joy it's like that Sun card everytime, resonating.

If the Sun comes up for me in a reading, especially as a final outcome - I'll breath a sigh of relief and let the universe do her work. It's a wonderful card.

mtnmermaid

Yes, it's Apollo in the Mythic deck

and I kind of like that. Hecate is the Moon card and she's his opposite in that deck, not the Devil, (who's Pan) although I guess I could see the Devil as his opposite in some ways.