reading the c/c

isthmus nekoi

It seems that a lot of ppl don't sync up w/this spread so I thought I'd share some approaches that really helped me w/this spread. For all the criticisms levied against the c/c I believe it is a powerful and useful spread that is worth the time you put it in. c/c is a rather consuming spread, best used for a "snapshot" if you will, of a certain point of time and space. It can cover and relate the inner and outer aspects of your life simultaneously. Hence it is very good for meditation, clarification and understanding the greater patterns and systems working in your life.
However, I'd avoid c/c for quick clarification, a yes or no type answer. I'd say a three card spread is better for something that specific. Whenever I turn to c/c for a *specific* issue, I want to know *all aspects* of that issue, and how it will relate to the greater dynamics of my life.
I'm not saying I'm the expert or anything on the c/c but hopefully someone will find this info helpful.
-------
I think the most important thing about the c/c is finding relationships b/w the cards and seeking the overlying theme, issue, dynamic etc. It's like reading an astrological chart. It's fine and well knowing where each planet is, but the real revelations lie w/i how the houses, signs and planets *interact*. In this way, c/c is not a good beginner's spread if you don't have a grasp on the basic meanings of the cards. You can't synthesize if there's nothing there to connect in the first place. If you *get* the cards though, I see no reason why you can't start right away on the c/c.
------
What do I try to do to find connections? The keyword is CONTEXT.
First, I'm pretty methodical so I look at each card's history. Unless it's the first time a card appears, you, the deck and the card will have a history. Cards can tend to show up w/other cards. Cards can come and stay around and then disappear for awhile only to show up again. Cards may tend to come up reversed, or in a particular position. So I'm thinking of the reading in a *historical* context.
I often find it helpful to look at the positions and see if there are correlations/contradictions. ie. How do the conscious and unconscious mind relate? Does the persona match the conscious goal? Does the unconscious mind have elements which foreshadow the outcome? There are no set questions to ask. See what is in front of you and seek the relavant connections. This is a *positional* context.
Most importantly, I look for patterns w/i the spread, whether it's numerical (lots of 5s?), visual (motifs, colours), thematic (lots of women references). ie. the position of past, incoming influence and crown are all pentacles. But *don't* be bound by seeking themes through suits or numbers though. If you feel Strength, Death and 9 of Pentacles go together for whatever reason, go w/it and think about why you feel that way. I give the cards dynamic relationships ie. one card may be giving birth to another, maybe there is some animosity b/w these two cards etc. If I can, I'll try to draw lines b/w the positions/cards in a notebook so I can actually see the connection. I end up w/a lot of interesting patterns. This way I can flip back to previous readings that might have a similar pattern and relate the two readings. This is a *relational* context. If this is unclear, I could try to give more examples.
-------
Other things that may help:
- get to understand the positions very well. Keep them flexible.
- record your readings! It'll help w/finding temporal patterns and relationships. Also, you can always check back and see how the energies have played out in your life.
- set aside a lot of time for this spread. I usually take 30 min to 1 hour.
- force yourself to sum up the reading concisely in the end.
------
If y'all find this confusing, I could post a sample reading to illustrate what I mean. If you totally disagree w/my approach, do share but play nice ^_~
------
To get a lowdown on the positions, please check out http://www.learntarot.com which gives a pretty good breakdown.

MeeWah

IsthmusNekoi: Thanks for sharing your understanding & insight regarding this spread. I also see this spread as a picture of a moment in time; capable of multi-level feedback. Nice to have ye share my corner :)

Trogon

Thank you isthmus nekoi! A very interesting and helpful take on the Celtic Cross! I have been using this spread ever since I began learning the Tarot, but only recently started "getting" it. Your thoughts on this were very helpful.

Major Tom

isthmus nekoi said:
For all the criticisms levied against the c/c I believe it is a powerful and useful spread that is worth the time you put it in. In this way, c/c is not a good beginner's spread if you don't have a grasp on the basic meanings of the cards. You can't synthesize if there's nothing there to connect in the first place. If you *get* the cards though, I see no reason why you can't start right away on the c/c.

Thank you for so articulately expressing what I've been trying to say in another thread. })

isthmus nekoi

you're welcome!

Meewah, that's a great point about c/c working on many levels. I'll often find several threads in a reading - usually cards will relate to more than one - and the trick is weaving all those threads together into a cohesive pattern.

lawguy51

Isthmus: A terrific description. I love the CC spread for the very reason that it pulls me in and makes me study it for 30 min. or so. Sometimes I'll leave it on the rug where I do my readings and come back to it the next day and find some other layered meaning that escaped me the night before. Thanks for your insight. Now I'm going to study your message for a half hour or so!

Red Emma

Celtic Cross

Thanks, Isthmus,

Because of the time it takes, I'd just about given up on CC. A two or three card spread takes very little time and usually gives me what I need at any given moment. With your insights, I think I'll go back and give it another try.

Regards,

Red Emma

Kaz

nice try istmus :p

but

i still do not like the CC.......and probably wont ever will.....

kaz

isthmus nekoi

Kaz> to each his own :)

Oh yeah, I should also add that my approaches are just suggestions and examples - if anyone's got different ways to connect the cards, pls share!

Pollux

Wow Isthmus, great contribution!

I use the learntarot version too, it is great! As I said somewhere, the one that "got me going", and opened the gate of understanding for me.

I particularly agree with the multi-level view - and we both know how true it is if you follow Joan Bunning's version of Unconscious/Conscious Mind instead of "basis" (What's that??? *LOL*) and "crown" (ARGH! *LOL*). What is more, she's very neat with the Staff part, that many people find confusing - and her take on the Wild Card is the best! <JB RuleZ>

And the second point, is interaction between the cards: Yup, the CC carries tons of relations and it might be tricky to detect them at first attempts, but I definitely agree with your take, and find the Astrological comparison you make strikingly truthful.

Lastly, I wanted to say that I find the sample readings on 78DW and JB's site very helpful as well as regards this last point - a walkthrough in trying to understand how the relationships thing goes...