Readings for teenagers/young adults

Jeanette

I would like to know what thoughts are out there about doing readings for teenagers and young adults. I am finding this to be a very impressionable/sensitive group and have to be very careful about how I interpret the cards. I have to emphasize that the future is not written in stone, things can be changed. I don't want to always paint a rosy picture, but it really seems to help if I concentrate more on the positive and not dwell on negatives. I try to give the whole picture, though. I feel more of an ethical obligation when reading for this age group, moreso than when reading for adults (who have already established their independence and viewpoints, compared to still asserting/testing). How do the rest of you feel about this? Just curious! Jeanette

cj

Jeanette (16 Oct, 2001 05:06):
I would like to know what thoughts are out there about doing readings for teenagers and young adults.

Jeanette,

the only young adult who asked me to read for her was 10 and I told her no way..she did not have enough "life experience" to get an accurate reading (I was just trying to put her off- not turn her away).

As far as teenagers, I think it would depend on what they are looking for and why (and depending on age how the parents feel about it). you are right about emphasizing the positive. this age group can be too sensitive to deal with negative as a warning..

cj

Kiama

Exactly what age (In numbers) are we focussing on in this?

Kiama

tiger lily

Kiama (16 Oct, 2001 05:33):
Exactly what age (In numbers) are we focussing on in this?

Kiama

Hee, hee - everyone over 16, of course... seriously, I started with tarot when I was 13 and it didn´t harm me.

Considering that many "adults" seem to have stopped maturing by the age of ... oh... 10 (see my sig }> ), I would decide on this person´s *soul* age, not on the age of her body. There are children out there who are more mature than their parents will ever be...

bec

I don´t do readings on ppl I sence won´t be able to comprehend the somewhat cryptic ways of interpret. Especially with children/teenagers/young adults you´ll have to explain the symbols and meanings and pin it down to accurate every-day-language ...... and YET still you can´t be sure whether you reached them or scared the sh*t out of them ........ My inner feeling about it, is that their future is to "far away" or will last for to many years ahead - they haven´t lived long enough to comprehend time and space, and I see that as substansial for a positive and accurate reading..........

Thirteen

I'm not afraid to do a reading for teens/YA, but I would be *VERY* careful about which deck I used. I don't know that I'd use a deck with a Death card in it, for example, or a 10 of swords which has a body stabbed with 10 swords. It's not that I'm trying to protect the teens from gruesome images, by the way, it's that they *do* jump to conclusions and no matter what you say, they fix ideas in their mind and get scared. If they see a death card, they're sure to think they or someone's bound to die, even if you swear up and down that the card doesn't mean that at all!

I think I'd go for something visually intreguing, and with names/symbols that I could interpet without fearing them being misinterpeted by a kid likely to be hypersensitive because, well, teens can be hypersensitive :)

Kiama

Well, it depends. Most people I do readings for are teens, ages from 10 upwards. But then again, I only do that cuz I know them like the back of my hand, so I know they won't jump to any stupid conclusions or worry themsleves sily over a certain card. Most of the time with these teens, they've known for years about the Tarot, and one of the first questions they ask me when they wanna know about it, is 'what if you get the death card?' So they all know that it doesn't mean physical death. They all also so the cards more as a psychological tool for problem solving and counselling, cuz that's what I do with the cards. I don't really look at any long-term futures or anything, so I don't read for them if the question is: 'Who will I marry?' or 'Will I die before the age of 40?'

But, if a kid age 10 or below that I didn't know, asked me for a reading I'd say no. I don't have their parents consent, I don't know what they're like. It's different with my lil' sis cuz I know her so well.

If a teen came up to me and asked, I'd consider it carefully, I'd try and assess their character, and ask them what they knew of teh Tarot. But it's usually a no anyway.

Kiama

glamourbug

i dont do many personal readings through lack of time etc but when younger people ask for readings i tend to justtrust my instinct. Normally after talking to them about the question they have in mind i can tell whether i think they are mature and wise enough for reading while others abviously aren't.

Really if i feel right about it i will and if i dont then i wont. Probably a bit too simplistic in some cases and some people's opinions but it works for me.

Jeanette

Thanks to everyone for your ideas on this. I kind of had mixed feelings about it, but my son is 14 and many of his friends wanted me to read for them. I guess the age group I was looking at encompasses 13 to 19 or so. I've mostly found his friends to be very open-minded and I try to keep things general, unless they want to discuss something very specific. I really emphasize that I can't predict the future. Sometimes I think they just like someone to talk to who isn't their parent, so I'm happy to do that, too. :) Jeanette

glamourbug

Jeanette,

that makes a lot of sense and as long as it isnt upsetting anyone i would just continue doing what you are doing. it's different if they are looking to you to sort out their proeblems and tel them what to do but if you can read for them in an empowering way there sholdnt be any problems what so ever.