Eight of Cups Reversed

resa

I was wondering how you all read the Eight of Cups Reversed.
I believe it's supposed to mean "great joy, happiness, feasting," but I was wondering if there was anything else I was missing. It's shown up in a few of my readings, and it doesn't make much sense to me right now.

Saleheim

When I get reversed cards in a reading I also look at the connection with the other cards but my thought would be along the lines of 'joining after departure' and then of course in a broader sense. Maybe things make sense again or feelings get rejuvinated. Where interest was lost it gets refound, something like that.

Thirteen

8 or 9 of Cups?

resa said:
I believe it's supposed to mean "great joy, happiness, feasting," but I was wondering if there was anything else I was missing. It's shown up in a few of my readings, and it doesn't make much sense to me right now.
Are you sure you mean 8 (EIGHT?) of cups? This is sounds like the meaning for the 9 (NINE) of cups.

8/Cups is a man leaving 8 cups behind to follow the moon--and it usually indicates leaving behind all you love (i.e, all you're familiar with, home, family, friends) to follow a dream--a wise or foolish move depending on what the rest of the spread tells you.

Reversed, the 8/Cups would indicate some impediment or block keeping you from leaving to follow your dreams; this impediment might be guilt or just a lack of courge on your part--excuses that keep you with the familiar rather than packing your bags and seeking the unknown.

9/Cups, on the other hand, is the innkeeper with 9/cups on the table--as you defined it, joy, happiness, feasting. This is the bar where everyone knows your name, where the innkeeper has set out the cups for your and your friends, and the wine is already uncorked and ready to flow when you arrive...free of charge!

Reversed is actually easy--imagine all those cups empty and turned upside-down upon the table. Ever gone with friends to a favorite restaurant or bar to celebrate...only to find it's closed? Or worse, gone out of business! That's what we're talking about. Your anticpated celebration, joyful evening with friends and family has been shut down.

December Fairy

resa said:

In addition to the meaning you give, The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals suggests the reversal could mean...

A window of opportunity. With the cups all at the top the diamond shapes do kinda look like little windows.

Stockpiling/collection Upright he is walking away & leaving them, so reversed would be the opposite.

Resisting spending time alone

A vacation denied or postponed

A dream of escape that can not happen

Hard to let go and move on

psychicbody

I usually attribute a less profound meaning to a Minor inverted, depending on the spread.
I agree, that the Eight inverted would signify leaving behind that which you love, so possibly not being accessable to those close to you, because that number signifies action.