Crystals and Herbs for an alter

caridwen

Crystals and Herbs for an altar

I recently read a very intereresting article on altars and decided that I was going to create one on my window sill as I think the Moon and Sun are important for it.

Apart from that I'm at a bit of a loss.

I know there should be 'stuff' on my altar and I should have the four elements and directions on there. So I need a cup for water or something watery. Something representing earth and air and fire.

Is my altar supposed to be something totally personal to me? If so I will have a representation of the goddess Brigid. Am I supposed to be following certain rituals?

Anyway, I'm doing a spell coming to the end of the month and want my alter for then. I would like to know of any herbs and crystals I need for this time.

I need a crystal or stone that represents a magnet. Something that is supposed to draw stuff to you. I could use a real magnet I suppose...I would also like to know of purification stones or herbs to get rid off any negative energy or is energy good for the altar?

I could do with some help here:(

Bat Chicken

I am NOT a crystal expert... by any means. But I do like to create an altar of sorts for using Tarot and for anything requiring a clear head for intuition.

I use a book on Candles to suggest candle colours, herbs and crystals for certain things and I'll add one of personal significance to me. I've done OK with that. I think D.J. Conway's Candle Magic was a helpful little book - for herbs, crystals, incense and candles. I am not a part of any particular religion but I find those sources on Wicca to be very useful and very in depth (some Grimoires). This link has some neat info - including the use of magnetite which when polished up is very pretty - almost like hematite:
http://www.paganlibrary.com/rituals_spells/davidsorita.php

I think the purists would look down on me, but, I tend to bend everything to what is available and what resonates with me. Incense and herbs are going to have a very personal effect and I go with my gut. If the smell turns me off, I don't use it - period.

I don't know if that helped at all.... :)

caridwen

Thanks for your help. I checked out the link and found some useful info there:)

Today I bought a small pottery chalice, a stoppered bottle and candle holder to make an alter. I'm just going to follow my intuition here and create something that resonates with me.:D

caridwen

I found some more info and am probably going to follow this particularly the second diagram.

I think I'm going to make a pentagram as well and get a statue of the Green Man. I'm going to use stones; a chalice; a feather and a candle to represent the four directions and I think I'll probably add lots of things I find in nature as that's where I'm most drawn.

As for crystals...I do not know and am still doing research.:)

Milfoil

What is your altar for?

I think that going with your intuition is the best way. An Altar is a centre of focus, a place to centre your intent, thanks, love and understanding.

I love the idea of an alter on a window sill for the sun and moon, thats a great thing to do.

An altar can be as simple as a candle and some flowers or as ornate and structured as the Wiccan altar in your link. Its YOUR offering to the spirits, your gift to the Goddess/Gods so thinking about what is special to you right now, what resonates with you, inspires you and what you want to offer back in thanks - put that on your altar. It can change every day if you wish - it really is up to you.

Whatever you do will be acceptable and understood.

At least you are doing it - so few do.

caridwen

Milfoil said:
What is your altar for?

I think that going with your intuition is the best way. An Altar is a centre of focus, a place to centre your intent, thanks, love and understanding.

I love the idea of an alter on a window sill for the sun and moon, thats a great thing to do.

An altar can be as simple as a candle and some flowers or as ornate and structured as the Wiccan altar in your link. Its YOUR offering to the spirits, your gift to the Goddess/Gods so thinking about what is special to you right now, what resonates with you, inspires you and what you want to offer back in thanks - put that on your altar. It can change every day if you wish - it really is up to you.

Whatever you do will be acceptable and understood.

At least you are doing it - so few do.

I'm not sure what my altar is for...I was inspired by an article I read about altars and thought that it would be a nice thing to do.

I have moved my altar from my window sill as the curtains were a nuisance so I am moving it to my chest of drawers which is placed between two windows - perfect!

I am going to create a forest/nature altar with a green woman and green man on either side. I will put items that resonate with me from nature and mischevious forest sprites as well as bits of wood and berries. Autumn is my favourite time for forest walks as the trees are so beautiful...

I will post a picture when I've finished - I'm enjoying doing the research:D

Milfoil

Excellent - go with what feels right and you won't go wrong. I don't believe there is a wrong.

Looking forward to seeing those photos.

:)

Bat Chicken

Me too! :D

Star-Willow

Milfoil said:

This is such great advice, altars really are a personal thing. Mine changes with the seasons and with whatever work/spells I may be doing at the time.... but ultimately it is a personal place of focus and intent.

I am fortunate that mine is in a spot that faces the East, it doesn't catch the rays of the rising Sun but during the day it does receive sunlight.. also when we have a Full Moon, at a certain time during the night my altar is bathed in Moon light :)

Enjoy creating your altar and I look forward to seeing your picture aswell.