thoth study or intuition????

tarotrose

depends on personality?

Thoth is an ideal deck for me because I do best when I have a system to "hang" meanings and new data on, but at the same time, I have a lot of options open. I like a structure to fall back on when in doubt, but I don't like to be bound to it -- this works for me in both tarot and the rest of life.

The Thoth deck is an academically oriented person's dream -- there is probably more there than I will ever be able to learn or absorb, with its ties to magick, astrology, qabalah, Crowley, etc. I have a background in psychology, and I'm drawn to Jung, so there is the ultimate framework onto which I'm grafting tarot. I love this process -- it's very exciting for me. But especially my recent studies in astrology just reinforce the fact that what works for one person may not be right for another.

From a Jungian perspective, the archetypes and archetypal themes represented in the tarot will speak to people who just pick up the deck and read intuitively. Intuition is a valid way of knowing. Emotion is a valid way of knowing -- noting what kind of emotional response you have to a card can tell you something about the cards meaning and can also tell you something about yourself. If a reader isn't being true to his or her insight, then one might as well dispense with the third party and just take up a book and look up the meanings to interpret a spread. A person who really takes the study seriously might think that's not a bad idea, but the fact is, for many people who want to have their cards read, the interpersonal connection with the reader is an important part of the process. And the combination of reading the cards and connecting with the querent can be invaluable to both reader and querent.

So, from my perspective, the more I study, the more the possibilities of the cards open up for me, but ultimately, in the moment, I will go with what tugs at me or stands out most for me. Otherwise, I could write pages on the spectrum of possibilities for a spread, if I tried considering and incorporating every conceivable level of meaning. Mostly, I'm looking for insight. Quick does not necessarily mean superficial.

You are the unique YOU created to bring your specific traits and talents to bear on life. So, go forth and read as it seems right for you.

Lillie

yaraluna said:
are there any people out there that use the thoth deck as a 'normal' deck for divination?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal', but yes, I use it for divination.
It's what I use it for.

Want to know if your boyfriend is cheating?
I'll ask the thoth.
Want to know what's wrong with your car?
I'll ask the thoth.

I can't imagine what other people might do with theirs, but that's what I use mine for.
It's why there was a booklet of meanings that came with it.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Oh no...the THOTH? :eek:)

:D
This is why I quit asking about the Thoth on the AT.
(Not the few on here!) I mean this entire thread, is heavy!

Some people are so cool and and have an awesome sense of humor when it comes to Uncle Al's creation. You have to be able to smile when it comes to AC!
The doubled penis goat, the Queen of Swords...ah come on...this deck is awesome even if you aren't a hippy! And he saw more than we give him credit for...ask the Lady if you want sanity, not the Uncle!

I coulnd't stand the Thoth when I first saw it. It turned me away. It wasn't untill I got miffed at someone and I tried reading with it, did I find I could see things that I never knew were there. Although, I perfer intuitive, verses the book, I still want my book. I want the symbols, I want others opinion, I want it all when it comes to the Thoth.
But I tend to piss people off when it comes to this deck! :D And I love that fact. So, I had to quit asking questions about my favorite deck.:) Gee wiz!

I don't miss when I read with Thoth. Its not the deck, its how I feel when I lay them down and caress them with thought. Its what they do to me. :angel:

Study them YES, but read them intutivly. Its a deeper read for someone if you know all the paths around the Thoth deck.

:DBarbara Ann

absinthetarot

thoth thought

go with yer gut. my dad always told me that.
besides theres so many nerves down there its practiclly a second brain!

gregory

Oh, Lillie will take the piss out of Uncle Al for you. })

But it really did tell her what was wrong with her car !
She was as surprised as anyone, much as she trusts it ! No-one told her Uncle Al had studied mechanics !

Barbaras Ahajusts

This is why I place Lillie upon a pedistal! She can handle that man, that Uncle of ours! Besides, someone really must set up on that pedistal to let us know who is coming or not.
I hate surprises..but not as much as Lillie and her car situation. :rolleyes:

})Barb

gregory

Lillie is my GOD. :D

No, really. })

I love her to bits too, but I would happily start a religion based on her and her Thothiness :D

It would be even better than the Church of the Spaghetti Monster ! Not least because it would always answer back !

Barbaras Ahajusts

Gregory, I adore your humor!

You get to be Lillies right hand maiden in this new church.
"Thothed Lillie Church of Pure Knowledge and the Right Winged Faes Assembly"

This way, we know between Lille, her Thoth and the Faes with only a right wing, we shall be guided in the right direction...

go ahead and hit me....but is only out of adoration of Lillie!

:DBarb

Scion

I get to be altarboy. :party: But only if I get to do it with a mono-wing myself. :D

Barbaras Ahajusts

I think this is a great idea, Scion. But you have to wear a half white & half black robe.
It has to do with our mood swings, not Lillie! :D

Mono ah mono...Barb:)