Sabian Symbols Study Group: Aries Degree 17 - #17

Elven

:) Welcome to the Sabian Symbol Oracle Study thread!

Please feel free to discuss the Sabian Symbol in this thread, and to ask questions or, explore any aspect of the many interpretions the Symbol holds. Please add your own observations and interpretations too!! The Symbol used in this heading is by Lynda Hill www.sabiansymbols.com

Sun Sign: ARIES
Degree: 17
Number: 17

Symbol: TWO PRIM SPINSTERS SITTING TOGETHER IN SILENCE.

Elven

The Karmic Symbol for Aries 17 is:
ARIES 16 ~ BRIGHTLY CLAD BROWNIES DANCING IN THE WARM DYING LIGHT.

The Quest Symbol for Aries 17 is:
ARIES 18 ~ AN EMPTY HAMMOCK HANGS BETWEEN TWO LOVELY TREES.

The Opposite Symbol for Aries 17 is:
LIBRA 17 ~ A RETIRED SEA CAPTAIN WATCHES SHIPS ENTERING AND LEAVING HARBOUR.

The 3 symbol in Tension with Aries 17 are:
CANCER 17 ~ THE SEED GROWS INTO KNOWLEDGE AND LIFE.

LIBRA 17 ~ A RETIRED SEA CAPTAIN WATCHES SHIPS ENTERING AND LEAVING HARBOUR.

CAPRICORN 17 ~ A YOUNG WOMAN SURREPTITIOUSLY BATHING IN THE NUDE.

Symbols of the 5 Pointed Star (72 degree apart) from Aries 17 are:
GEMINI 29 ~ THE FIRST MOCKINGBIRD OF SPRING SINGS FROM THE TREE TOP.

VIRGO 11 ~ A BOY MOULDED IN HIS MOTHER'S ASPIRATIONS FOR HIM.

SCORPIO 23 ~ A RABBIT METAMORPHOSED INTO A NATURE SPIRIT.

AQUARIUS 5 ~ A COUNCIL OF ANCESTORS HAS BEEN CALLED TO GUIDE A MAN.

Blessings
Elven x

Elven

My very first impression of this symbol was from the the old black and white movie "Arsnic and Old Lace". LOL:p

Its the comedy story of a guy trying to cope with his mad cousin and his wacky aunts - two very sweet (not) spinster sisters who are very 'prim & proper' except for the fact (between them) that they poison lonely old men :eek:.

Some of the Quotes from the film are:

Police Sgt. Brophy: They're two of the dearest, sweetest, kindest, old ladies that ever walked the earth. They're out of this world. They're like pressed rose leaves.
:)

The keywords used by Lynda Hill (in bold type below) in her book The Sabian Symbol as an Oracle are below - couple with some lines from the film.

The struggle to hold onto one's original identity.

Rev. Harper: Have you ever tried to persuade him that he wasn't Teddy Roosevelt?
Abby: Oh, no.
Martha Brewster: Oh, he's so happy being Teddy Roosevelt.
Abby: Oh... Do you remember, Martha, once, a long time ago, we thought if he'd be George Washington, it would be a change for him, and we suggested it.
Martha: And do you know what happened? He just stayed under his bed for days and wouldn't be anybody.
Cab Driver: I'm not a cab driver. I'm a coffeepot!

The need to loosen up emotional blockages.

Lt. Rooney: Who are you? What's your name?
Mortimer: Well, usually I'm Mortimer Brewster, but I'm not quite myself today.
Dr. Einstein: "Where am I? Oh, here I am".

Exclusive Relationships.

Elaine: But Mortimer, you're going to love me for my mind, too.
Mortimer: One thing at a time!

Relationships that have a quiet "knowing".

"Even the cat's in on it!"
Mortimer Brewster to to Dr. Einstein: "Stop underacting, I can't hear you!"

Inner withdrawal.

Jonathan Brewster: "This time, I want the face of an absolute non-enity!"

Not wanting to compromise because of social expectations.

Mortimer: Yeah, yeah, I know that bromide. Something borrowed, something blue - old, new! Rice and old shoes, carry you over the threshold, Niagara Falls — all the silly tripe I've made fun of for years. Is this what I've come to? I can't go through with it. I won't marry you and that's that!
Elaine: [adoring] Yes, Mortimer.
Mortimer: What do you mean, "Yes, Mortimer"? Aren't you insulted? Aren't you going to cry? Aren't you going to make a scene?
Elaine: [adoring] No, Mortimer.
Mortimer: And don't "No, Mortimer" me either! Don't... Don't you see, marriage is a superstition, it... It's old-fashioned, it's... I... Ohhhh...
[He kisses her and hauls her into the marriage license office]
:D

There is an old fashioned belief which says: it is important to our friends to believe that we are unreservedly frank and honest with them, and important to friendship if we are not.

Mortimer: Aunt Abby, how can I believe you? There are twelve bodies in the cellar and you admit you poisoned them.
Abby: Yes, I did. But you don't think I'd stoop to telling a fib.

:D

Mortimer: You didn't want the reverend to see the body?
Abby: Well, not at tea. That wouldn't have been very nice.

~~~~~~

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

TAKEN FROM LYNDA HILLS WEBSITE www.sabiansymbols.com -

Quiet withdrawal might be just what you need now, but it is easy to become isolated in conservative, albeit moral, ideas. You may find that there is only a select, restricted group with whom you wish to associate. Be wary that this false sense of security doesn't isolate you from change and growth. Look for opportunities to open up to new possibilities.
Loosen up emotional blockages. Holding onto one's original identity, not wanting to compromise because of social expectations.
The Caution: Emotional insulation. Refusing to accept relationship. Pretending to be something that one is not. Disapproval of younger, more vital energies. Being so fussy and judgmental that it precludes one from relationships.

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. Benjamin Franklin

Dr Jones says the keyword is divorcement... discusses its a symbol of privacey and of pro's and con's...

Body part is - Vertebral canal - is the cerebrospinal fluid-filled space that runs longitudinally through the length of the entire spinal cord. The central canal is contiguous with the ventricular system of the brain.

I suppose personally this not one of my favourite symbols and amazingly no one I have done a reading for has it in their chart - weird hu...
I will see the bright side of it - one day :)

MARINA

Elven

Hi Marina, I know what you mean about this Symbol popping up rarely in readings - when I read the interpretation (from the book) I could 'sense' the silence in it :)
It also takes me back to my childhood and my nan and my 12 aunties - who not all of them I knew. But the loungeroom with the doillies over the backs of the lounge chairs, the 3 ducks on the wall, the glass bevilled edged coffee table, the mantle clock ticking away in the silence, even the beige walls and the ceiling decorations - the room was only used for 'quiet dicussions' and things of family importance, scones and visitors. Children weren'y usually allowed in this room. My grandfather was not present - he had passed away - but his press down ashray was still on the side table under the standing lamp next to his chair - he was never 'dicussed'. It was a very old fashioned quiet room where 'ladies' sat and talked - even then.

Many Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Elven, your memory makes me think
I wonder how many of our thought ARE actullay heard!

MARINA

Elven

OOOhh interesting Mcsea - especially with that Symbol - the silence around that room, era, time .. children should be seen and not heard - never meant I didnt 'hear' what was going on. Even when nothing was spoken.

and that also made me think of the contrast I place on the Symbol - the comedy aspect of Arsnic & Old Lace and the stuffy reality of Nanas place. LOL!!

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Element Halite
Discussion Rock salt, table salt, Halite is the crysatline form of sodium chloride, usually colourless to white but can be pale blue and even pink. Salt traditionally was used for preserving food. Energetically salt can be used to release negative thought forms and energy. Pink halite in particular can teach us about love and self love. In chemistry salts are formed from solutions, for example rock salt is the evaporite from sea water, this echos the key word divorcement I feel. Also the two prim spinsters have a salty feel to me! I see them with their little table set up tea coffee sugar pepper and SALT.

purple_scorp

I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 477

tink27

purple_scorp said:
I thought it would be good to use the Orphalese software to record my daily sabian symbol readings and so set about looking for appropriate images to convey the meaning of each card.

Attached is what I came up with for this symbol.

with love
purple_scorp

I can't help with purple_scorps's picture here think that 'the world we see is the world we are. Or, how about 'missing your mark in life'. Going against your own 'nature'.

This symbol is totally opposite from the one before, which was highly spirited, imaginative and free!

I can't help feeling that these women were imaginative and sensitive children, who were either told they were 'stupid'......because they loved the arts, hugged the trees, and just loved life! Or maybe they were criticized for their abilities, especiallly when compared with a brother or sister or the other kids in their class. Unable to rise above the hurdles and frustrations, they shut down, and went through the motions of having 'a good life'.

Marina, you mentioned what could be good about this symbol? Perhaps a lesson.

Many people do get confused about healing, especially on the mental/feeling and emotional level. I've known so friends and associates who have said to me, I practice only 'positive thinking'. But in actuality its their way of blocking out negative thoughts. Perhaps at some time in their lives they were stuck in some negative vibes and feeling better they didn't want to slip back into a depressed or despairing state, so they shoved it down and pretended they didn't exist.

But we all know that eventually these denied or repressed thoughts and feelings will find their way out....one way or another!

These woman look to be from an older generation where alot of people found it hard to reach their goals. Not because of the limitations around them but of the limitations they placed on themselves, through their own lack of awarness...and maybe being told women just weren't as intelligent or important as the men.....especially during wartime.

Disconnected from the nature spirits and from the life force itself can leave us all feeling empty and insecure. Unconsciously we try to find an alternate to fill the inner void, striving for money, power and success to cover and hide the real root of the problem.

Spiritual healing happens when we begin the journey of reconnecting to our creative, intuitive energy, a happy and joyful soul known as the Self. And we do this in silence! An in this silence, we connect not only to our Self, but we experience oneness with nature, and with all other beings.

tink :love: