Death Reversed

Julien

Hi everyone,

I THINK this is the right place to post this as it's not about a specific reading but more generally about the relationship between particular cards wherever they show up...

Because it's been coming up a lot in a variety of readings, I've been trying to understand what it means when the Death card shows up reversed. I've generally read it as a transformation that has been blocked, but lately I've noticed it coming up in places where it could be that the transformation in consciousness has already happened (say in the past position of a CC or a three card spread), and/or within a reading where there's a lot of transformational energy -- the 8 of Wands, the King of Wands Reversed (a paradigm shift of some sort)...

So I got to thinking. When it's reversed and in the context of the reading it appears that the trigger event that changes everything has already happened, is the Death card reversed describing the resurrection part of the rebirth process? The old consciousness has died and the new one is working on coming into its own... The paradigm has been confronted, but the new paradigm isn't quite established yet, so the transition feels as though it is on-going...

I'm curious to know if others have seen the Death card in this light? What's your experience with understanding the tranformation it describes in readings where it appears the transition is underway, and still working itself out?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Julien

MercyMe

Traditionally I think Death Rx tends to indicate that the ending is being resisted, the person is having a difficult time and is fighting against the change. In the past or passing position, it may indicate the person has struggled with this change/ending but has now stopped struggling.

On the other hand, Mary Greer gives a meaning similar to what you're seeing in her book The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals. She wrote:

...you may feel as if you are "emerging from the dead," coming out of a period of depression or stagnation, awakening again to enjoyment of life and sensual pleasure. Perhaps you are recovering from grief or sadness. Something you considered dead could resurge or reemerge, like revived interest in an old passion. A person could "come back from the dead," either figuratively or through a literal "near-death" experience.

I guess great minds think alike! :)

~Mercy

Julien

Hi Mercy -- thanks for the post.

Yeah, I know the traditional meaning, but it seems to me that there's more going on with this card. Glad to see Mary Greer feels something similar!

Julien

psychicbody

When I read a Major Arcana inverted, I interpret that meaning to be more profound than if it were one of the Minors. So, to me merely "blocked" or subdued is more appropriate for perhaps the 10 of Swards.
Death inverted to me represents the other side of change: instead of an ending to some phase, it can represent eigther a persistance (refusal to change, as some might say,) or it means that something is growing instead. Say, if you asked about a job you are thinking of transferring to and that card shows up, it could mean that you might not get the job, but instead you are promoted at your current work place.

Ace

MercyMe said:
Traditionally I think Death Rx tends to indicate that the ending is being resisted, the person is having a difficult time and is fighting against the change. In the past or passing position, it may indicate the person has struggled with this change/ending but has now stopped struggling.

Or perhaps that something changed and you are not happy about it, or have not accepted it yet. Not the ending is being resisted, the CHANGE is being resisted.
Ace