View Single Post
Resident

3Jane 

The scene and symbolism (as I see it intuitively without referring to the book):

A woman sits on a round, red spot. Her surroundings are dark blue. Behind her stand two white pillars, one on each side. The pillars are painted with patterns that indicate the female body and the Goddess.

The woman in the centre is black. Her breasts are bare. Her arms are spread in a welcoming way. Her legs are open in a birthing position, parallel to the pillars. Her face and belly are covered with ceremonial paint designs. She is wearing a headdress which resembles the upper part of a bull head, with tassels attached to its ears. She is also wearing a blue top, a grass skirt and a necklace made of white stones (pearls?)

The story based on the scene above:

This woman is the guardian of the mystery. She embodies it instead of explaining it, as the mystery can only be experienced or conveyed by experience. As the guardian at the gate of life and rebirth, she decides who will pass it and in which direction. Such is the sacred power and authority granted to women by the Goddess: to give life or refuse passage (including menstruation and abortion, as indicated by the red spot). As a priestess, the woman also decides who will be initiated into Goddess Mysteries.

Some words and phrases have caught my attention when reading through the book:

“The female body alternates between receptive and active during each monthly cycle, like ebb and flow of the tides. The Magician and High Priestess symbolise the alternating modes of perception and activity.”

Equilibrium and guidance on our journeys through unconscious. Deep blue of creative space. Dreaming consciousness, latent psychic abilities. Secrets of death and resurrection. An open door to the sacred realms of mysticism and magic. Sybil: the mouthpiece of the Goddess. Female body as vessel for the holiest of mysteries and divine experiences available to the human being. Crescent horns of fertility: waxing and waning moon. Left pillar: owl goddess, past. Right pillar: what lies ahead (patterns still abstract).

Intuition, older and deeper wisdom, body and emotion, divination, dreams, affirmation of being thrue to a path, destiny or purpose, sanctified, receptive, answers inside, psychic.

Based on this, my keywords would be:

Positive: wordless understanding, wisdom of body and emotion, divination and psychic abilities, mystery. For women: initiation into the mysteries of the Goddess and coming into the authority bestowed by Her.
Negative: inability to communicate the insights, conflicting or mixed internal signals, psychic overload, a closed gate.

Quotes I found on BrainyQuote that I thought were related:

To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.
Marilyn vos Savant

Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.
Neil Armstrong

Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
Max Planck
Top   #2