Best Devil card?

Penthasilia

Which ones do you like? I have always liked the non-traditional ones (like the Favole) and figured I would open this up to the forum.

:)

Serapis

Whilst devils in other decks have perhaps greater meaning and scope of symbological representation, my favourite is probably from the Morgan-Greer deck for its presence, power and impact. Not only on its own, but within the deck it contrasts and interacts with the other cards wonderfully.

Jon

WyrdRaven

The original edition of the Visconti Gold. I love that medieval devil with the leering demonic face on his belly!

jcwirish

I've always felt that the Devil card in the Bohemian Gothic was rather brilliant and powerful.

Carla

Whilst devils in other decks have perhaps greater meaning and scope of symbological representation, my favourite is probably from the Morgan-Greer deck for its presence, power and impact. Not only on its own, but within the deck it contrasts and interacts with the other cards wonderfully.

Jon

I second Morgan Greer. It's such a jolt when you're first looking through this deck and that card pops up. Wham! Having said that, to be honest my favourite Devil card is the Rider Waite Smith one.

I don't really like Devil cards that equate the Devil with Pan or in some way try to take the sting out of the card. It ought to sting a little, though not necessarily be 'scary'.

Tibor

I like the Devil from Anna K, Touchstone, Golden Tarot, :)

WolfyJames

Among my favorite Devil cards are:

- The one in the Druidcraft Tarot. The card looks beautiful and it shows Cernunnos, but he looks ominous, dangerous.

- The one in the Housewife Tarot. That card is funny... and deadly. The deck in general is really harsh.

- The one in the Llewellyn Tarot. I find this card beautiful, the scenery, the fog, the fox...

- The one in the Tarot of Vampyres. This Devil is a Thoth-like Devil, filled with life and virility. I have trouble taking the Thoth Devil seriously, but that one is so totally awesome in every way. Ian Daniels says that about his Devil:

The Devil portrayed here is not the evil figure as characterized by some interpretation of the Bible, but rather an image of fiery creative energy. As the trump card of Capricorn, his nature is that of a wild mountain goat, representing cosmic creative energy in its most material and masculine aspect. He embodies our instinctive lust for life and the burst of energy that brings new life into existence. The powerful arching horns represent divine spiral energy, materialized in earthly form - Capricorn being the most impulsive and initiative of the earth signs. The Devil has an insatiable animalistic passion that reaches up into heaven and down into the centre of the earth, connecting earth energy with divine inspiration. This creative union allows the indigo earth energy to rise and melt with the gold cosmic energy above itself. The Devil can represent a spiritual awakening if we gain control over our unbalanced animal instincts by reuniting them with our higher self, where they are transformed into a more natural, sensual bliss. This illustrates that the Devil card is both our animalist lusts exalted to a higher spiritual plane, as well as the anchoring of our divine creative inspiration in the deep earth. The two angels embody our higher self enthralled and impassioned within our physical being, enraptured in their sensuality and passion,as represented by the bubbling cauldron of blood. This cauldron contains all the potency of life seething into new possibilities. As the zenith of midwinter (Saturn), the Devil also illustrates the heedless driving force of life reaching from the dark earth into light, much like the fermenting forms of nature such as insects and ivy craving for life. The reversed pentagram is a symbol of the earth element exalted above spirit, to which it has gained control via physical manifestation and willful action. The two upturned points are symbolic of the rampant horns of the goat, further enhanced by the fact that the card is exalted in Mars (creative energy and willpower).

Which ones do you like? I have always liked the non-traditional ones (like the Favole) and figured I would open this up to the forum.

:)

I took a peak and I have to agree he is quite a hottie that Favole Devil. Kind of reminds me of the Devil in the Gilded and Legacy of the Divine who both have good looking Devils.

I've always felt that the Devil card in the Bohemian Gothic was rather brilliant and powerful.

I agree, this one is quite disturbing.

Attachments

• db_DC-_XV_-_Cernunnos1.jpg
    db_DC-_XV_-_Cernunnos1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 273
  • Major15.jpg
    Major15.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 015hornedone525.jpg
    015hornedone525.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 15415.jpg
    15415.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 282

Alta

I am partial to the Thoth Devil myself. In fact when I interpret the Devil in any reading, the overtones of the Thoth image tend to creep in.

Rhinemaiden

Victorian Romantic.... for me, the devil is about temptation

Emily

The one that came straight to mind was the Morgan Greer one, I like it for its impact and simplicity.