The Tarot School Correspondence Course - Questions

Nickigirl

http://www.tarotschool.com/Course.html

Has anyone here taken this course?
Did it cover the vast magnitude of tarot learning that it indicates it does?
Did you do the degree or just buy the course materials?
Did the coaching make a big difference to you?
Does the material cover a lot of Golden Dawn info or just the Rider-Waite-Smith deck?
Did the material help you in your studies of other decks as well (particularly the Thoth)?
Is there a Thoth course if this magnitude?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm a life-long student and this looks really intriguing to me!!! I'd love to hear first hand accounts of your experiences!

Nicki

Nickigirl

Thanks, I did look at some past threads but was hoping to hear from someone taking the course. I read AT every day and have read a lot of books but I particularly liked the idea that this class went in depth into all kinds of symbology and correspondences in one place. And I like being a student and the structue of classes..

Nickigirl

Thanks for the links. I checked them out and they both look like they are aimed at learning to read intuitively. I want to learn the traditional, symbolic, mystical and historical info about tarot. Golden Dawn correspondences, stuff like that.

Zephyros

Thanks for the links. I checked them out and they both look like they are aimed at learning to read intuitively. I want to learn the traditional, symbolic, mystical and historical info about tarot. Golden Dawn correspondences, stuff like that.

Then I think the best way to learn those things is to immerse yourself in a GD deck. The Hermetic is nice, but the Thoth is a masterpiece. The RWS less so for studying GD practices, you want something more "meaty." :D I've been using it for several years now, but I've only recently begun to get into the symbolism in it, and it takes some reverse engineering, as in learning things like Qabala and alchemy not from the Tarot point of view, but from a general one, and then using that knowledge in Tarot. From what I read in the Tarot School link, although they teach very handy, useful techniques, they even say that they reach Qabala from a Tarot point of view, I don't think that that's a good way of learning, since it is somewhat limited.

In addition, what's your rush? :) Learning Tarot is a lifelong process, one that no course could ever to teach you all there is to know. After having read backgrounds on alchemy, Thelema and Qabala, I just take a card a day, and then try to learn in that day all there is to know about it, from DuQuette's book and the Book of Thoth. If there are symbols in that card (and there are... there always are :() I look them up. I then look up threads here that discuss it, there are so many intensive deck studies. Then I actually look at the card having learned all the "book learning", and think about what it means for me. That's the way that works for me, breaking it all up into small bits. A lesson plan of sorts, dictated by the deck itself :)

ETA: The Golden Dawn didn't invent Tarot, nor does it even present a unified dogma relating to it, there are several different viewpoints even within its ranks. Learning the GD methods are learning but one, or several, of so many. I understand your wanting to study from the "authorities" but in Tarot there really are none.

ann823

I find it more aimed at reading the images, which I don't consider intuitive.

Nickigirl

Well, I decided to buy the course material, without the one-on-one coaching. I can't wait to get into Lesson 1!

Alta

Please let us know how you get on with it. It seems that not many here have tried it.