Thoth card quality question

nisaba

gregory said:
It could also have been MOI - I point this out frequently.....
And you're far cuter than him, so I believe you!

Freddie

Hi,

So which is the better to buy in the 'Big Daddy' size (over 5 inches long)? The blue AGM with The Magician on the cover or the green US games with the two of Disks on the cover? I have seen both, but of course they look the same in the cello wrapper. I'm talking current new decks in shops here, not vintage please.

Looking at scans on the net, the US Games version looks more colourful, lighter hues and more subtle. We know of course how scans can be.....

Thanks,

Freddie

Freddie

Hi Gregory,

What you said is what it says on the Tarot Garden website. On their site the Agm scans look better lol..

Thanks for sharing this information.

Freddie

Le Fanu

I really think that in theory these decks - whether US Games green Box or AG Muller Blue Box - come from the very same factory. Both decks are shrink-wrapped by AG Muller and have the same AG Muller gold sticker seal. However, I have noticed that my US Games one is on slightly thicker cardstock and with noticably richer colours than any of the AG Muller ones I have (and I have a few).

But I think this is a question of print runs. I have two Vievilles and there is a slight colour discrepancy. Same with the three Liber Ts I have. This is why you should never buy back ups. You never find one with the exact same colour as the one you know & love!

Lillie

My point about the greenie was merely to show that a deck, printed by the same publisher and in the same place can differ over time.

I understand that this thread is about the later printings of the Thoth, my point was that if the early version could differ then so could the later.

Therefore it may not be a case of green box or blue box, but a matter of when they were printed.

That's all.

missy

Le Fanu said:
I really think that in theory these decks - whether US Games green Box or AG Muller Blue Box - come from the very same factory. Both decks are shrink-wrapped by AG Muller and have the same AG Muller gold sticker seal. However, I have noticed that my US Games one is on slightly thicker cardstock and with noticably richer colours than any of the AG Muller ones I have (and I have a few).

But I think this is a question of print runs. I have two Vievilles and there is a slight colour discrepancy. Same with the three Liber Ts I have. This is why you should never buy back ups. You never find one with the exact same colour as the one you know & love!

Le Fanu and Lillie, I hear what you are saying about print runs. I agree with both of you.

Nonetheless, Le Fanu, your comment about the noticeably richer colors of the US Games one is intriguing. Would you mind (not sure you have the ability to, since I myself don't have a scanner) posting a couple of scans?

It may still mean that the current green box and blue box are exactly alike, in both color and cardstock, but I am so curious now to see the richer colors you speak of. :)

ETA: If I can't see them, I can at least imagine them. :D

Maybe, like you said, the best advice is not to buy back-ups, so we have nothing for comparison! :D

kittiann

I recently bought a AGM deck (standard size), and the card stock feels amazing to me. The colors are very beautiful and bold as well. I don't have a US Games deck for comparison, but it might be one of those things where you couldn't tell the difference unless you have both decks in your hands.

Freddie

Thanks guys,
I bought a AGM in blue box called 'Deluxe' for a shocking low price. I think 'Deluxe' may refer to the size..I don't know. Maybe nobody wants the larger cards anymore.

Freddie

Le Fanu

missy said:
Nonetheless, Le Fanu, your comment about the noticeably richer colors of the US Games one is intriguing. Would you mind (not sure you have the ability to, since I myself don't have a scanner) posting a couple of scans?
I really don't think that it is the kind of difference which will be perceptible from scans. I can only really see it side by side and scans just don't pick up that kind of subtlety. The richest colours I have are from a 1986 German Blue Box A.... The blues on the Knight of Cups are beautiful... but I got that 2nd hand from a German amazon seller.

But it really is a question of print runs. The kind of thing it would be impossible to specify if buying, as the box wouldn't differentiate.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
I really don't think that it is the kind of difference which will be perceptible from scans. I can only really see it side by side and scans just don't pick up that kind of subtlety. The richest colours I have are from a 1986 German Blue Box A....
Mine too. And I have scanned it many times and on screen it looks just like all my others.

Deluxe is just one way they describe the size. Silly.