Tarot for Life: Reading the Cards for Everyday Guidance and Growth

BodhiSeed

Paul Quinn has a book coming out June 1: "Tarot for Life: Reading the Cards for Everyday Guidance and Growth". It looks like it could be a good one, especially for those of us who use tarot as a spiritual tool for guidance. If you scroll down in the link below, you can view some of the pages and chapters in the book. I enjoyed the stories he included too.
http://www.questbooks.net/title.cfm?bookid=2070

Gennai

Thanks for this post Bodhran. I loved the chapter on the Empress. Odd I came across your post today, the Empress kept on popping up for me yesterday! I liked his stories, too, but the other food for thought was the questions raised at the end of the chapter - I liked those. I think they are good. I use colours/affirmations as homework from cards, but the questions appeal to reason don't they, you know something tangible that you can think about and relate too.

BodhiSeed

Gennai said:
Thanks for this post Bodhran. I loved the chapter on the Empress. Odd I came across your post today, the Empress kept on popping up for me yesterday! I liked his stories, too, but the other food for thought was the questions raised at the end of the chapter - I liked those. I think they are good. I use colours/affirmations as homework from cards, but the questions appeal to reason don't they, you know something tangible that you can think about and relate too.
Yes! I forgot to mention the questions! I loved the chapter on the Empress too; didn't you like the story of the folks being stranded in the snow? I don't order books for myself much anymore, but I think this one is going on my list.

Yasmin

It's cold and rainy out today so I decided to scroll through older posts and I land on this one. What a great find! This book looks like a great tool for journaling, introspection and spiritual journeying.

weaver

Yasmin said:
This book looks like a great tool for journaling, introspection and spiritual journeying.
I agree, Yasmin! Now that this title has been available for a short while, I am hoping those of you who have "Tarot for Life" will share their thoughts here. (Asher, are you there?!)

While I am decidedly not looking for another Tarot recipe book, this title looks like it might be something altogether different. I'd love to hear what others think.

Thanks! :)

Mimers

I perused it at B&N the other day. I certainly didn't read enough to give reliable feedback, but what I did read was well written.

Like Weaver, I don't need another Tarot book, but I am very interested to see what others think of this book.

Yasmin

Sounds like "somebody" is going to have to buy this book and review it. It's my civic tarot duty! (Besides, I only have 4 tarot books) :)

Asher

weaver said:
Now that this title has been available for a short while, I am hoping those of you who have "Tarot for Life" will share their thoughts here. (Asher, are you there?!)... This title looks like it might be something altogether different. I'd love to hear what others think.

Hi weaver!

I'm here, and am just beginning to carefully read this book. I have skimmed parts of it, but had 2 other books to finish first. They are done, and I am ready to work through _Tarot for Life_. So far, I like the writing style, very down to earth and readable, and to the point.

After describing and talking about each card, Paul offers a real life example of how the card plays out...very interesting and helps bring the card meanings to life. Also included for each card are tables of attributes (meanings), categorized as (general) Keywords, Being (feelings & inner states), Doing (actions), Shadow, Reversed and meanings for Possible Advice Reversed. Following the tables are Questions for Reflection which are quite good and could be used in spreads as well.

A chapter on Reading the Cards concludes the book. It talks about reading for yourself, reading for others, asking the right question, and keeping it simple. This chapter also includes a variety of spreads, and a section on creating your own spreads. Four appendices are also included: Major Arcana (Soul Task, Shadow/Excess, Deficiency/Blockage), Number Meanings, Astrological & Planetary Correspondences, and Chakras.

A comprehensive and well-thought out book, one I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.

Asher

SherryZoned

Thanks for resurrecting this post I definitely missed it the first time around.

This seems like an interesting book. Spiritual/personal growth is a goal of mine this year. So far so good. This book could help keep me motivated.

weaver

Thanks for providing your insights, Asher! It sounds good. I am going to be at my local bookstore tomorrow and, after reading your positive review, plan to order Tarot for Life while I am there. :)

Along with Yasmin, I'll add my thoughts to yours (and hopefully others) once I have had the opportunity to spend time with it!