Golden Tarot

contrascarpe

If anybody has a Borders book store nearby, it may be worth a trip to see if they have a copy in their case. They are selling it for $20 (instead of the suggested retail of $25). I had read this in another thread (perhaps this one, can't remember) so I have been making a point of visiting any Borders I see in my travels as I wanted to get a backup. I finally found one in upstate NY this past week. It was definitely worth the $20 to get a backup - now I won't hesitate to use my main one for readings.

Dan

retrokat

The signed 2 of Cups and 8 of Wands finish on eBay tomorrow, are there any requests for what to sign & list next ? (about half the split-up deck's gone now, so there's a 50/50 chance your favourite's still available).

Jaelle

Hello! :) I just recently joined this wonderful forum and i thought i'd let Kat know how much i love her deck! I live in Italy and since i couldn't find the deck anywhere here i bought it through Amazon and i received it a few days ago! I was so excited!! The deck is absolutely gorgeous! I just can't put it down! When i had it in my hands for the first time it impressed me so much that when i went to sleep i had dreams about it all night long! I guess that tells how much i adore it! ;)

Congratulations Kat! You did an excellent work! :)

retrokat

Hi Jaelle,

Thanks for your kind words about my deck, and welcome to Aeclectic! Always so much to read here, and so many friendly people :D

I'm on the lookout for people who live near Golden Tarot's original sources so they can give some first-hand reports to help myself and others who want to plan (dream) about doing a Grand Golden Tour one day. Anything you can tell us about the sources near you, please do tell!

http://www.goldentarot.com/tour.htm

Namaste

I confess that I never really considered getting The Golden Tarot because my artistic tastes lean more towards the Baroque and towards non-traditional/modern/'new twist' decks.

Yet..., when I walked into my metaphysical bookstore, and the section where they keep the slew of decks, the Golden was just sitting there in all of its compact, but majestic beauty.

It called to me and I answered.

You know what? I took out the cards in the evening and used the 'Deck' spread I found here AT (great spread I might add).

The relationship will be marvelous, from what I can gather, further corraborated by the two of cups I drew yesterday afternoon, using my Ancestral Path deck, and then this morning using The Golden Tarot.

That alone clinched it for me. That I should have drawn the same card of harmony from two completely different decks on different days...!

(I don't believe in coincidence :) ).

So now, I'll have to fall in love with the Middle Ages and the Renaissance... when, just the other day, I wrote, here if I'm not mistaken in answer to someone's question, that I didn't really feel too attracted to the Golden.

Just goes to show, doesn't it... The voice within knows best.

Hope you will welcome me into the family... :)

P.S. Lady Kat, would you consider illustrating your next deck with art from the Baroque? :)

retrokat

*grin* Not terribly likely to do a Baroque tarot, I'm afraid. "It's all so Chocolate Box" as my art-teacher Grandmother used to say about French art of that era.

Actually some of the Renaissance stuff can be pretty sappy too, so that's probably unfair. Some of those putti (fat flying babies) are positively gagworthy. Like the ones in Raphael's Sistine Madonna:

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/r/raphael/5roma/2/03sisti.html

The other figures are gorgeous, but those little putti down the bottom are just bleargh. How many tacky gift sets, greeting cards etc have you seen their cute little faces on?

I could always avoid the sickly sweet stuff and just use the darker Baroque works. I'll check out the amount of potential content. I need several thousand images at least to get the diversity of content. Hence my next deck being High Renaissance - LOTS of pictures to use, such a prolific period.

BTW, I've just listed a couple more cards on eBay if anyone's interested. The Magician and the 5 of Coins (as it was recently covered in the Study Group thread).

Namaste

retrokat said:
*grin* Not terribly likely to do a Baroque tarot, I'm afraid. "It's all so Chocolate Box" as my art-teacher Grandmother used to say about French art of that era.

I agree with you, Kat, but I was thinking more along the lines of Caravaggio, the Utrecht Caravaggisti like Gerrit van Honthorst, and the Dutch Italianates like Jan Asselijn. :)

If you need thousands of images, then that would pose a problem.

How about some of the Romantics like Winterhalter, with some of Thomas Cole's beautiful landscapes? (This is one of my favourites www.abcgallery.com/C/cole/cole16.html. Or even some of the Orientalists' work?

I'm sorry. Here I go running my mouth off, when it's your work and your deck. Excuse a little wishful thinking on my part. :p

Your Golden tarot is creeping into my heart. There really is a very magical quality to these cards; one that has been revealing itself in beautifully subtle ways..., and..., what is more, it speaks the truth. Now that I have had more time to peruse the accompanying book, I find your insights wonderful. I love the way you have written about each card, and that you also add a little about card combinations. A perfect touch! :)

Bottom line... Whatever deck(s) you create, will be at the top of my wishlist from now on.

retrokat

LOL - I'm always happy to listen to suggestions. That's why I hang out here!

Ah yes, I definitely will be using those artists... My cut-off date at the moment for the next deck is probably about 1650, and as that includes much of the Northern Renaissance (Dutch, Flemish, German) as well as early Baroque, there will be a huge variety of material, including a LOT of non-religious works. I'm not a purist about Art periods - Golden straddles both International Gothic (Late Medieval) and Early Renaissance, but hopefully intergrated adequately into a reasonably consistent look.

I have to say though that much of Caravaggio's work, although amazing, kind of gives me the creeps. Some of it seems almost paedophilic. But he was an incredible technician. Hopefully I'll find some elements among his work that don't look too "come here, little boy..."

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/baroque.html
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/caravagg/index.html

SongDeva

finally!

Jeeee-sus GOD!

It is finally here!

It took so long, I swear I thought retrokat got my order, wrapped it in eucalyptus leaves, and hopped into a little canoe in a tiny river, nay, a stream, smack in the middle of the outback during the dry season, so that she had to wait for the rains for the stream to be wet enough to carry her canoe to a big river, and then to the sea, where she met rough weather as she paddled, paddled, paddled into Boston harbor, at which point she caught a commuter ferry, which capsized, forcing her to swim to shore with her precious package, which at least wasn't soaked due to the water-proof leaves, though they were a bit tattered after she fought off a few ravenous koalas while waiting for the rains, swam into shore, hitched a ride with a hot guy in a 63 Chevy convertible, ice blue, on hydraulics so it couldn't go any more than 35 miles an hour, even on the newly extended Mass Pike, drove all the way to Route 495, where he took exit 26 and (need I say) slowly cruised up to my house, which she then spent a few hours wondering about cause when she'd left home it was purple, but in the intervening years had been re-sided a sort of beige, knocked on the blessed door, and finally, Dear God, FINALLY delivered my Golden Tarot.

I didn't invite her in, though I promised to think about it after she promised to sign a strength card for me, took the deck straightaway out to the deck, heated up some water, filled a mug with mint green tea with ginseng, threw a burgundy towel down for contrast, unwrapped the deck, and perused it wondrously, whilst breaking out in hives from a hitherto unknown allergy to koala saliva.

I am far too tired to comment (benadryl makes me sleepy) but I'm *so* glad it's here!

*tucking the box under my chin with a sigh*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

contrascarpe

Wow, SongDeva - maybe you should take a valium with your tea, hehe.

Some of us waited a loooooong time for this beauty ..... in fact, I am still waiting for my signed copy of the Three of Wands .....