Best Travel-Friendly Deck Visuals

CharlotteK

Morgan Greer in a tin goes with me everywhere. It's my default travel deck. It's vibrant and cheerful, and easy to read. And it doesn't suffer from being pocket sized.

Carojulie

And non-tin: poker-sized Distant Past tarot. I love that deck so much. It's clear, feels nice in my hand, and the size is perfect. I made a snug little bag and carry it around quite a lot.

I have one of Jeri's Lenormands, forget she had this tarot deck! I want it!

Yes I second that deck, the Distant Past is really a little darling. I have two sizes : Pocker and large. The large size is SO beautiful. Very large cards, a little tough to shuffle, but the images on the large cards are so gratifying ! And, the pocker size is just exquisite, and you can still see the images really well. Like you Nemia, I made a snug little pouch for it (crochet in blue yarn with a nice silver button to jazz it up). It is the perfect size for travel, putting in the purse and all.

Yarnzipan, if you are after a colorful deck, this Distant Past deck is mostly blues with some greens. Mostly vibrant blues, deep sky blues, turquoise Caribean sea blue, and rich foliage green... not cold blue, rather very, very summery and exotic sea blue.

Morgan Greer in a tin goes with me everywhere. It's my default travel deck. It's vibrant and cheerful, and easy to read. And it doesn't suffer from being pocket sized.

I only have the standard size Morgan Greer, but I am seriously thinking of getting the tin version too, because, as you say, it is vibrant and cherfull, very colorful.And, being borderless, the fact that it is pocket size probably still leaves a lot of image space left.

I actually have the Centenniel RWS tinned! It's nice, but it again falls into that somewhat-pale color scheme. But I had no idea that there were so many options now! I'm super tempted on the Aquarian tarot since my Very First Deck was a New Pallidini but I'm not sure if it's a 'smaller' deck.

I was totally unaware of the Baba studio store and now that I know, what ever will I do? Or whatever will my wallet do?!

I have some choices to make now...

Yarnzipan, I have the Aquarian in a tin, and it is indeed a smaller size deck. It is the same size as the centennial : what I would call "pocket" size rather than "mini" size (the Aquarian and Centennial in a tin are still larger than my LoScarabeo Pagan Cats mini, which is REALLY too small to even shuffle correctly, let alone see anything without a magnifier)
I would advice this sort of "pocket" size as a good solution for travel. Not miniature, but still smaller than a traditional deck, and also the tin makes it easy to carry around.
But, IMO, the Aquarian is rather pale and uniform in color. If you are going for colorful, I think you might like the Morgan Green in a tin, or the Rosetta in a tin, more (the Rosetta in a tin is a little colorful jewel)

I am both glad (for you as a fellow tarot lover) and sorry (for your wallet) if I enabled you on Baba decks..... I am addicted myself. They are pricey, but SO beautiful and well made. A lot of though and talent and care goes into the making of these decks. The most beautiful decks in my collection are from Baba. My first real tarot deck was from Baba, and it is what ignited my love for tarot - it is what led me to study tarot seriously in the first place. Sorry if I opened the Pandora box for you !

Beanfeasa

Arcana tarot playing cards plus the tarot expansion pack to add in the majors, if you are in Europe from jpplayingcards.com or buy the full deck from dead on paper directly. They are bridge size. Btw it's an amazing deck, comes in black or white, expansion is only available in a double pack, black and white. Can't be got in either/or.

I think brut from uusi could be bridge size, again comes in both playing cards and a tarot deck so be careful. No expansion pack here

I think seven stars has added bridge sizes in a few decks.

If you want a TdM pip style deck, marshmallow Marseille, is super cute, bridge size, and us games is about to bring out a TdM style deck in a tin, Maria something something.

There's also a small ll Meneghello Soprafino available. It called minitarrocchi, to more a mini than a bridge size. Tarotbg stocks it.

Sorry I'm very unsure of some details here but it should point you in the right direction.

rylla

The mini size regular RW does it for me when I travel. It doesn't loose the detail because of the size (OR I am so familiar with it that I don't notice)

Yarnzipan

Yes I second that deck, the Distant Past is really a little darling. I have two sizes : Pocker and large. The large size is SO beautiful. Very large cards, a little tough to shuffle, but the images on the large cards are so gratifying ! And, the pocker size is just exquisite, and you can still see the images really well. Like you Nemia, I made a snug little pouch for it (crochet in blue yarn with a nice silver button to jazz it up). It is the perfect size for travel, putting in the purse and all.

Yarnzipan, if you are after a colorful deck, this Distant Past deck is mostly blues with some greens. Mostly vibrant blues, deep sky blues, turquoise Caribean sea blue, and rich foliage green... not cold blue, rather very, very summery and exotic sea blue.

But, IMO, the Aquarian is rather pale and uniform in color. If you are going for colorful, I think you might like the Morgan Green in a tin, or the Rosetta in a tin, more (the Rosetta in a tin is a little colorful jewel)

I am both glad (for you as a fellow tarot lover) and sorry (for your wallet) if I enabled you on Baba decks..... I am addicted myself. They are pricey, but SO beautiful and well made. A lot of though and talent and care goes into the making of these decks. The most beautiful decks in my collection are from Baba. My first real tarot deck was from Baba, and it is what ignited my love for tarot - it is what led me to study tarot seriously in the first place. Sorry if I opened the Pandora box for you !

The Distant Past Tarot is one of those decks that I've kept in my little folder on my computer for 'decks I want to buy' but finding out that there's a mini version makes it even more appealing. I love the colors (I do yarn and fiber stuff and I'm all about bright bold color) and it's definitely up there.

I'm lucky because most of the Baba is out of print right now.

And yeah, that's my other problem with the Aquarian. I wish the New Palladini (which has some GORGEOUS colorwork) was in a tiny tin.

Arcana tarot playing cards plus the tarot expansion pack to add in the majors, if you are in Europe from jpplayingcards.com or buy the full deck from dead on paper directly. They are bridge size. Btw it's an amazing deck, comes in black or white, expansion is only available in a double pack, black and white. Can't be got in either/or.

I think brut from uusi could be bridge size, again comes in both playing cards and a tarot deck so be careful. No expansion pack here

I think seven stars has added bridge sizes in a few decks.

If you want a TdM pip style deck, marshmallow Marseille, is super cute, bridge size, and us games is about to bring out a TdM style deck in a tin, Maria something something.

There's also a small ll Meneghello Soprafino available. It called minitarrocchi, to more a mini than a bridge size. Tarotbg stocks it.

Sorry I'm very unsure of some details here but it should point you in the right direction.

...whelp, you've just shown me like three new things I want. The Arcana and a couple on the Uusi were absolutely gorgeous and they're definitely in the running. I've never done much with a Marseille before so while I may pick that up, it's probably not going to be the travel deck, but the suggestion was still really cute!

Penthasilia

Just received the light arcana tarot deck today and will have to second that- it is amazing, the box is great for travel and the illustrations are amazing- this will be my travel deck for upcoming trips.

I don't know about anyone else- but I had an issue with the USG tins flipping open sometimes in my purse when I was bustling around- so I don't take them with me anymore and actually gifted a lot of them as I like bigger decks if they have to stay at home anyway.

Elkins

Chiming in here as yet another person with the Morgan Greer Inna Tin living in their bag. Its big boldly-colored shapes scale down really well.

My USG tin seems pretty tight, but I keep an elastic band wrapped around it anyway, just in case.

Beancrew49

For me, number 1 hands down is the Llewellyn Tarot, trimmed. It has some of the most beautiful artwork in a tarot deck I've seen, but the borders are huge. When you trim it down it turns into a gorgeous travel sized deck where the quality of the artwork is not sacrificed.

Yarnzipan

Just received the light arcana tarot deck today and will have to second that- it is amazing, the box is great for travel and the illustrations are amazing- this will be my travel deck for upcoming trips.

I don't know about anyone else- but I had an issue with the USG tins flipping open sometimes in my purse when I was bustling around- so I don't take them with me anymore and actually gifted a lot of them as I like bigger decks if they have to stay at home anyway.

I keep wobbling on it because I'm usually twitchy about un-illustrated pips (see why I keep going back and forth on the Amano) but the major and the court are just so gorgeous; they're definitely on the list

For me, number 1 hands down is the Llewellyn Tarot, trimmed. It has some of the most beautiful artwork in a tarot deck I've seen, but the borders are huge. When you trim it down it turns into a gorgeous travel sized deck where the quality of the artwork is not sacrificed.

I love those images and I really want to grab that deck, though I'll admit, 'm kind of terrified of trimming down a deck and mucking it up. It's definitely something to think on, though, because it's just so pretty.

-

Another mini that I noticed was the Tarot of Mermaids and I was considering it; anyone have it or the mini and have an opinion?

Carojulie

I have always been a little anxious about the tin flipping open and spilling cards everwhere, so I have always kept the tin in a small pouch (nothing fancy, just a small simpe cotton sleeve that would not be enough to protect the cards if there was not the tin, but at least it keeps the tin closed)
Your post tells me that I have been right to be anxious !! I am sorry for the mishap and hope that your cards did not get damaged. But, if you want to consider the tins again, when they are secured in one way or other (elastic band or, in my case, little pouch), they do protect the cards better than a simple drawstring pouch in the hand-bag, from my experience. I hope you reconcile with tinned decks but I understand the disapointment.

Oh this one has been on my wishlist for sucha long time ! The images seem so beautiful on the net ! the colors and general impression is gives me are soft, "spring-time like" "ostara like", if that makes sense. I am pretty sure it would be a favourite amongst sitters (I like to give a selection of decks to choose from when I read for someone else - though I do not read professionaly (yet !) but only for friends. And I have seen this deck trimmed too, it looks very nice. Still on my wishlist, so maybe one day....

I love those images and I really want to grab that deck, though I'll admit, 'm kind of terrified of trimming down a deck and mucking it up. It's definitely something to think on, though, because it's just so pretty.

-

Another mini that I noticed was the Tarot of Mermaids and I was considering it; anyone have it or the mini and have an opinion?

Trimming is not as tough as it sounds. I have trimmed many decks now, and I never butchered a deck (actually I have found that edging is more dangerous than trimming !). My trimmed decks look very neat, and my sitters are always surprised when I tell them a deck is trimmed, because it does not show.
All you need is a steady hand, quiet time and space, patience, a good corner trimmer (mine is Kadomaru, found on Amazon) and good scissors in good condition (not a pair of scissors that has been used in the kitchen to open a can of soup or any heavy duty that puts strain on the blades or on the litte screw.) IMO scissors give a much better and more precise result than paper-cutter-boards (trimmer boards or massicots, sorry for my english here). I recommand Nogent scissors, Fiskars scissors and Victorinox scissors, in order of preference, for any trimming job. Long blades are better as they enable you to do the side of a card in only one or two go only. Do not let anyone use your trimming scissors for anything, you never know what hard electrical cable people will want to use your scissors on, and chip your blade. My scissors I keep in a little SAFE, along with my twizzer and my nail trimmer and nail file, so none of my kids or husband can access them and steal them.
You'll find many other precious info on the specific threads here on AT, and on Youtube. I encourage everyone to try trimming, it's addictive and it's a real pleasure !
:)

ETA I never heard of the mini Mermaid, but if someone has, I am curious !