Baphomet: Tarot of the Underworld - by Akron and H. R. Giger

Pollux

Aeclectican european fellows (and not only them) might be pleased to know that in ALIDA-STORE database today I spotted the above deck added. The price is obviously above average.
http://www.alidastore.com/ag048.html

I have tried to search on AGMuller site but oddly found nothing.

Good hunting!!!

(*if he had the money he would get the Giger at once*)

SherryZoned

Which one is it? I do not read other languages!!! (did you get my pm about the marshmallows?)

LaLaBella

I love the Giger, but the artwork is a little too disturbing for my family. They are ready to attempt a divine intervention on me! It's a shame too because that deck can show you things about yourself that you would normally try to suppress. Really an outstanding deck if you have an objective mind.

Jeannette

The AGMueller edition of the Giger Tarot, known as Baphomet: Tarot of the Underworld, is OOP. The current edition, which sells for about 15 US$ through the major book chains, is currently published by a company called Taschen America and is officially titled The H.R. Giger Tarot.

The AGMueller edition originally sold for about 40 US$. The cards were very large, and had silver-gilt edges. Later editions of the AGMueller Baphomet actually included a music CD produced by the group Epilepsy. I haven't seen the cards from the Taschen America edition with my own eyes, so I don't know if they retained the size and/or the silver gilding, but I've seen no indication that it includes the CD.

So, when comparing the price on the AGMueller Baphomet to the Taschen Giger set, realize that it's a bit of apples-and-oranges thing. It's best to keep in mind that the AGMueller set is an original edition, now OOP, and possibly with extra "features," while the Taschen set represents a later edition, currently in-print, with potentially fewer "features."

-- Jeannette
http://www.tarotgarden.com

Pollux

Jeanette: the deck is included in the page of AGMuller decks, has the "RARE" ribbon, and is sold for €41.32 ($40.05). I will e-mail them and enquire about the "extra" features.

RedWood: there's an english version of the site. Just click on the small english flag on the header (yes I did, I am thinking about it ;))

Jeannette

Pollux: Keep in mind that when I refer to "extra" features, I'm talking about two things:

1) The silver-gilt edging. If the current edition has this edging (which, at a 15 US$ price, I would tend to doubt, but I can't say for certain because I haven't seen the current edition), then the AGM edition wouldn't be "special" in this regard.

2) The Epilepsy music CD. The earliest edition of the AGM version did not include the CD. The first edition was packaged in a silver/gray box. The later edition, which included the CD, was packaged in an aqua/blue-green box. In any case, keep in mind that just because you may be purchasing the AGM edition, it does not necessarily mean you're getting the CD. Which isn't necessarily a problem -- just make sure that you aren't expecting to get it for the price you're paying unless you've confirmed that the CD is included.

First editions that come from different publishers than later editions, or that have substantial differences in printing, packaging, etc., are always more valuable on the collector's market than later editions. However, the existence of later editions almost always does bring down the overall value of early editions, even if not to the level of the later editions themselves.

Again, 40 US$ was the original price of the non-CD edition that was distributed in the U.S.

Hope this helps.

-- Jeannette

catlin

Guess what I had Friday in my hands?! The Giger deck. I suppose it was the Taschen edition but without CD. There seems to be some silver on the deck but I think it is no foil but just normal silver colouring.

I am very satisfied with myself that I had tucked one copy aside although I am not so fond of Giger Art but for OOP decks I am even adding such a gruesome into my collection.

Pollux

Catlin Congrats!!!

Jeanette: I sent my e-mail, mentioning specifically both features. I'm waiting for a reply... But I really think I CANNOT BUY THIS DECK (trying self-persuasion... *LOL*)

catlin

The best thing is that it was around 15 € but I think I'll get it cheaper as a special customer (as it was in the shop I do my readings in).

B/W Pollux, when I did some browsing last week, I found several decks which are hard to find or even OOP. I am still expecting the answers from the book shops if they are still available. If so, my collection will have some more precious decks.

The Taschen cards are still pretty large and there seems to be a kind of poster or spread sheet included.

Jeannette

catlin said:
Guess what I had Friday in my hands?! The Giger deck. I suppose it was the Taschen edition but without CD.
As far as I can tell, the Taschen edition has never been distributed with the CD.
There seems to be some silver on the deck but I think it is no foil but just normal silver colouring.
The silver I'm referring to is not silver foil (like gold foil on the Nefertari deck or anything like that), but silver-gilding on the very side edges of the card, like the gold-gilt edges on the Dali deck.

-- Jeannette