List of Thoth books

BlueRoamer

Please list your favorite Thoth books in order of most to least useful...

So far I only have The book of Thoth, and Tarot: Mirror for the soul.

I find the Book of Thoth to be fascinating, brilliant, genius, but I must admit I don't know what he's talking about half the time.

Mirror for the soul is good but the interpretations are a bit flim flam and limited....

1.Book of Thoth
2.Mirror for the Soul

Amon

For the Thoth deck you only need two books. Crowleys Book of Thoth. And Duquettes "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" to understand the first book... Actually Duquettes take is very useful for all tarotists interested in the connections between the tarot and kabbalah and astrology.

good luck!

gregory

I can't stand Ziegler (Mirror for the Soul). :eek:

On the whole I agree with Amon. But there are some others I would seriously consider worth reading.

So all, in order:

Crowley: The Book of Thoth
Lon Milo Duquette: Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot
Michael Osiris Snuffin: The Thoth Companion
James Wanless: New Age Tarot
Hazo Banzhaf and Akron: The Crowley Tarot

Nina*

Amon said:
For the Thoth deck you only need two books. Crowleys Book of Thoth. And Duquettes "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" to understand the first book... Actually Duquettes take is very useful for all tarotists interested in the connections between the tarot and kabbalah and astrology.

good luck!
I completely agree.
AND Banzhaf's/Akron's

I definitely don't like James Wanless' though - too new agery to me.

gregory

OK Nina - but what about Snuffin ?

Nina*

I don't know about Snuffin, as I don't own it yet.

I have read a lot of good reviews from it, so I am going to get it though! :)

gregory

It looks very good to me, though I have only dipped so far.....

Nina*

gregory said:
It looks very good to me, though I have only dipped so far.....
Hey hey hey...... don't push here!!!! I'm BROKE!!!

ZenMusic

Primary, in order:

*** Crowley: The Book of Thoth
*** The Qabalistic Tarot: A Textbook of Mystical Philosophy, by Robert Wang
*Duquette: Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot
*Michael Osiris Snuffin: The Thoth Companion
*Hazo Banzhaf and Akron: The Crowley Tarot

For other attributions/symbols

The Living I Ching: Using Ancient Chinese Wisdom to Shape Your Life: Books: Ming-dao Deng by Ming-dao Deng.

The Emerald Tablet: Alchemy of Personal Transformation by Dennis William Hauck

Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites & Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order by Israel Regardie

The Law Is For All: The Authorized Popular Commentary of Liber Al Vel Legis Sub Figura CCXX, the Book of the Law by Aleister Crowley "The study of this Book is forbidden. It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading. Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril."

Amon

I haven't read the Akron and the Snuffin books yet. What insights do they bring that isn't readily available in the Crowley and Duquette books? (I have to stop buying every book I hear about - collecting tarots turned out to be a a very expensive habit).