The Book of The Law Study Group 3.23

Grigori

Funny looking at this, I realise I have no idea what "meal" is. Turns out its the edible parts of grain which has been ground to powder, or any ground substance. So I guess its basically some sort of flour.

Mixed with honey.. OK sounds nice...

LEavings of red wine... Seem there is some controversy as to what a "leaving" is. Some read this as an amount/volume, others suggest its the lumpy dregs or some sort of by product from wine production. OK, honey, wine, grain, sounds like sweets so far...

Oil of Abramelin, a bit of cinnamon goodness, nice. More olive oil to smooth it, ok, making a paste. Then we add blood... OK less eager to eat it now, but whatever.

I guess this is a recipe for an incense more so than a perfume, at least as I understand the terms.

Crowley's abramelin recipe is
8 parts Cinnamon essential oil
4 parts Myrrh essential oil
2 parts Galangal essential oil
7 parts Olive oil

I was reading Leitch recently and very amused to discover that the galangal part of this Old Testament recipe is a mistranslation and Cannabis was intended. That cloud of smoke handing around Moses before his visions was probably something a bit different than what your typical Sunday School teacher expouses LOL

So this is the start of a BOL recipe for Cinnamon, Myrrh and Hash cookies?

Always Wondering

This verse was brought up in the Chapter 1:59 study.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=124036

59. My incense is of resinous woods & gums; and there is no blood therein: because of my hair the trees of Eternity.

But now we are told to smooth down with blood.

Aeon418 said:
If you take a look at 3:23-24 you'll notice the recipe for the cakes of light is also the perfume of Ra-Hoor-Khuit. As such the cakes represent the Child of Nuit and Hadit.

So perhaps we are talking about perfume rather than incense.
But I don't get the perfume angle much either. I can grasp that perhaps this is talking about the mortal part of myself. . . Vaguely. :laugh: It does have the feel of some of Crowleys holy texts so I suspect there are some Qabalistic gems in here.

Grigori said:
I was reading Leitch recently and very amused to discover that the galangal part of this Old Testament recipe is a mistranslation and Cannabis was intended. That cloud of smoke handing around Moses before his visions was probably something a bit different than what your typical Sunday School teacher expouses LOL

For sure. :laugh: I love stuff like this.

AW

ravenest

Grigori said:
Then we add blood... OK less eager to eat it now, but whatever.

Good! Dont eat it!

Its a perfume. The eating bit comes later when a cake is made, and if you do this dont forget to pay attention to 3.25. first two words.

Aeon418

ravenest said:
The eating bit comes later when a cake is made, and if you do this dont forget to pay attention to 3.25. first two words.
Burning the ingredients and making cakes mixed with ash is only one interpretation. Personally I don't see the point. It would probably be just as efficacious to flick some cigarette ash into the mixing bowl. :smoker:

My personal take is that verses 23 - 24 are an ingredient list. The first two words of verse 25 are an instruction for the perfume created from them. The rest of verse 25 is a secondary usage of the same ingredients. You can make cakes out it.

But what is the point of having blood in the mix?

Blood = Life = Prana = Vitality, etc.

Ash = What?

Always Wondering

But what does perfume have to do with anything?
I don't get it.

AW

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Burning the ingredients and making cakes mixed with ash is only one interpretation. Personally I don't see the point.

Depends on who's or what type of blood your using and what you are going to do with the cake.

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Depends on who's or what type of blood your using and what you are going to do with the cake.
Like serve them as a host during a public performance of the Mass?

The "ash" interpretation was dreamed up several decades ago by a panicky OTO that was scared of being sued.
Aleister Crowley said:
Those of the PEOPLE who intend to communicate, and none other should be present, having signified their intention, a whole Cake of Light, and a whole goblet of wine, have been prepared for each one.

panpiper

Always Wondering said:
But what does perfume have to do with anything?
I don't get it.

AW

perfume = incense

These terms used to be interchangeable.