The Book of The Law Study Group 3.27

Grigori

OK, I have to start by saying... It is not my will to eat bugs. Even if they will make me lusty powerful! Sounds like something you would see on a bottle of Chinese herbs :laugh:

Interesting the phrase "power of lust", I had to reread it as "lust of power" is a more common expression. I wonder how "lust" and "power of lust" are different to each other as this verse implies.

Aeon418

OK, I have to start by saying... It is not my will to eat bugs. Even if they will make me lusty powerful! Sounds like something you would see on a bottle of Chinese herbs :laugh:
I'm still convinced the beetle symbolism is pointing to something else.
Interesting the phrase "power of lust", I had to reread it as "lust of power" is a more common expression. I wonder how "lust" and "power of lust" are different to each other as this verse implies.
I'm instantly thinking Atu XI Lust here. (Especially since Atu XVI is indirectly mentioned in the next verse.)

Ordinarily when we see the word Lust we think only of sexual lust. But this is just one avenue of expression for the vitalising Life force that runs through everything. Magical and Yogic practices raise this Serpent Power and direct to towards other ends.

The difference between lust and the power of lust may be like the relationship between a noun and a verb.

ravenest

Well ... they can be pretty good for you. ;).

I see one interpretation of the power of lust as that force that enables one to tirelessly work on something ... when one is 'enflammed', working with direct inspiration, full concentration, no other internal distractions, direct unswerving focus. Like when one works all night on a project without realising it ... until, 'What's that strange light outside? Oh ... its the sun coming up.' One might not need food in this state, nor feel hunger, nor even pain.

Normally one doesnt function like this unless something is triggered; survival or parential instinct, 'lust', creative inspiration, focused will, etc.

Lust is the 'current' power of lust is the energy field put out by that current... perhaps?

Grigori

I have a large print of a Lust card framed and on my wall at the moment. http://sarahmagdalene.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/lust-for-life/ I think her work is stunning, but also found this card in particular very challenging as it confronts my understanding of what the Lust card means. And it was deeply disturbing me at first to see such a very Christian looking lion on the Lust trump. Which turned out to be good for me and so I had to have the card.

Lust is the 'current' power of lust is the energy field put out by that current... perhaps?

I like that. One is the "hammer" the other is to "hammer". No puns intended. Substance and action, yin and yang really.

Aeon418

I think Crowley's re-naming of the Strength card is another New Aeon nuance. The old meanings of Strength are still present in the new design, but there is an added twist that is amplified by the new name, Lust.

In the old card there is a woman closing the jaws of a lion. She is controling and redirecting the raw animal potency, symbolised by the lion, and sublimating and transforming that force into another form. (Hence the lemniscate above her head.) In essence it's a symbol of the willed redirection of sexual energy for the purposes of spiritual development. But in the old Aeon conception of the card it is a one way journey. The lower manifestation of this energy was thought to be fallen, and must therefore be raised up to a higher more spiritual level. (Sex energy and "spirit" are different manifestations of one force.)

It was Crowley's belief that the New Aeon heralded the full activation of the Path of Teth for humanity. This required a bit of a re-design of the card, and the name of the card needed to be tinkered with to express this new understanding. As we all know Crowley chose the word, Lust. His reasoning was that the word Lust implied Strength, but also the joy of Strength exercised. The old meaning of the card is still present, but now there is an added dimension. Lust & power of Lust (exercised). Choose ye well!
26. I am the secret Serpent coiled about to spring: in my coiling there is joy. If I lift up my head, I and my Nuit are one. If I droop down mine head, and shoot forth venom, then is rapture of the earth, and I and the earth are one.
I think it is interesting that Atu XVI is mentioned in the next verse because it is intimately linked with Atu XI. If Atu XI is the causal force, then Atu XVI is the place where that force manifests.

Yygdrasilian

Hilaria

III : 3³
Ceaselessly, the Force of transformation “rolls” our Sun across a threshold - the “Mouth” of She Who Protects and shepherds Ra’s journey through his Realm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khepri

♌
This riddle of Lust is an infinite power: Bride to the Beast of our burdens through Time.
‘Mother of Gods’ and korybantes, it is she who hid the Stone ☞⧉