under the emperor's throne...

arya ishtar

anyone know why the shadow under the emperor's throne is a crescent shape? the chair doesn't seem to be that shape...

Abrac

Are you talking about the base of the throne? It curves back and there's a space underneath creating the crescent effect.

Marlo

And it seems the light comes from before the Emperor, from up to down the card. That would explain such a shadow.

arya ishtar

i don't think so. if you'll notice, the throne is square: flat back, flat sides, flat and squared seat. and if it was just a shadow, it would either be in the shape of the seat, or in the shape of the emperor. no, this was something purposefully done...

Marlo

To be honest, i can't think of anything else. I would say it was an easy attempt to fill this part of the card, but i doubt it.

arya ishtar

yeah, pixie didn't do much just to fill space. if there is something weird, i'd bet dollars to doughnuts it was on purpose, but can't figure out why. did a google search, an AT search, haven't run across the answer in any books... *sigh*

Siochanai

Where does the light come from top left or top right? I don't have my cards to look at to see.

arya ishtar

don't really see where the light is coming from. there are no other shadows. nothing under his feet or legs, nothing under his arms. just a crescent shadow with nothing to cast a crescent shadow. maddening...

Siochanai

After looking at it I am not too sure. In my deck I can't see light very well but that shadow under the chair is indeed odd. Like you said it does appear as if the throne is made in a box like fashion. I do have a few thoughts on this shadow though. First it could just be a visual effect used if you look at it; it can make the base of the throne appear to be of a contour design. Secondly it could be a shadow put there intentionally to represent the moon for some reason or another. Lastly if you look at the emperors cloak he is wearing over his armor it drapes off his knees in a crescent like flow. If the sun light is hitting him in the face it may make the shadow under the throne appear as if it is a crescent.

MagsStardustBlack

I think it looks like the shape of the chair as in the seat part will also be curved or moulded behind him to fit the curve of the body. I think the intention was to create 3d effect and illusion of depth. However the lower part of his garment gathers around his ankle in crescent facing the opposite way.