Was Waddington only connected to the Blue Box?

tcutter

After much research, I can only find Waddington mentioned in reference to the UK versions released in the Blue box.

Was there ever a short run printing here in the US of Yellow boxed cover Magician decks from the 70's (or 60's) that referred to Waddington?

I'm trying to date the Rider-Waite deck my mother gave me and all signs point to it being a deck from the early 70's. I've since lost the box and the LWB... but I am 99% sure I recall seeing the word Waddington on the box... however, as mentioned above, this was a yellow box with the magician cover.

Am I wrong? Was Waddington only mentioned on the Blue Boxes or is my memory correct about seeing it on a yellow box?

Thanks

tcutter

Perhaps a little more information would be helpful. Also, apologies if this was posted in the wrong section.

I'm fairly certain my cards were the from the first edition printing in 1971. They have no copyrights printed on the cards, which would put them pre-1975. My mother "gave" them to me when I was around 12 years old (circa 1982) and somebody else gave the deck to her. How long this person had them is unknown. (and I put gave in quotes because in all honestly, I claimed them since she rarely used the deck)

That being said, I'm curious if the word Waddington ever showed up on the early Yellow boxes of decks in the 70's.

rwcarter

The only names I've seen on early yellow box RWS are Samuel Weiser and US Games. The only time I've seen Waddington is on the blue box. That doesn't mean that there wasn't a yellow box version with Waddington on it. If there were, the folks who frequent this forum would definitely know.

Abrac

I've never seen a yellow box by Waddington and never heard of it either. Could it have been Weiser? They both start with "W." If it's a Weiser it's from the early to mid '70s.

tcutter

I've never seen a yellow box by Waddington and never heard of it either. Could it have been Weiser? They both start with "W." If it's a Weiser it's from the early to mid '70s.

It very well could have been Weiser. The box became very ragged over the years and I finally lost it in the 90's. The memory of "Waddington" is twenty years old and I might just be blending here. Could have sworn it was Waddington though.

I dearly wish I would have kept the box or at least the LWB, but I am thankful that I've maintained the deck over 30 years! I'm amazed that it wasn't lost or destroyed during my "wild" pre-teen & teen years! lol :)

Then again, maybe not so surprising. I had a subconscious awareness of the importance, I believe and that led me to protecting the deck. To this day, the cards show little wear or dirt... except for a few Major Arcanas that show candle wax dripped on them at some point in the past. :)

Edited: Update

I just came across another piece of the puzzle when reading about the Gift sets that were sold along with the 3 books from Signet. I'm fairly certain my deck came in a gift set because this deck came along with 2 of the 3 books sold... LOL... my mother must have hidden the "Sex Tarot" book from the 12 year old curious me.... heheheh

rwcarter

Edited: Update

I just came across another piece of the puzzle when reading about the Gift sets that were sold along with the 3 books from Signet. I'm fairly certain my deck came in a gift set because this deck came along with 2 of the 3 books sold... LOL... my mother must have hidden the "Sex Tarot" book from the 12 year old curious me.... heheheh

That probably wasn't Waddington then. Far as I know, those were all US Games, although I don't have a first edition of it to see whether it was Weiser or USG in the box. All the copies I have are USG boxes.