5 of Pentacles - the bell

tarotbear

This has been addressed elsewhere (but everyone does not read 'elsewhere') but I have always thought the five pentacles were placed on The Tree of Life, not a candleabra, as someone mentioned.

It may be 'traditional' to see it as a church, but prominent buildings and large homes have stained glass windows, too! They could have been turned away from the rich man's dinner party (there's a Biblical nuance in there, I think) or have been refused financial help because there is none to be given. The point is that the window is usually glowing indicating that inside is light and warmth and on the outside our poor travelers are neither.

Good Lord! Will this card pop up if we were to do readings for the 'Katrina survivors?' ***shudders at the realily of the statement***

tarobones

viewpoints

Umbrae wrote: Let’s back up the cart here. For starters, we do not know if the couple shown is headed to the church door. Perhaps they are arriving. Perhaps they are leaving. We only get a snapshot here, and we don’t get blueprints for the church…(“no door” ROFL…what a pompus idiot….)."
Seems both viewpoints are possible, and neither is right or wrong. Personally, I'd go with Rachel on this one, who is neither pompous, nor an idiot, it seems to me. But that's just me.................Michael

Sophie

I would guess a leprosy bell, because of the bandages and the literature & iconography associated with lepers & bells. But it could be a war veteran with a begging bell.

Why is everyone saying it's a church? All we see is a wall and a stained glass window. Anyone who has visited London knows there are stained glass windows on Gothic Revival buildings all over the place - even loos have them! Since Pixie Colman-Smith was working in London, we can't assume a church - only a building with a stained glass window.

Having said that, we are free - as is Rachel Pollack - to thread our imaginations round this image. It is very evocative. I don't believe in censoring the intuitive imagination in reading, anymore than I think we should take Rachel Pollack's word as gospel (I assume she'd be horrified by that - it is her wonderful method that we should be emulating - her free-wheeling, inquisitive approach of the cards, using myth, kabbalah, daily experience and imagination - which does give her insights I cherish, but am not chained to. They are her insights).

tarobones

Rachel

Thanks, Helvetica, for your words about Rachel Pollack. I agree 100%, she would be horrified if we took her words as gospel, but she has taught me a wonderful, freeing, creative approach to the tarot you so aptly describe. Her method is where her wisdom lies. What a treasure. BB, Michael

RChMI

Church

It should be borne in mind that in the idea of "Church" as relates to the card, that one might be better served if they view the word "Church" in context not of organized religion, but of individual spirituality... The body being the Temple of the Soul.... The Church of Inner Light within... The Spark of The Divine that connects All to One and One to All, etc....

Sophie

Church...or St Pancras Station?

Oh, it's perfectly possible to see a church, in all its symbolic spiritual dimension, as you say, RChMI - but it's also possible to see St Pancras Station or a private house, in all their symbolic dimensions (I have a friend who swears St Pancras is very spiritual - so we can get back to the "church" that way). It's actually a wonderful card for free interpretation. Who are these people? What is their relationship? (are they strangers, friends, is the cripple following the woman and begging or are they walking together? is she a prostitute, a mother, old, young?) What is the building? How much or how little spirituality can we attach to this card? The answer will be different depending on our imagination, experience, use of Kabbalah, numerology, spirituality, etc. Not to mention the querent's question! (if the querent is asking you for the outcome of his investment, you'lll probably not bring in a spiritual dimension...you'll suggest he try another investment!)

All that from the bare image of two people, one presumably a woman, walking in front of another, a cripple leaning on braces - presumably a man, in the snow, passing a stained glass window showing 5 pentacles, foliage & 2 roses.

Michael - I agree with you about Rachel Pollack. She is a treasure!

Kiata

5 Pentacles - Bell around his neck

Hi all. Great post!! Sadly an old and seemingly dead one. Nevertheless, really enjoyed every single post and insights of each person!! Here are my thoughts and takes on this card...

In medieval times, people would be forced to wear bells because they committed a crime, such as rape, murder, robbery, or even the ones married and carried on an adulterous affair. "Criminals" had to wear the bell to warn others when they were in close proximity.

I always think of my cat when I see this card : ) she is after her prey, but the little bell around her neck warns the birds and mice.

There is possibility of an extreme side to the card, which no other tarot card seems to express so strongly. Depending on other cards, the predicament the person for whom this card comes up, is self inflicted.
The five can be seen as a subsequent result of the 4 of pentacles.

Here the word "Prey" described in the dictionary to open the mind for some ideas on what may have happened in the 4 of pentacles:

prey (pr)
n.
1. An animal hunted or caught for food; quarry.
2. One that is defenseless, especially in the face of attack; a victim.
3. The act or practice of preying.
intr.v. preyed, prey·ing, preys
1. To hunt, catch, or eat as prey: Owls prey on mice.
2. To victimize or make a profit at someone else's expense.
3. To plunder or pillage.
4. To exert a baneful or injurious effect: Remorse preyed on his mind.
n
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Zoology) an animal hunted or captured by another for food
2. a person or thing that becomes the victim of a hostile person, influence, etc.
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Animals)
bird or beast of prey a bird or animal that preys on others for food
4. an archaic word for booty
vb (intr; often foll by on or upon)
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Zoology) to hunt or seize food by killing other animals
2. to make a victim (of others), as by profiting at their expense
3. to exert a depressing or obsessive effect (on the mind, spirits, etc.); weigh heavily (upon)

The women without the bell is to represent the "innocent" social outcast, a have not
those with flaws ( Mendicants). she is not in thid situation because of her own doing, she is a victim? This card often brings the victim and perpetrator dynamic to mind.

I can also see why some see love in this card, does she believe in his innocence and stands by him ?

This card has numerous stories depicted and the details have to come from the surrounding cards, I believe.

Kiata

ctd. bell around neck - to warn the prey

Here are some more Thesaurus Lines that are worth a second pondering:

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

prey - a person who is the aim of an attack (especially a victim of ridicule or exploitation) by some hostile person or influence; "he fell prey to muggers"; "everyone was fair game"; "the target of a manhunt"

prey - profit from in an exploitatory manner; "He feeds on her insecurity"

Rosanne

There is no Sanctury for those with contagious disease.
I imagine this couple have been turned away from any sort of congregation- especially a Church.
As "leprosy" grew more prevalent during the Middle Ages, the status of lepers changed. Far from being pitied, lepers became increasingly more reviled by the populace. The vocabulary linking sin with leprosy increased in frequency. This idea may have been most aided by the expanding power of the church. The church rhetoric of equating uncleanliness with sin was used by all levels of the population. This association led to the equivalence between lepers, sin and punishment.
Leprosy History Wikipedia.
Historically Christians were far more severe on Leprosy, than say, Islamic religions, especially for the last 600 years. Even now, with treatment, Lepers are unable to get jobs, which only increases their isolation and their material poverty.
The man with supposed Leprosy is looking directly at the viewer as if to remind one that, once again he is been treated without compassion or generosity, thence to the next card which shows the corect way to act- with Justice.
~Rosanne

Richard

This has been addressed elsewhere (but everyone does not read 'elsewhere') but I have always thought the five pentacles were placed on The Tree of Life, not a candleabra, as someone mentioned.

It may be 'traditional' to see it as a church, but prominent buildings and large homes have stained glass windows, too! They could have been turned away from the rich man's dinner party (there's a Biblical nuance in there, I think) or have been refused financial help because there is none to be given. The point is that the window is usually glowing indicating that inside is light and warmth and on the outside our poor travelers are neither.

Good Lord! Will this card pop up if we were to do readings for the 'Katrina survivors?' ***shudders at the realily of the statement***
I recall a private home in Bowling Green KY which had all stained glass windows. Weird house in a weird town.

On the Tree of Life the fives are at Strength, which is sort of an aggressive position on the feminine (passive) pillar of the Tree. The fives are not particularly stable, but happily five evolves into six (via Justice), smack dab on the pillar of balance, at Beauty.