Thoth Prince of Swords

ravenest

thorhammer said:
So this passage is about bringing your gunas (feeling, thought and ecstasy??) into line with one's will, rather than having them orbiting further out where their gravity could be exaggerated? Like those ice-skaters, when they spin really really fast with their limbs close in, but slow down when they move their legs or arms out further from their bodies?

\m/ Kat
In a way. I see it more like, when you are attached to your feelings, or thoughts or EVEN ecstacy, to the detriment of the other parts, then you are out in orbit, away from, but orbiting around your true inner nature. The closer one gets to the centre ... or the axle of the wheel, the more stable you become until you are not revolving but rotating ... like a Sufi dancer (or an ice skater).

I think it is better to compare this card with the Knight of Swords. In the Prince, which is still developing,we see the mind functioning and bought under control and direction by force and will. (I think this is the struggle and conflict people see within this card.) It is a stuggle and a battle, but the Prince gets there. In the Knight there is no question of struggle or battle, the Knights vector is absolute, there is no question of changing direction, like an arrow before it hits its target or a hawk, zooming, with total concentration, upon its prey. It is about totall concentration and one purpose, the steed is blinkered, it cannot look to the side only straight ahead. The prince shows effort of will, the Knight accomplished will in action.

Crowley empahsised great importance about these aspects of the mind. At one stage he felt his practices were failing, eventually he confided in Oscar Eckenstein (his mountaineering buddy, of all people) who pointed out the faults and gave Crowley mental concentration exercises. Crowley never looked back and always emphasised its importance.

16. To obtain Magical Power, learn to control thought; admit only those ideas that are in harmony with the end desired, and not every stray and contradictory Idea that presents itself.

17. Fixed thought is a means to an end. Therefore pay attention to the power of silent thought and meditation. The material act is but the outward expression of thy thought, and therefore hath it been said that "the thought of foolishness is sin." Thought is the commencement of action, and if a chance thought can produce much effect, what cannot fixed thought do?

LIber Librae.

firemaiden

ravenest said:
16. To obtain Magical Power, learn to control thought; admit only those ideas that are in harmony with the end desired, and not every stray and contradictory Idea that presents itself.

Thanks for posting this analysis of the development of (the discipline of) the mind from the Prince to the Knight, and this #16. Very interesting!

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
Other meanings include: Labour. Work. Success after anxiety. Passage from difficulty.
How very RWS (she said, drily). I know, I know - they all come back to the same thing.
Aeon418 said:
Spontaneous breakthroughs in science are very rare. The vast majority of science is based on trial and error. The scientist sets up an experiment. Observes the result and tries to identify what went wrong, so that he/she can set up a new experiment. The process is repeated again and again and again until success is achieved. The method of science is a journey (a journey by water?) that is based upon making mistakes and learning from them. (Like a child?) It's hardly ever plain sailing.
I see what you're saying, and your explanation has made an unequivocal link for me between the card and the (to me) absurd title. The link to the Prince is a little more . . . nebulous, for me, and I'll have to ponder it some more.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

ravenest said:
I think it is better to compare this card with the Knight of Swords. In the Prince, which is still developing,we see the mind functioning and bought under control and direction by force and will. (I think this is the struggle and conflict people see within this card.) It is a stuggle and a battle, but the Prince gets there. In the Knight there is no question of struggle or battle, the Knights vector is absolute, there is no question of changing direction, like an arrow before it hits its target or a hawk, zooming, with total concentration, upon its prey. It is about totall concentration and one purpose, the steed is blinkered, it cannot look to the side only straight ahead. The prince shows effort of will, the Knight accomplished will in action.
Brilliant comparison, ravenest. I absolutely see what you're saying.

BTW, have you emptied your PM box? ;)

\m/ Kat

ravenest

Yep ... did you get my answer?

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Yep ... did you get my answer?
I did, I'm trying to reply but your inbox is full :( or maybe it's your outbox?

\m/ Kat

ravenest

thorhammer said:
I did, I'm trying to reply but your inbox is full :( or maybe it's your outbox?

\m/ Kat

Sorry kat, (I'm such a dill!) I read "read PM box' not empty Pm box and yes of course it is full ... but now I've forgotten how to empty it ... how do i do that again?

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Sorry kat, (I'm such a dill!) I read "read PM box' not empty Pm box and yes of course it is full ... but now I've forgotten how to empty it ... how do i do that again?
Umm . . . go to Inbox . . . check the little grey boxes at the right of the messages you don't want any more, then go to the bottom and there's a little drop-down menu. Choose Delete and press GO :D.

Remember to do the Sent Items folder, as well. ;)

\m/ Kat