The Icky Green Deck- Not so icky!

gregory

OTO have no borders on the backs, too.....

Abrac

Come to think of it, I believe I used to have one of these green decks. It was the first Thoth I ever owned. I purchased it around 1985, but it's long gone now. Go figure. Great scans btw Lee, thanks.

-fof

gregory

Well - I have one coming now..... This should be fun ! :D

And it looks a LOT greener than the one on tarotgarden's scan.....!!

Emily

I find the green Thoth does have a dreamlike feel about it. I always think its like looking at the cards through a greenish haze because the images aren't as crisp looking as the normal coloured Thoth. It does have a very different vibe compared to my other Thoths.

Abrac

I bagged a greenie! :D

This morning I suddenly remembered a big Thoth deck that I'd seen several times at a local flea market, so I booked it over there armed with the new info I have about the greenie. I opened it up, and there it was in glorious green. It's published by Weiser, and the box says Copyright 1978, 1983 so it has to be post '83. A lot of the images look remarkably good and I can't detect any greenish haze or anything like that, but a few of the cards look really faded. It's a damn shame. The card stock is much better than the current Weiser version though. All in all I really like this deck, it has a certain charm, but if I could find one with consistently good images I wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

-fof

Emily

Hi Fools_Fool,

What colour is your box? Is it the white version? If it is look at the 2 Wands and see if the Wands are like double exposed. In my deck thats a very blurry card. Alot of the cards of the green Thoth are hazy but even so congratulations on your new deck :)

Abrac

Mine has the green box with the Two of Disks on the front Emily. Which one do you have?

Actually, my Two of Wands is one of the better cards in mine, not blurry at all.

-fof

Lillie

Hi.

I've always assumed that the weiser greenie was the same as the USG greenie, but in a different box.
But I never had the chance to find out.

So, can I ask a couple of questions?

What 'extra' cards do you have?
If you have the hexagram, what colour is it?
Is the deck printed in Belgium?
The LWB. What is in it? Does it have the essays by Harris?

My USG Greenie is copyright 78 & 83 to SR Kaplan and Donald Weiser.
So I assume this was a joint thing between the two companies.
The LWB says it is the 12th printing, and the mention of a email address and a web site dates it contextually pretty late. The original owner said it was bought new around 2000.
My 2 wands is very clear, very sharp. But quite a few cards have the green haze, and a muted, pastelly colour tone. The empress is a good example of this. Dreamlike, as Emily says.
But no blurryness on any of the cards.

Also, I saw your post in the OOP decks thread.
This deck is not worth very much. In both Weiser and USG versions it is common and comes up a lot on Ebay.
Sellers are always calling it rare and vintage, It is certainly not rare, Ggreenies were published for over 20 years! and considering it was being published in this form a few years ago it is hardly vintage either.
sometimes I have seen them go high because two people get in a war over it.
I wouldn't pay more than £10 for one. (I paid a bit less for mine)
$15 seems a fair price. so long as the deck is complete and in good condition.

Abrac

Hi

The USG version you're describing sounds exactly like my Weiser. I believe your assumption about them being the same is probably correct.

It came with:

UH card(red on black)
OTO card
Blank card

Printed in Belgium

The LWB is by James Wasserman and is copyrighted 1978, 1983 Stuart R. Kaplan and Donald Weiser; LWB has two essays by LFH.

I don't see anything that says what printing it is. Would that be the numbers 00, 01, 02, 03, etc? If so, mine is 13.

The cards do have a hazy, dreamlike appearance and is especially noticable on The Priestess and The Empress. Both of them appear washed out, but none of the cards are blurry.

The cards themselves are in great condition and don't appear very old. The box, however, is another story; it was beat up pretty bad. Such a big deck really needs a more heavy-duty box, but hey, nothing a little tape can't fix. I now have a fully-laminated box! :D

My greenie may not be that valuable monetarily, but it has sentimental value. I'm pretty sure this deck is the same as the first Thoth I purchased in 1985.

Thanks a lot Lillie :)

-fof

Emily

Hi Fools-fool,

Mine is the whitebox Samuel Weiser version - the LWB is 1978 - 1983.

Even the keywords are done in a dark green ink and I've never noticed that before.

I've just got the Prince of Disks out from my green Thoth and my normal large Thoth - its really quite amazing to see these two decks side by side but I think I like the font used on the green one better.

Edited:-

Its a little greener than that in real life but the scan isn't showing it.

Attachments

• Thoth .JPG
    Thoth .JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Thoth Sun.JPG
    Thoth Sun.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 143