Crystals for beginners?

Yineth

Hello,

I've been kind of on the fence about using crystals with my tarot cards (and for general everyday use.)
Is there any specific stones or crystals that are recommended as introductory items?

-Yin

Hemera

I started with Amethyst and Rose quartz. Both are very powerful crystals but also gentle and you can´t really do any harm with them imo. Amethyst works particularly well with tarot cards.

Yineth

I started with Amethyst and Rose quartz. Both are very powerful crystals but also gentle and you can´t really do any harm with them imo. Amethyst works particularly well with tarot cards.

I did consider purchasing a quartz and amethyst, but I wasn't sure in what form. I understand they're available as tumble stones -- is this just another word for, "Hey I'm portable and easy to fit in your pocket~!"

Also, is it better to buy in bulk or just a piece?

Hemera

I guess it´s just a matter of taste?
I use tumbled stones with tarot cards so that the cards (or my tarot pouches) will not get scratched or broken or anything.

omshanti72

Hi

I'm in agreement with Hemera - Amethyst is such a useful stone to have in your collection and would be useful in helping you connect with your cards on a spiritual level and protect the energies of the cards.

Lapis would also enable you to connect to your cards and increase your psychic abilities. Rainbow moonstone would also work in a similar way. If you're simply wanting to keep a crystal in your tarot pouch for protection of energies then Black Tourmaline or Labradorite would be useful.

Clear quartz can be programmed for any purpose so you can't go wrong with a quartz point. Maybe read about some of these stones and choose using your gur feeling. Enjoy working with the mineral kingdom, they never stop teaching you.

With blessings - omshanti

Yineth

Thank you both for your advice. I'll take them all into account and seek out which crystals call out to me the most.

-Yin

Kosjitov

Tumbled stones are usually shinier and look polished. Points are available (like my citrine with a honey gold tip), raw aka "natural" stone, clusters, and geodes.

I would recommend quartz, rose quartz, amethyst, citrine for starters. I have an iolite piece that I am currently very fond of and was happy to add to my starter collection. I will be adding labradorite, moonstone (the non rainbowy variety), and flourite to the group as soon as nice samples become available in the store I shop at.

Don't be afraid to "test" the stones you want to buy, and don't hesitate to put down those that don't ressonate with you. I found a strange piece of amethyst that tingled with an almost electric spark. My iolite does the same but to a lesser degree :)

CJ7

Resonation

Hello,

I've been kind of on the fence about using crystals with my tarot cards (and for general everyday use.)
Is there any specific stones or crystals that are recommended as introductory items?

-Yin

I agree with the last post. Find stones that resonate with you. Something you have a connection with.

For example, most of the beginner stones and I do not get along. Rose Quartz feels funny and one of them broke on me, I'm not a fan of Amethyst as it feels cold and blank and while citrine is nice, it doesn't add anything for me.

Tiger Eye, Bloodstone and Aventurine actually resonate with me best while my moonstone gives me the heebie jeebies.

I would suggest trying the smaller pieces and then working your way up to a larger piece as stones can be quite expensive.

Also be aware of which stones mix with which. So if you are going to buy a rose quartz necklace make sure you wear something else that complements it (if you are going to wear more than one piece).